SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Workshop question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workshop question Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted
I'm looking at having a 40 X 60 or so building put up.

Any suggested brands, materials etc...?

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A metal building on a concrete pad would be nice. Insulation would be nice, too. Or install a BigAss fan with a large sliding bay door. Fluorescent or LED light fixtures, extra electrical outlets, suspended shelving units, even a hydraulic vehicle lift. Some air compressor line or extension cord bouncers would be handy. It could be fun.

By "fun", I mean pricey.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and , are there advantages of steel or aluminum?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I've decided on a size, it will have concrete floors and probably a 200 Amp electrical service.
It will also have 2 14 X 12 doors, one on each end for a drive thru capability.

What I have not decided on is a steel building, pole barn type construction or stick built. The advantage of steel is no center supports which I like.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Running water, hand washing/eye washing station, bathroom?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Running water, hand washing/eye washing station, bathroom?

Absolutely have it plumbed with hot and cold water. Ideally have a shitter, but at least have a big sink/laundry tub to wash up. I also hooked up an old washer/dryer that I had for washing shop rags and other grungy stuff, and I ran a hot/cold faucet outside. I highly recommend the latter. It's very handy for washing stuff in warm water vs. cold, and I also hooked up a shower head to it with a hose. It's kind of nice taking an outdoor shower now and then. Of course, if you have neighbors with a view that might not be appropriate. One more benefit to living in the boonies.

No complaints about my pole barn style shop. Get a builder who knows what they're doing and it'll be up and they'll be out of there in a week. Pour the floor, give it another week or so, and you'll be good to go.

Yes, put in twice as many outlets as you think you'll need.

Definitely put in a floor drain. If you decide against the shitter, your sink and whatever else you hook up can drain into the floor drain as it's all grey water, saving you a septic hook up.

Think about exterior lighting now.

Add 12' lean-tos to the sides. The extra space under a roof is awfully nice.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Put in 20 amp outlets with four receptacles in each. Won't cost much more to do when you are building. If 3 phase service is available and reasonable do that too.
Also make any walk in doors 36" wide. They are much easier to carry things through and new construction cost in minimal.
I built my bathrooms to handicap spec.'s because when I eventually sell or rent that could be important.
Use LED shop lights. They don't cost much more now, use much less electricity and last longer. The light isn't 360 degrees requiring a reflector, it all shines down.
Seal or paint the floor before any oil/grease gets on it.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Good ideas gentlemen.

When we built the house, we did 36 inch doors throughout and the handicap specs on the bathrooms. Not getting any younger.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

What I have not decided on is a steel building, pole barn type construction or stick built. The advantage of steel is no center supports which I like.

I just had a 34'x70' shop built. We went stick framed and it required no center supports. I just had to change to 2x8 studs for the walls because the walls are 18' 6".

I will add that you should go with a standing seam metal roof. Never worry about leaks at the attachment points that way.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Walk right past the fluorescent lights at a brisk pace and proceed directly to the LED.

Brighter, whiter light and no flicker, immune to cold.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have more than you think you'll need stubbed in whether you actually ever use it or not in the slab.

Get it insulated when it is built, much easier to do during construction then add it later.

Do be sure to go ahead and put in a 220 for welder, big air compressor etc.

Good roll up doors are expensive, bite the bullet and make sure you don't skimp on them.

Depending how far from your home it is whether it is practical or not but I'd suggest a buried conduit run between the shop and the house with several pull strings. You can then run data, intercom, phone, security system etc wires from one building to the next easily.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely have it plumbed with hot and cold water. Ideally have a shitter, but at least have a big sink/laundry tub to wash up. I also hooked up an old washer/dryer that I had for washing shop rags and other grungy stuff, and I ran a hot/cold faucet outside. I highly recommend the latter. It's very handy for washing stuff in warm water vs. cold, and I also hooked up a shower head to it with a hose. It's kind of nice taking an outdoor shower now and then. Of course, if you have neighbors with a view that might not be appropriate. One more benefit to living in the boonies.

Good plan, I'll add the water to the list. it might require and additional well.

I'm out in the boonies as well. The house sits back in the woods, as will this building, so outdoor shower might have to get factored in to the plan. My wife will love me having another excuse to run around outdoors nekkid Eek

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

posted Hide Post
Unless you have a specific need for it , I'm going to vote no on the 3 phase service . No advantage and it will cost more to get it to the shop and your monthly service charge will be higher . 200 amp single phase will handle the average workshop just fine .
If you have 3 phase power tools then obviously that's a different matter .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:

Good plan, I'll add the water to the list. it might require and additional well.

I'm out in the boonies as well. The house sits back in the woods, as will this building, so outdoor shower might have to get factored in to the plan. My wife will love me having another excuse to run around outdoors nekkid Eek

Chemical spill. Dog wash. All sorts of uses.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you pick your trusses, pick the ones with a load rating for an attic room. Not much more, and gives you the opportunity for storage or room addition later. Plan for a drop down staircase (not just attic ladder). Think full staircase, with a hinge, electric hoist if you want.

Insulate well, and you can do a basic through the wall mini-split hvac since it's one big room. Will just need a fan to circulate.

Like already mentioned, floor drain.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and , are there advantages of steel or aluminum?

You’d have to be a Saudi Prince to afford an aluminum building that size.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a floor drain. I’ll have to figure out if I can do it with a dry well type of arrangement. I don’t think I want to get the stuff from a garage floor drain in the septic system.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

posted Hide Post
How about when you pour the slab, you make yourself a nice grease pit to get under things, if you are so inclined.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
How about when you pour the slab, you make yourself a nice grease pit to get under things, if you are so inclined.

Looking at a lift instead. I think it might be more versatile.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

posted Hide Post
Spend some time on garagejournal.com
There is a section with pics from builds and you will get lots of good ideas.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post