SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WWII Veteran requests 100 cards for his 100th birthday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII Veteran requests 100 cards for his 100th birthday. Login/Join 
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I'm in mailed my birthday card to him on the 27th..

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to get those cards in the mail if you're going to send one.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My son made him one, sending it off tomorrow

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

My favorite dog card went out today which opens up and the eyes and tongue sticks out. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
One of the local units near Ft. Worth should send a color guard to the nursing home to deliver a card.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i saw this one Sniper'sHide...i sent him one too.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That guy is gonna get a ton of cards. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Snippet below hits right in the ol' feels does it not?
I thought maybe some forum members might want to participate.

SNIP:
Letters hold a special place in South’s heart, as his girlfriend, Sophie, wrote him one for each day he was at war, he told local ABC affiliate WFAA. He and Sophie went on to marry, and they were wed for 55 years before her death in 2001.

Article link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...y8?OCID=ansmsnnews11

James, on the chance that you somehow see this...a very Happy Birthday to you sir! I hope all your birthday wishes come true...and i wish you many more to come.

Please know that what you did all those years ago made a difference. Thank you for your service sir...you are not forgotten.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am really sorry I just saw this thread. I need to pay better attention.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like he got near 100,000 birthday cards.

"the nearly 100,000 cards he received after a simple Facebook posting asking for 100 birthday cards went viral and garnered national and international attention."
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAnta...orld-war-ii-veteran/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Looks like he got near 100,000 birthday cards.

"the nearly 100,000 cards he received after a simple Facebook posting asking for 100 birthday cards went viral and garnered national and international attention."
https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAnta...orld-war-ii-veteran/

Smile Good deal! Hope he is able to spread out reading them over the days and years to come.

It would be nice to find a way to implement something like this for all our other veterans as well...or at least the ones interested in participating.

Reading that VA article, I had never heard of the Veteran of the Day program...that's kinda neat! I might have to submit a few entries.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I am really sorry I just saw this thread. I need to pay better attention.
Me, too!

I'll bet his postperson hates him.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I imagine more will roll in over the next day or three- this isn’t likely over yet Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post