SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll for atheists to answer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll for atheists to answer Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Please don't read anything into this. I just want to see if one of my observations holds water.

Question:
Being an atheist, were you brought up with any religion?

I would ask that no one discuss their choice.

Choices:
I was brought up muslim
I was brought up jewish
I was brought up catholic
I was brought up protestant
I was brought up in what other Christian denominations may consider a cult (even if unjustified)
I was brought up with no religion (atheist from the start)

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find there are more agnostics than true atheists.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I hadn't considered that but it's a good point. Let's allow this one to run and then ask if agnostics would participate in another poll.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Your options just don't cover enough. I wasn't raised with any specific religion, per say. My mother was raised Catholic, my father Protestant, though he never really participated.

I was not, however, "atheist from the start". Religion just typically wasn't addressed in my household growing up. Nobody went to church. Nobody ever really mentioned religion. Any lack of belief was not mentioned either.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Your options just don't cover enough. I wasn't raised with any specific religion, per say. My mother was raised Catholic, my father Protestant, though he never really participated.

I was not, however, "atheist from the start". Religion just typically wasn't addressed in my household growing up. Nobody went to church. Nobody ever really mentioned religion.
Were you baptized into either catholic or protestant or ever taken to either as a child? If no, the last option can be chosen. I should have left out "(atheist from the start)" part. I can't change it or it will reset the poll.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree, I voted nonetheless. I wouldn't want to dismiss the possibility

P220 SAO (EDC) (plus 22 conversion) and a variety of Carry / Compacts with some part swapping); Colt Model 70; P226 DA/SA; P226 Elite SAO & 357SIG Conversion, P320 FS & SC; P238; Sig 1911 Max; Colt Officer ACP;P365 (alternate EDC)

Posts: 595 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to be agnostic, but now I'm not sure.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I responded although I consider myself agnosticish. I am probably atheist by definition as I am thoroughly convinced there is no God or supernatural spiritual forces at play. However, I find atheist to be assholes in general and don't wish to be associated in any way with their hate for our country's cultural foundation which is clearly built upon Christian values. And I like Christmas a lot Big Grin

Sorry for the thread drift.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I was raised a Catholic in a Catholic country when religion still had a significant grasp on society and politics.
I didn't pay much attention to it, just went with the flow and through the motions.
I joined the Scouts at one point, briefly.
Unbeknownst to me or me caring or seeing anything into it, I followed friends into Opus De. Again, going through the motions.
This was my early teens and the times of the Juntas and internal struggling.
Human rights? We don't need no human rights! If you get my drift...
Then I went to a free Mason's University in Europe and we sang about free choices (can't recall the proper English expression right now) and the Church was a bad thing (the institution, not the faith). A thing of oppression.

Goes to show you how your life can move in pendular directions.
In Japan I met the Tenry Kyu Church and their ethics and was fascinated. Not unlike SF crowd helping each other selflessly.

But I am not much of a believer or a follower /practitioner. If I were to state it, I believe God is everything, everywhere and everyone.
Our ethics make us and the environment where we live in.

I can live without a religion, any religion. Or I can live with all of them as they're the human expression of what we need to believe when we lack of better explanations or ways to put it for general benefit.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
What about Satanists?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You forgot Orthodox on your list. Be it Russian or otherwise.
Didn't vote because it wasn't on there but I'm not an atheist. Waiting for the agnostic poll.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I was not, however, "atheist from the start". Religion just typically wasn't addressed in my household growing up. Nobody went to church. Nobody ever really mentioned religion.
Were you baptized into either catholic or protestant or ever taken to either as a child? If no, the last option can be chosen. I should have left out "(atheist from the start)" part. I can't change it or it will reset the poll.

No for me on those.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No religious background in my childhood. I believe my fathers WWII experience turned him from religion. And my police experience has definitely caused me to doubt the ideal of a merciful, benevolent savior.
That said, I guess I am a hopeful agnostic.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was raised by Buddhists parents in their religion. I practice no religion.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
"Thank God I'm an atheist."

~Luis Bunuel

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I left anyone out in the choices and thank you for the discussion and votes.

My expectations were for catholic and protestant to be reversed as, in my personal experience, every atheist I know was raised catholic. That's only 9 people so it's in no way representative. In my personal opinion, the protestant religions are actually catholic, so that's a distinction without a difference anyway.

Thank you for the civil discussion.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
No religious background in my childhood. I believe my fathers WWII experience turned him from religion. And my police experience has definitely caused me to doubt the ideal of a merciful, benevolent savior.
That said, I guess I am a hopeful agnostic.
Just to be clear, do you consider atheism rejection of religion or rejection of the idea of deities?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One of the things that derails almost all discussions of lack of religious belief is the definitions of the words. According to common American English dictionaries “theism” means the belief in a god or gods. The “a” in atheism means a lack of such belief—and that’s all. There’s nothing in the word that implies a “cold certainty,” “arrogance,” or even “assholery” any more than there is in such words as Christianity or Islam.

Everyone starts life as an atheist because a belief in a god or gods is acquired through culture, other instruction, or a spontaneous effort to understand the mysteries of life. All that requires thought, knowledge, and communication, things that are absent or not well developed in infants. And although many “hard” atheists believe there are no supernatural entities at all such as souls or spirits, that’s not a strict requirement of atheism.

As Irving Klotz observed, “Science has no vicar on the earth to reveal doctrine and no central committee to proclaim dogma.” By definition the same is true of atheism or other religious unbelief. No one else’s beliefs about atheism or how they express them has any bearing on my beliefs or how I express mine. I am no more responsible for their actions than I am for the actions of the guy who shoots up a school merely because we both own guns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"There are no atheists in foxholes."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One of the things that derails almost all discussions of lack of religious belief is the definitions of the words. According to common American English dictionaries “theism” means the belief in a god or gods. The “a” in atheism means a lack of such belief—and that’s all. There’s nothing in the word that implies a “cold certainty,” “arrogance,” or even “assholery” any more than there is in such words as Christianity or Islam.

Everyone starts life as an atheist because a belief in a god or gods is acquired through culture, other instruction, or a spontaneous effort to understand the mysteries of life. All that requires thought, knowledge, and communication, things that are not well developed in infants. And although many “hard” atheists believe there are no supernatural entities at all such as souls or spirits, that’s not a strict requirement of atheism.

As Irving Klotz observed, “Science has no vicar on the earth to reveal doctrine and no central committee to proclaim dogma.” By definition the same is true of atheism or other religious unbelief. No one else’s beliefs about atheism or how they express them has any bearing on my beliefs or how I express mine. I am no more responsible for their actions than I am for the actions of the guy who shoots up a school merely because we both own guns.

All good points, sigfreund.
I particularly like this one:
Everyone starts life as an atheist because a belief in a god or gods is acquired through culture, other instruction, or a spontaneous effort to understand the mysteries of life. All that requires thought, knowledge, and communication, things that are not well developed in infants.

Our culture, in my opinion, has devolved.
This country was once a place where such instruction was common. It's still available, if you seek it, but the culture discourages it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post