SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Input from the Forum minds...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input from the Forum minds... Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
My neighbor, and when I say neighbor I mean his home is 10' from my driveway. Has decided to raise some chickens. Some background: I live in a small city in NH. My house is in a 1940s development of Cape Cod style homes. Back to the story and plot: These little fuckers stink! Their shit is so rank. We sat out back by the pool for dinner and could smell it wafting its way to my backyard. We live in a "city" neighborhood, not out of town in Farm Country. Perhaps Im just venting, but it stinks! They had chickens last year and got a Rooster in the mix, I finally went over and asked if they wanted me to chop its head off as it was Cockadoodledoing all day long. They fi ally sold it. Should I ask them to move it away from my property? I like to keep the piece between neighbors as we live right next door, but.... thoughts please. Thanks Guys!

Question:
What to do?

Choices:
ignore the smell
put a fan outdoors and blow the smell back?
ask neighbor to get rid of them? move the pen?
kill all the chickens at night and blame a Coyote?

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ain't smelled nothin' yet. Summers coming.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check into the city code on poultry raising before I did anything.

Posts: 12582 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
No laws on the books prohibiting this? If not invite your councilman over for a visit.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
First I would check with the city to see if it's even allowed to keep animals like that. If it's not allowed, call the city. If it is allowed, put a fan and blast that shit back to them but they're probably used to it. Or you could just kidnap them and fry the bastards up and throw the fried chicken back in their yard. Big Grin

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No town regulations against this? Seems there should be.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, your first step is to research your city ordinance and zoning rules.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Start breeding snakes, I can bring you a few. Caught a pregnant copperhead today Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
There are Pros and cons to living in an area without an HOA. You just found one of the cons.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
There are Pros and cons to living in an area without an HOA. You just found one of the cons.

It's situations like this, and many others such as lawn maintenance, that make me want to live in an HOA. We live in one now but they're toothless, they don't enforce anything so I bypass them and go straight to the county.

Seems like it's really asking too much for people to be good neighbors these days.

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Beat me to it and, braillediver is right.

Just be glad you don't live in Ind. around any Hog farmers, man does it get ripe early in the morning when they are spreading it from the farrowing barns.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Fuck neighbors, and fuck your neighbor. Do you really give a shit about his feelings? Does your quality of life mean less to you than his feelings or his chickens?

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This, check the codes. Most cities don't allow farm animals.......if so, make an anonymous call to code enforcement...

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

This, check the codes. Most cities don't allow farm animals.......if so, make an anonymous call to code enforcement...

Many actually allow chickens now. It is quite the hipster things to do.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Get a pit bull and start feeding it raw chicken and let ot loose.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
If it smells really bad they are doing it wrong. Maybe you could help them learn better flock management techniques.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Fuck neighbors, and fuck your neighbor. Do you really give a shit about his feelings? Does your quality of life mean less to you than his feelings or his chickens?

This

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

And this is how we continue to let more government into our lives. That call should be the call of last resort. Don't empower and then go hide behind some Bureaucrat.

And for those that advocate HOA's? HOA's are voluntary government for those who just don't already have enough interference in their lives...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
If it smells really bad they are doing it wrong. Maybe you could help them learn better flock management techniques.

This right here. My neighbors had chickens for three years and I never smelled a thing.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The only thing you CAN'T raise in town here is Hogs.

The stink might be a violation by itself, might have to get the Health Dept involved.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post