SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The appliance guys at my house right now are clueless on how to make repairs. Kinda comical but not really.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The appliance guys at my house right now are clueless on how to make repairs. Kinda comical but not really. Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
I do all my own stunts unless it's a costly specialty tool involved or the item in need of repair is under warranty.

Well our GE top loader washer is under warranty. There are two guys here trying their hardest to figure out how to install a belt. I could tell them that all you need is a zip tie to hold the belt on the main pulley while you reach in and pull in a counter clockwise direction. The zip tie holds the belt on the large tub pulley while rotating the assy the tight ass belt will slip on with little to no trouble.

Well I'm not. Because one of the guys was the original "tech", I use that term loosely, on initial service call. So belt was off and tried to put it on. Couldn't after about 2 minutes and claimed it needed 2 techs and a new belt. So he left.

That was 4 weeks ago. I have been on phone several times with service and the warranty company. I finally told them that it had a fail bearing and it needed parts not a belt. Of course the service company said we have to put a new belt on then re-diag. So I said ok I'll play the game.

Thing is the tech never diagnosed the failure. He just saw a belt off and said it's a belt. No it's a bearing failure. You can clearly see ball bearing inside the bottom pan of the unit. There is also metal pieces there. The bearing has a piece of metal sticking out of it also. But no we still need to install belt to re-test. The belt comes off due to failed bearing allowing pulleys to be out of alignment.

Ok. Go ahead. Because they still haven't got the belt on and it's been an hour. When they finally leave and it's not fixed I will be calling warranty and requesting a real repair company to repair it. Or to go ahead and replace the unit for failing to be repaired. It's what the warranty says is to happen.

The warranty company is through HD. They have been excellent. But the local repair company sucks ass.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, I've run into similar many times. Seem to be fewer and fewer people with any mechanical aptitude under 30. I grew up side by side with my dad working on ANY project. We built a horse barn when I was a teen. It's just not that hard to figure things out if you put a little thought and effort into it.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, mechanical problem solving is a lost art. Maybe schools should think about adding shop classes again.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
And just about anything is on YouTube to show you how.

Well these guys finally gave up. Said it's "not fixable" and will request for it to be replaced. That's fine if I get a full price replacement. I will be contacting warranty tomorrow.

It is sad that folks can't or won't do their job. Or are not given the proper training to do so.

And what really chaps my ass is that there is this repair company milking the warranty companies to keep the business alive. How do you have a repair company if your "techs" are not trained how to repair? How do you provide any retail services if you don't have properly trained "techs".

I just needed to vent. Life goes on and I can assure you I won't loose any sleep over this.

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sad. Did you at least give them their participation trophy so that they won't feel too bad?

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
If I had done that I would be missing one of my shoes.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
So instead of a $30 bearing and a belt they are going to buy you a new one. Well I guess good on you for keeping your mouth shut and getting a new appliance Big Grin

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nearly everything is fixable, especially appliances. Bunch of chumps.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the sad state of things right now. Car repair, appliance repair, computer repair and so on.
Seems we live in a disposable world anymore.
I fixed my own dryer last year. Replaced a belt and a plastic piece that I can't remember what it's called. Took me about 10 minutes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Heck, my wife was even able to fix our washer a couple of months ago when it crapped out while I was out at sea.

She told me over the phone what it was doing (filling the tub to the point of overflowing) so I told her what to check. She doesn't like doing that type of stuff (she says that's the man's job), but she's also fearless and motivated when she has no choice.

By herself she removed the control panel cover, located the pressure switch, and repaired the tubing which was the cause of the problem. Boom, in no time she was doing laundry again.

She charged me a bottle of champagne for the repair. Roll Eyes Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Lowe's must have sent their cousins out to repair our washing machine. Bosch Front loader door gasket torn after about three weeks use.

Guy proceeds to tell my wife that it was not under warranty and she would have to pay $200 bucks for parts plus labor.
She called me just after they left, I called the appliance repair company. We had a very one sided discussion of what they would do after they attempted to bully me too. They initially refused to cancel the order and refund the C/C deposit she made, that got changed real quick.

Back to Lowe's that evening to Appliance Department. They tagged my extended warranty with "Do not send XXX Appliance for service calls, customer will refuse to allow them on property"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
And the "tech" ask me how much we paid for washer before he mentioned he was recommending replacement. I told him $600. He immediately said no way it cost $600, this model is a $350 washer. I said, nope $600 let me show you the receipt. Showed the receipt. He still insisted it only cost $350 even after looking at receipt. And he wasn't saying "it should have been or I would have thought it was $350", he was adiment about it costing only $350 new not $600. I said I was fine with a replacement but it would be a $600 credit not a $350, per my original receipt.

Yet he forgets what he said to me on his initial visit. First thing he said when he saw the unit, "I have the exact unit. It's the best one out there. We never have any repair calls on this model. They are great units. I can't believe it's broke." Yet it's broke, you have no clue on how to fix it and you have no clue on how much it cost. Roll Eyes

I have an AM doc appt with kiddos. So later when I can sit on phone with no interruptions I'll be following up with HD warranty.