SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Workshop question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workshop question Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Steel structure is much better for fire insurance, no termites, etc.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
Good plan, I'll add the water to the list. it might require and additional well.

I don't know the distances involved (house to well, shop to well, etc), but we are on a well share with 3 properties on it. The run to our house is about 500 feet, and it has worked just fine for 16 years. You may be able to tap into your existing well.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I just ran mine from my main line under the house coming from my well. Just putting in a "T" was all it took.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
It will be a long run and will have to cross a creek for water. May have to look at a location closer to the house.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be a long run and will have to cross a creek for water. May have to look at a location closer to the house.

Ours crosses a wash, but of course here in AZ the washes are dry 95% of the year so it was easy to excavate, and deep enough to get below what will be any running water. Whenever a small wash like ours runs, it either leaves the base level the same as the running deposits new sand. Some bigger washes gain sand and have to be ocassionally excavated.

Doesn't do you much good. Is there any practical way to go over the stream? Wells are deep and expensive to drill here, something like $10,000++ just to get the casing and head in place.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I imagine you don’t have to worry about freezing get either. The well we have for the house is about 48 feet deep and more like an old style hand dug well.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and , are there advantages of steel or aluminum?

You’d have to be a Saudi Prince to afford an aluminum building that size.

out here in the mid west
the pole building companies offer an aluminum sided skin or a steel sheet metal skin for the exterior.

I should have been more precise

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine you don’t have to worry about freezing get either. The well we have for the house is about 48 feet deep and more like an old style hand dug well.

Only the pipes that come up out of the ground, like for a hose bib or irrigation back flow valve. Our well is 600 ft deep, which is fairly common around here.

Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Last year I built a 40x60 shop with 16' ceilings. I have a 12'x14' door on each end. Monolithic 6" slab with #5 rebar. 200A service pulled from the 600A panel at the house. Stick built, wood truss. Metal roof and siding except the front which is stone and LP Smartsiding. 5/8" Type X drywall 4'to the ceiling. Corrugated Galvalume from the floor up 4'. Walls insulated with 5-1/2" of sprayfoam. One 14'ø BigAss fan, propane heat. I made a 9x12 office with electric heat that I keep warm all winter; I keep the shop at 45* unless I'm working in there. A frost free outside the office, but it's a dry building. It does have floor drains in the slab to make it easy to wash it down.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Previous poster is that a JD 110? Nice machine!

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Previous poster is that a JD 110? Nice machine!

Good eye; yes a 110. Very handy for building the house and shop.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
NICE shop, aileron! What are those multi-colored tubes next to your welding station?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Aileron, that is pretty close to what I’m looking to build.

I love the corrugated metal on the lower walls.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
NICE shop, aileron! What are those multi-colored tubes next to your welding station?

Thank you! TIG filler rod storage; different colors for different alloys.