SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Longtime casket salesman John Gibbons laid to rest in one of his own models
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longtime casket salesman John Gibbons laid to rest in one of his own models Login/Join 
posted
John “Jack” Gibbons used to refer to his products as “underground bungalows” or “subterranean condominiums.”

He’s in the Tulip model.

One of the nation’s longest-serving, most successful casket salesmen, he picked it out a few decades ago because he liked its simplicity.

“We call it the Gibbons family special,” said his daughter Sally Milito, “because everyone in our family has been buried in it.”

John “Jack” and Peggy Gibbons. | Provided photo

Though he didn’t go on sales calls anymore, the 91-year-old was still getting commissions until he died March 4. He’d built up a loyal customer base among the funeral homes where he sold the rectangular repositories from Curtis Casket Company.

“From 1948 until the day he died, he was still employed,” said Del Pratt, a general manager for sales and distribution at Curtis Plus.

His almost 70-year career is “a damn-near record,” said Michael Beardsley, historian for the Casket & Funeral Supply Association of America.

After Mr. Gibbons returned from serving in the Navy in World War II, “he only had one job,” his daughter said, “and that was at Curtis Casket.”

In the halcyon days of manufacturing following the war, Chicago was home to Curtis and more than 40 other casket makers, according to Pratt.

Mr. Gibbons “told me that he loved his occupation and could not wait to get in his car in the morning,” said Joel VerPlank, president of Curtis Plus. “He told me that he would sing going down the freeway between calls.”

He knew every funeral director “from Indiana, to downstate Illinois, to the Wisconsin border,” said Kevin O’Donnell, a director at Grein funeral home, 2114 W. Irving Park Rd.

If clients asked for an extra-wide or extra-long casket — or maybe a leopard-print interior — “he got whatever you wanted,’’ O’Donnell said.

In 1986, he handled the custom order from A.R. Leak Funeral Home for slain drug kingpin Flukey Stokes. “It had a copper tank liner and a glass top,” Pratt said. “He was laid out with his pager and a coffee cup.”

Still, that looked conservative compared to the “Cadillac coffin” for Stokes’ son, Willie “The Wimp.” After he was shot, Stokes ordered a casket for his son from a rival manufacturer tricked out to resemble a Cadillac Seville. Famed bluesman Stevie Ray Vaughan even sang about it.

John and Peggy Gibbons in Monaco. They enjoyed cruises. As he used to say, “Not bad for a kid from 69th Street and a girl from Gage Park.” | Provided photo

With Mr. Gibbons’ sunny outlook, corny jokes, and uncanny ability to drop in at a funeral home just as the undertakers were sitting down to a tasty lunch, he built rapport and relationships, O’Donnell said. Mr. Gibbons especially liked it when South Side funeral directors ordered in Vito & Nick’s pizza, according to friends and relatives.

“His customers wanted to see the latest model of caskets, but only after asking to see the latest crazy pair of socks he was wearing,’’ said his son John.

“He’d cross his leg and you’d see these colored socks with polka dots and bright colors,” said funeral director Bernie Dalcamo Jr.

People liked him. And they knew he was raising six kids on commission. So when he asked funeral directors if they’d order the purple or green caskets Curtis couldn’t seem to unload, “because it was Jack, people would buy them,” O’Donnell said.

“And, they’d sit on their showroom floors for years.”

On weekends, when Curtis delivery drivers were off, “we used to deliver them in our family station wagon,” his daughter said.

Young John grew up the oldest of seven kids in St. Brendan’s parish in Englewood. His Irish parents were from Louisburgh, County Mayo. He graduated from De La Salle Institute.

He met Peggy O’Neill, who would become his wife of 66 years, at McGinty’s pub at 73rd and Cottage Grove. “Beer was a nickel. My mom ordered a mixed drink for a dime,” his daughter said. “He hoped she was worth it, and she was!”

He and his wife enjoyed cruises to the Caribbean and the Panama Canal. They also visited Europe and Israel. But, “They felt they really made it when their children were all college graduates,” according to their son.

As Mr. Gibbons put it: “Not bad for a kid from 69th Street and a girl from Gage Park.”

He enjoyed any restaurant with a buffet. “A Rainbow Cone, and that’s all he needed,” said his daughter.

He and his wife most recently lived at the Admiral at the Lake, where “he never ever went more than one or two days without one of [his] kids visiting him,” said his daughter.

Mr. Gibbons is also survived by his daughters Peggie Vizza, Marie Ryan and Nancy Gibbons; son Kevin; sisters Marie Luebke and Kathryn Alesia; a brother, James, and 10 grandchildren.

He was buried with two different socks to represent the colleges of two of his grandchildren: the University of Southern California and the Virginia Military Institute.

Here is the Link: https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...e-of-his-own-models/

Truly one of a kind.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
He was buried with two different socks

One of my nieces has never worn matching socks since it became her decision to make. Is it the "thing" these days?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:

One of my nieces has never worn matching socks since it became her decision to make. Is it the "thing" these days?

One of the Jr DFs wore Superman socks to his wedding, pics and reception. Gomer...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Do they even make pine boxes anymore? I've told my family when my time comes, lay me out in a pine box, because I sure as heck am not going to notice the difference at that point!

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
Do they even make pine boxes anymore? I've told my family when my time comes, lay me out in a pine box, because I sure as heck am not going to notice the difference at that point!

http://theoldpinebox.com/

I actually did a lot of research on this after my grandfather passed late last year. Buying caskets online is usually a 1/4 of the cost of buying one in the funeral home and there are a ton more options. Including a simple pine box.

Me, I've been contemplating building my own. Which is also allowed.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Buying caskets online is usually a 1/4 of the cost of buying one in the funeral home and there are a ton more options.

Yeah, but like a restaurant may have a corking charge if you bring your own wine, does the funeral home likewise upcharge you? A "placement" fee?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Buying caskets online is usually a 1/4 of the cost of buying one in the funeral home and there are a ton more options.

Yeah, but like a restaurant may have a corking charge if you bring your own wine, does the funeral home likewise upcharge you? A "placement" fee?
They're prohibited from doing so:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/a...300-ftc-funeral-rule

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Gibbons is also survived by his daughters Peggie Vizza , Marie Ryan and Nancy Gibbons; son Kevin; sisters Marie Luebke and Kathryn Alesia; a brother, James, and 10 grandchildren.

I must be hungry. I read the first daughter's name as Veggie Pizza. Wink

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Costco for coffins...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
quote:
Mr. Gibbons is also survived by his daughters Peggie Vizza , Marie Ryan and Nancy Gibbons; son Kevin; sisters Marie Luebke and Kathryn Alesia; a brother, James, and 10 grandchildren.

Hahaha!!! Me, too!!!

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I dunno, but there was a bar in Pensacola, ? Jon’s (?), where if you ever caught him wearing matching socks, he’d pay you a bunch of money. I want to say the amount, but my memory is so fuzzy at this point I don’t have a clue what it was. I just remember it seemed like an awfully big number at the time.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those not acquainted with Willie the Wimp.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
quote:

I did, too. But I actually have a pizza in the works. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post