SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *Urgent* - Update Malwarebytes ASAP - Bugged update causes massive memory overusage/crashes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Urgent* - Update Malwarebytes ASAP - Bugged update causes massive memory overusage/crashes Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
A broken automatic update released overnight/early this morning by Malwarebytes led to massive memory overusage and lots of system crashes.

A fix was just released.

If you use Malwarebytes, it's important that you update ASAP, to resolve the issue. You can do this by right-clicking on the Malwarebytes system tray icon and choosing "Check for Updates", or by merely rebooting your computer.

(You may have noticed that Malwarebytes' Real-Time Protection was suddenly disabled on your system. That will resume once the fixed update is applied.)

From Malwarebytes:

quote:
Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

quote:
How to resolve/verify that you have the fixed update package:

-Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
-To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second reboot may be needed.
-To verify you have this update, go to Settings -> About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I noticed an issue first thing this morning too.
thanks (and I am a Malwarebytes Partner too Eek).

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I did 4 different scans and it would not turn on Web Protection . This is a Huge mistake by them. I have never had trouble before. I knew something was wrong when it said I was out of Memory. I have over 16gb of ram, and it is not normal to run low. I finally went to their FB page and there was a message.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wasted an hour this morning trying to hunt down why my laptop crashed, and then trying to get Real-Time Protection to work correctly. Then I ran across a blurb on the Malwarebytes forum.

So I just disabled Malwarebytes until I saw the fix was released a few hours later.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have been messing around with a buggy system all day. I noticed real time protection was off, but I never assumed it was Malwarebytes causing the crashes.

Updated and fixed!

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My Malwarebytes has totally vanished from my computer. I used to have it. I just downloaded and installed it again, with the latest updates.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I got bit by the bug this morning while watching Justified. Everything locked up. Each time I rebooted, the memory usage climbed to 100% and everything locked up again, so I couldn't connect to the Internet. After nearly 2 hours of trying stuff, I figured out it was Malwarebytes and was able to uninstall it. Then I saw the message on their website. Mad

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Malwarebytes... bites all right! Loaded it on a desk top 2 weeks ago that ran fine other than a yahoo issue. It would not even go on line again with Malwarebytes. Two hours later and no Malwarebytes I was back to where I started! Mad

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have Malwarebytes on my Mac. I don’t use real time protection – just run a scan (~25 seconds) prior to each backup, so I know that my backups are clean. I’ve never seen a a report other than, “Congratulations, you are clean”.

I receive an email from Malwarebytes when an update is available to download, but haven’t received one recently, so I’m guessing that the bug affects only PCs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Rogue. Got it fixed on my office system...need to check my Media Server.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I battled it for an hour, glad to know it wasn't just me.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm why SigForum can't
have nice things
Picture of Thayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, just got mine settled back down.

Posts: 9817 | Location: Heart of the Ozarks  | Registered: June 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Ran into this problem this morning and discovered my MBAM was the culprit. I ran their diagnostic program and emailed it to their support. They got back in touch with me in short order explaining what happened and that a fix had been added to their updates. Ran the update and problem solved.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Turns out they'd released an update to fix the bug(s) in the update they'd pushed to fix the previous update.

From one of my security newsletters:

quote:

Malwarebytes Had a Busy Weekend Updating its Updates
(January 27 & 29, 2018)
Over the weekend, Malwarebytes pushed out two fixes for a recent update that was causing problems for users. Late last week, Malwarebytes pushed out an update to its Endpoint security products. Users reported that the update was consuming as much as 90 percent of their machines' RAM and CPU. Shortly after those reports emerged, Malwarebytes pushed out another update, but that one caused users' machines to crash on reboot. Malwarebytes released yet another update to fix that problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
And I spent many hours all weekend trying to revive my often crashing PC. Finally gave up and between frequent crashes, copied needed files that were not archived. Monday I took it to the PC doc. Luckily most files are on my Seagate or Goodrive or copied to a yahoo or gmail email folder. I better call the doc

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post