SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Epitaphs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Epitaphs Login/Join 
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted
I think there was a thread on this years ago but how about another go-round?
Please list any known or proposed epitaphs that are humorous, profound, or otherwise memorable. To start us off...

"Pardon My Dust" (attributed to a writer or other celebrity whose name I can't recall).

"This is, indeed, a grave situation" (my own)

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here lies Lester Moore
Four slugs from a .44
No Les
No more

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
W.C. Fields once (may have) said his was to be, "All in all, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mel Blanc

"That's all Folks"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here lies the body of Mary Lee
Died at the age of a hundred and three
For fifteen years she kept her virginity
Not a bad record for this vicinity

- Quoted by Robert Shaw as Captain Quint in Jaws. Shaw claims to have seen this epitaph on a headstone in Ireland.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lauderdale County
Mountain Tom Clark, outlaw, birth unknown-1872

Tom Clark, one of the most feared men in North Alabama in his day, is buried beneath Tennessee Street near Florence City Cemetery in Lauderdale County. The people of Florence dedicated a memorial plaque to mark the grave, the inscription of which reads, in part: “"The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him. In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil War, confessed to at least nineteen murders, including a child, and was hanged with two companions …”

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.powerfulwords.info/epitaphs/

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Here lie the bones of screwey Dick, Who was blessed at birth with a cork screw prick, His life he did lead as a futile hunt, In search of a girl with a cork screw ........., At last he did find her and now he lay dead, Dumb son of a bitch was a left hand thread. Thats from a dead machinists grave stone.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
BBL

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite -

"I knew something like this would happen someday"

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite:
Just Think!
Some night the stars will gleam,
upon a cold grey stone.
And trace a name with silver beam,
and lo, twill be your own!
That night is speeding on,
to greet your epitaphic rhyme.
Your life is but a little beat,
within the heart of time.
A little gain, a little pain.
A laugh, lest you moan.
A little blame, a little fame.
A star gleam on a stone.

Robert W. Service.
Poet laureate of the Yukon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
On a grave stone in Northumberland - NE England

'Sacred to the memory of Miss Lillian Pryle, born 1897 and Spinster of this parish and postmistress here from 1920 to her death, which occurred in 1966. 'Returned unopened'.

Thanks be to G*d'

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
As I am a Francophone, two small epitaphs in French...

'Un peu d'amour
Un peu d'espoir,
Et puis, Bonsoir'

A little love,
A little hope,
and then, Good Night.

And -

'Voici la vie - une étincelle entre deux obscuritées;

'This is life - a spark between two darknesses.'

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post