SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Romney forced into GOP primary for Utah Senate nomination
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romney forced into GOP primary for Utah Senate nomination Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Send the carpetbagger back to Massachusetts!

Let’s make that Michigan

Let's not.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Fuckin Romney... I cannot stand the smug, feckless, oily bastard. I fear too many Utah voters will not look past his glossy veneer to see the swamp creature that lies underneath.

Aware Republicans will not back him in the primaries. I hope there are enough aware Republicans. If he is the party nominee, I will vote for him....then I will finger induce vomiting.

Keep up the good fight out there, I don’t want you barfing in NOV.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Swaziland is looking for a president Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The sooner this SOB becomes irrelevant the better!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is he really too stupid to understand his anti-Trump utterings have cost him "biggly?"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Please tell me, at least in Utah, there's no chance the Republican infighting will hand the seat to the Democrats.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I checked his voting record and I am not OK voting for Kennedy. I'm not voting for anybody who supported SB71, the bill which allows every road in Utah to become a toll road at some point in the future.

https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/s...S&voteid=765&house=H

He also voted to move the State prison.

https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/s...S&voteid=606&house=H

He voted for the bill to spend $50 million to rename UTA.

https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/s...&voteid=1064&house=H

I do not like the idea of having the taxpayers pay for all kinds of road construction, through taxes, and bonding, then planning to make the roads we paid for toll roads. The prison costs were apparently low balled by at least $300 million, and the size of the prison was cut so the prison will be too small on the day it is opened.

Spending that much money to change UTA's name is an enormous waste of money, and an insult to our intelligence.

I have had enough with the Utah GOP consistently giving us stupid choices.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So you're okay handing the SCOTUS to the Democrats then?

quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I checked his voting record and I am not OK voting for Kennedy. I'm not voting for anybody who supported SB71, which he did.

I do not like the idea of having the taxpayers pay for all kinds of road construction, through taxes, and bonding, then planning to make the roads we paid for toll roads. I'm sure they have a good reason, they always do.

And I don't really like Mitt, either. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm not drinking the Utah GOPe cool aid anymore.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I checked his voting record and I am not OK voting for Kennedy. I'm not voting for anybody who supported SB71, which he did.

I do not like the idea of having the taxpayers pay for all kinds of road construction, through taxes, and bonding, then planning to make the roads we paid for toll roads. I'm sure they have a good reason, they always do.

And I don't really like Mitt, either. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm not drinking the Utah GOPe cool aid anymore.

This is why I'm super skeptical about politicians. They say all the right things and then when in power and with no one watching, they pull this stuff. Anymore I don't trust any of them as a default position. From there they earn my confidence.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, but good luck finding a politician that you agree with on every single issue, every time the issue is raised, in every way in which the issue is raised.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
So you're okay handing the SCOTUS to the Democrats then?

You are making an enormous assumption that either party is the party of the good guys. I have been a loyal Republican for 30+ years, and there is no one at any level who is representing my views anymore. No one.

Explain to me how Mia Love, who has said repeatedly that everything with regard to gun control is on the table, and who has to this point an A+ NRA-ILA rating, is representing me.

She is not, and there comes a point where the scare tactics do not work any more.

We need to wake up and insist on better quality representation, or some day soon the ones we all depend upon will surely betray us.

Didn't Mitt already support gun control in MA? Anyone think he is going to stand firm for our rights if something a lot worse than recent events happens?

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

This is why I'm super skeptical about politicians. They say all the right things and then when in power and with no one watching, they pull this stuff. Anymore I don't trust any of them as a default position. From there they earn my confidence.

It's not just Kennedy, it's my reps, too. I've talked to them. They claim they are against something, then they vote for it anyway.

The problem at the State level in Utah is the same problem we had in NJ. Where one party is in charge, and there is no competition, people are essentially chosen by the powers that be and handed the job. As a result, we end up with lousy representatives who do whatever they want.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not like the idea of having the taxpayers pay for all kinds of road construction, through taxes, and bonding, then planning to make the roads we paid for toll roads.

But you haven't paid for the roads through the appropriate taxes. Currently Utah is supplying $600 million from the general fund to cover road construction and maintenance. As more alternative fuel vehicles become the norm, the imbalance will become even more acute. Automated tolling is a way to make those who use the roads, pay for the roads, while minimizing the cost of collection. What is wrong with that?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Romney's a milquetoast do-nothing, a member of the UniParty. GFY, "Mitt", you weakling.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What is wrong with that?

First of all, at least here in Salt Lake County, UDOT has wasted an enormous amount of money creating intersections which are unsafe. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of $.

sigcrazy7, I respect your opinion on most things, but on this point I respectfully disagree. They will raise taxes on all of us, more than just the lost revenue for alternative-fueled vehicles. They are spending money with reckless abandon. They will create toll roads, increase vehicle registration fees on everyone, raise the gas tax, raise the sales tax, and still not have enough money unless they are more responsible.

I understand the argument that we are growing and we need better roads, but these things should be put to the people, and not dictated by fiat.

It's the father knows best attitude toward governing which ignores the will of the people I have an issue with here.

posted Hide Post
i gave up on Mittens when he let Obozo kick his ass in that last debate. He's not a leader.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Send the carpetbagger back to Massachusetts!

Let’s make that Michigan

Agreed. I don't want him back here. Please ask if there's room for Baker and his AG too.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What is wrong with that?

First of all, at least here in Salt Lake County, UDOT has wasted an enormous amount of money creating intersections which are unsafe. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of $.

sigcrazy7, I respect your opinion on most things, but on this point I respectfully disagree. They will raise taxes on all of us, more than just the lost revenue for alternative-fueled vehicles. They are spending money with reckless abandon. They will create toll roads, increase vehicle registration fees on everyone, raise the gas tax, raise the sales tax, and still not have enough money unless they are more responsible.

I understand the argument that we are growing and we need better roads, but these things should be put to the people, and not dictated by fiat.

It's the father knows best attitude toward governing which ignores the will of the people I have an issue with here.

While I see the need to fund the roads somehow, and I do like the idea of those who use something being the ones who pay for it, I must admit that I share your concerns. I don’t, however, believe I’ll disqualify Kennedy over SB71. I’ll vote for nearly anybody in the June primary over Romney. I disliked him during the Olympics in 2002 when he tried to ban guns in the venues, contrary to Utah law. Nothing since has changed my opinion about Romney. I only voted for Romney once because my other choice was Obama.

I worry about putting policy decisions to a vote. Years ago Spanish Fork voted to raise sales taxes to fund UTA and high speed rail. It was all emotion with a glitzy ad campaign. We’ve had the tax now for more than a decade, but no train. Voters operate on emotion without any hearings or committee findings. When asked to vote, most people will just vote their personal interests or operate on feelings, civic virtue be damned.

Know that I do share your concerns, though. There’s much about SB71 I dislike.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Well said, sigcrazy7.

I have reconsidered some of the thoughts I had in my frustration, having looked at the position of the D contender, who states she is for the 2nd amendment, but for another assault weapons ban. I understand what we are up against. Being a father, I want better than what we have for the sake of my children. I remember when we had Republican leaders with the courage to deal boldly with the issues at hand. Surely they were never perfect, but it seemed better than today.

For the sake of all who have paid dearly for the freedom we enjoy, we need leaders who do more than kick the can down the road.

posted Hide Post
Well, all of you guys out in Utah. Rep. Mike Kennedy's Mom is a member of my Ward here in Ann Arbor, and until this April's General Conference, I was assigned to be her HT!!!!!SmileSmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post