SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Hyundai Sonata Experts? I Need Advice: FINAL UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Hyundai Sonata Experts? I Need Advice: FINAL UPDATE Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
My daughter has a 2015 Sonata that has been an excellent car, but today it did something strange while she was stopped at an intersection. When it was time to go forward, the car went a few feet, but then the gas pedal didn't do anything as she pressed it and the brake pedal also wouldn't operate. It just rolled forward a few feet and stopped. It's like the engine cut off, but the engine never quit.

I just drove the heck out of it; stopped, started, stopped, etc and I couldn't replicate the problem.

Anybody heard of anything like this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TigerDore,

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 2013 Sonata and something simular happened several weeks ago. A ECO code showed up on the dash panel. later that evening at 0300am the local sheriff knocking at front door because they saw my brake lights stuck on . they wanted to make sure someone wasn"t passed out behind the steering wheel. had to pull stoplight fuse under hood to get lights to turn off. Found the stoplight switch bumper pad damaged . after the pad was replaced the lights worked properly and the ECO code went away and no more promblems since. Do not know if this helps . Can not explain. Owners manual really was not much help with the ECO code on dash panel........... ...............drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
drill sgt, that's it! I didn't recognize the ECO light earlier, but your response turned the light bulb on in my head. I went out and checked the car and that code is being displayed.

You have given me something to work with now. Thank you!

This forum is amazing. I don't think it has been stumped yet.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
drill sgt, that's it! I didn't recognize the ECO light earlier, but your response turned the light bulb on in my head. I went out and checked the car and that code is being displayed.

Oh come on, don't thank him, just drop down and give him 20! (push ups, not bucks)

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same thing happened on our 2012 Sonata a bunch of years ago. We still have it, and it’s going strong!

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

Oh come on, don't thank him, just drop down and give him 20! (push ups, not bucks)
^^^^^ Any at the top of each push up sound off (thank you Drill Sgt.) like you got a pair .........................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

We got the car back the next day. They said it was fine. I drove it less than eight miles and it quit. Just plain quit. Dead.

We had it towed back to the dealership. After inspection, it turns out the engine died, literally. The car was just outside of warranty, right at 5 years and just over 62k miles, but Hyundai replaced the engine as a warranty item. We pick it up tomorrow.

At this point, because they chose to do the right thing with zero haggling, I am pleased. I will know more tomorrow when I pick it up and put it through its paces.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPDATE:

We got the car back the next day. They said it was fine. I drove it less than eight miles and it quit. Just plain quit. Dead.

We had it towed back to the dealership. After inspection, it turns out the engine died, literally. The car was just outside of warranty, right at 5 years and just over 62k miles, but Hyundai replaced the engine as a warranty item. We pick it up tomorrow.

At this point, because they chose to do the right thing with zero haggling, I am pleased. I will know more tomorrow when I pick it up and put it through its paces.

Our 2013 sonata needed a new engine and it was just outside of the extended warranty (due to a class action suit for them failing). They did not replace it. This was a year after they had to replace the transmission.

Cost of a new engine was more than the value of the car.

I’m glad you were more fortunate. I’ll give the dealership credit, they looked out for us and were baffled when the warranty request was denied, given the circumstances and their experience. Win some, lose some.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPDATE:

Now sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Serious?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Serious?

Yeah, if the motor goes bad at 62k miles. For no reason (not overheating it, not running it out of oil), I wouldn't trust the rest of the car.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, if the motor goes bad at 62k miles..

I hadn't thought of it like that.

They have a good rating and I maintain my cars by the book. My thought was that this put life into the car, but I am not a mechanic. You have given me something to think about.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, if the motor goes bad at 62k miles..

I hadn't thought of it like that.

They have a good rating and I maintain my cars by the book. My thought was that this put life into the car, but I am not a mechanic. You have given me something to think about.

There's another member on here that had a 2013 ish hyundai sonata and had lots of issues with it.......can't remember his screen name......he lives in VA and an electrician.......the thread was on here but can't find it. Skins2881 had a thread on here about a 2013 they had a lot of problems with, including a blown motor. I can't find the thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
My 2004 and 2012 Hyundai Sonatas gave me excellent service with few problems. Many fewer than my former Toyota Camry. Now happily driving a 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited. It’s like Apple was when Steve Jobs was alive – everything just works, perfectly. The dealer is much better than my former Toyota dealer too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Not only did they put in a brand-new engine, they gave me a brand new warranty with it, another 60,000 miles.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
My 2004 and 2012 Hyundai Sonatas gave me excellent service with few problems. Many fewer than my former Toyota Camry. Now happily driving a 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited. It’s like Apple was when Steve Jobs was alive – everything just works, perfectly. The dealer is much better than my former Toyota dealer too.

I have a 2012 Elantra, bought in 2011. Kept it maintained. Low miles.

About 2 years ago, I was driving on a highway, 60 mph. Heard a loud noise and all the dash red lights came on. Engine quit.

Long story short, the oil drain plug had fallen out and of course all the oil leaked out. No oil pressure gauge, just an indicator bulb. Long story short,
after some spirited discussions with the dealership they replaced the engine, no cost. Their argument was that I had changed the oil, and not properly torqued the drain plug. I showed them receipts from where THEY had done the oil changes (free to me). Followed by a phone call from me to Hyundai corporate HQ. Promptly followed by the dealership replacing the engine at no cost.

I just went over 90K miles on the car and have zero problems with it. Other than that described above, which is no reflection on the car.

Wife just bought her new Sonata, and loves it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We had a 2018 Sonata. It was a great car. For what we paid for it, it was untouchable. Loaded with options, and it drove really well. If it wasn’t more enjoyable to have an off road truck here, I would still have the Sonata. It was a great car.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post