SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll for atheists to answer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll for atheists to answer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
“I think you’re an atheist.”
“We’re all atheists. You don’t believe in Zeus or Thor or Neptune or Augustus Caesar or Mars or Venus or Sun Ra. You reject a thousand gods. Why should it bother you if someone else rejects a thousand and one”

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I am the son of a protestant minister. I tried to believe, but was never convinced even as a child.

I am an agnostic humorist. I don't know if there is a supreme being, but I see a lot of humor in those who know for certain there is or isn't a supreme being.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
"There are no atheists in foxholes."

If that were true, it would tell us much more about human frailties and foxholes than about atheists. But of course it’s not true. Hundreds of millions of Asians have occupied foxholes or are prepared to do so without any belief in a personal god that will save them from the hazards of being in a foxhole. And then there are the many Westerners who have been in foxholes or in similar circumstances who had no expectation of supernatural succor.

Despite what is often assumed by the ignorant and the relatively few exceptions, most atheists in America don’t advertise the fact of their active unbelief. When two atheists first meet each other, it usually takes time for each to suspect it of the other. Then there’s often a little dance around the subject with a slow spiral in toward the mutual recognition. Even after recognition occurs, few atheists are obsessed by religion, and not surprisingly. They therefore find other things to talk about, and especially when being polite around religious associates.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
This is looking like an interesting thread. As a deist, I hope it goes for some time.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
I am the son of a protestant minister. I tried to believe, but was never convinced even as a child.

I am an agnostic humorist. I don't know if there is a supreme being, but I see a lot of humor in those who know for certain there is or isn't a supreme being.

I've got both a very similar background and current position. Christianity was very important to both my parents. My father was a minister-turned-chaplain, but it was Mom who was more insistent that we went to Sunday school and church every single Sunday. To the credit of both of them and our church, it was very rare that I felt like things were forced on me. My father especially was wise to the ways of the world and let me form my own opinions based on my own experiences.

I consider myself an atheist in that I see no good reason to believe in a deity, so I don't believe in one. I admit I could be wrong.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer Mark123s question, for me an atheist is someone denies any conviction or belief in a higher being or existence. And an agnostic is someone who has no opinion, for or against, a higher being.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I was raised with Christian values, but never joined any church. Belief was never automatic in things like pillars of salt, and bottomless fish baskets. I did spend 3-6 grade at a SDA school, but was never a member of the church. That made it a little difficult. I often muze in my mind about Creation and Big Bang Theory (Bernadette!) In either one, if there was a "beginning", what was before?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post