SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elk downs helicopter in rural Utah
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk downs helicopter in rural Utah Login/Join 
posted
Yes, way! The link has a photo I'm not smart enough to post.

https://www.deseretnews.com/ar...-wasatch-county.html

Elk fells helicopter in remote Wasatch County

FRUITLAND, Duchesne County — A pilot and passenger from Australia sustained only small cuts and bruises when an elk jumped and severed the tail rotor of their helicopter Monday evening near Currant Creek in Wasatch County.

The pair was attempting to net the animal, Wasatch County Search and Rescue said on Facebook.

Few details were immediately released, and it was not clear how the elk fared. First responders from Fruitland evaluated the two aboard the helicopter.

"Not something you see everyday when an Elk brings down a chopper," the rescue group wrote in the Facebook post.

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources was investigating.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Well, there's a headline that you don't see every day....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
score one for the Elk.

glad no one was seriously injured.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So no meat ?

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. I always liked the Hughes 500, whoops, McDonnell Douglas 500, I mean. It doesn't look too damaged though.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My question is, what the HELL were Australians doing netting elk in Utah? Was this on private land? By permit? So many questions...

Posts: 406 | Location: Transplanted from UT to MD | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OK, now I'm impressed.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoppes no9:
My question is, what the HELL were Australians doing netting elk in Utah? Was this on private land? By permit? So many questions...

This very brief coverage in the Idaho State Journal provides just a little more detail (see items I've bolded): LINK

quote:
Leaping elk crashes low-flying research helicopter
8 hrs ago

Authorities say a leaping elk brought down a research helicopter trying to capture the animal in the mountains of eastern Utah.

[Go to URL to view the photo] Photo courtesy of Wasatch County Sheriff's Office

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities say a leaping elk brought down a research helicopter trying to capture the animal in the mountains of eastern Utah.

Wasatch County authorities say the elk jumped into the chopper's tail rotor as it flew about 10 feet above ground, trying to capture the animal with a net.

The two people on board weren't seriously hurt, but wildlife officials say the elk died of its injuries.

The state-contracted Texas-based crew was trying to capture and sedate the elk so they could give it a tracking collar and research its movements about 90 miles east of Salt Lake City.

Mark Hadley with the state Division of Wildlife Resources says the state helicopters are frequently used to monitor remote wildlife and this is the first such accident in Utah.

Apparently, one or more members of the contracted research crew is an Australian (if the initial coverage/first report is correct).

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
So no meat ?

I guarantee someone there got a salvage tag.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
idiots.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
They should probably stay away from 'roos' too.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! You’ve really got to watch out for those Elk out here in Utah! A couple of days ago I had a patient who lost a leg in an Elk hunting accident, and now they’re taking down helicopters?!?!

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
That would be an entertaining Farmer's Insurance commercial!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It was a kamakazi tomato!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
idiots.

So, if I have this right: They were trying to NET a living elk that weighs several hundred pounds, so they can sedate it?!?!?

Last time I saw such antics was that they sedated the animal before doing much of anything else.

Ya know, dart it, wait for the sedative to kick in, put the radio collar on it, wake it up and let it go about its business.

Is there a plague of stupid in process? People seem to get dumber, and dumber, and dumber.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Quite the opposite of being dumb, it seems like netting is a very viable plan, and is done routinely all around the world. But like with anything in the news, you just don't usually hear about the 99.9+% of helicopter netting attempts that go right.

There are lots of photos and articles online involving netting elk and other animals, as well as some videos on YouTube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGp2okWpyJg

I know you're an elk hunter, but have you ever tried to dart an elk? Especially from a helicopter?

Neither have I. But I suspect it's not anywhere near as easy as sitting back at 200 yards with a .308. Wink

Tranquilizer darts are inherently short-range, and relatively slow and inaccurate (compared to bullets). Throw in the fact that if trying to dart an animal from a helicopter, the dart would have to contend with the chopper's massive blade wash/downdraft.

In addition, it appears that tranquilizers have to be tailored to the size/sex/species of the animal, and sedatives take a while to wear off. Whereas nets allow a wide range of animal sizes/sexes/species to be safely trapped with a one-size-fits-most implement. And they can be quickly released once tagged, without having to wait around for a sedative to wear off. No chemical side-effects either. Plus, the nets can be reused and reloaded into the net guns, so they can net and release multiple animals with the same net per outing, which I suspect makes it significantly cheaper than tranquilizers too.

Even if they do end up sedating the elk, it would be more easily accomplished once it's already netted and contained, and the sedation could be done on the ground.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Quite the opposite of being dumb, it seems like netting is a very viable plan, and is done routinely all around the world. But like with anything in the news, you just don't usually hear about the 99.9+% of helicopter netting attempts that go right.

There are lots of photos and articles online involving netting elk and other animals, as well as some videos on YouTube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGp2okWpyJg

I know you're an elk hunter, but have you ever tried to dart an elk? Especially from a helicopter?

Neither have I. But I suspect it's not anywhere near as easy as sitting back at 200 yards with a .308. Wink

Tranquilizer darts are inherently short-range, and relatively slow and inaccurate (compared to bullets). Throw in the fact that if trying to dart an animal from a helicopter, the dart would have to contend with the chopper's massive blade wash/downdraft.

In addition, it appears that tranquilizers have to be tailored to the size/sex/species of the animal, and sedatives take a while to wear off. Whereas nets allow a wide range of animal sizes/sexes/species to be safely trapped with a one-size-fits-most implement. And they can be quickly released once tagged, without having to wait around for a sedative to wear off. No chemical side-effects either. Plus, the nets can be reused and reloaded into the net guns, so they can net and release multiple animals with the same net per outing, which I suspect makes it significantly cheaper than tranquilizers too.

Even if they do end up sedating the elk, it would be more easily accomplished once it's already netted and contained, and the sedation could be done on the ground.

"Wasatch County authorities say the elk jumped into the chopper's tail rotor as it flew about 10 feet above ground, trying to capture the animal with a net."

Superelk? or did it just have wings. Elk are not jumpers and here in Idaho you have to shoot them so you can 'dart' them! LOL! Yeah the adults can clear a range fence but just barely! They tend to drag their hind legs across.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
"Wasatch County authorities say the elk jumped into the chopper's tail rotor as it flew about 10 feet above ground, trying to capture the animal with a net."

Superelk? or did it just have wings. Elk are not jumpers... Yeah the adults can clear a range fence but just barely!

According to National Geographic, male elk are on average ~5 feet tall at the shoulder, plus another ~4 feet of neck, head, and antlers above the shoulder.

Wouldn't be too tough for a 9 foot tall elk to touch something 10 feet off the ground. Wink

If they can clear a fence (even barely), they can definitely jump more than 1 foot!

Besides, it wouldn't even necessarily involve much of a jump, depending on the other factors, such as if it was a larger than average bull, it reared on its hind legs, there was a rise in elevation (large rock, small hill, etc.), and/or the tail rotor dipped during the helicopter's maneuvering.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Just think what might have happened if it was a Knights of Pythias.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
A ten foot tall elk: http://www.newser.com/story/25...this-helicopter.html

Sounds like human stupidity to me.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post