SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coast Guard Busting a Drug Submarine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coast Guard Busting a Drug Submarine Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Pretty cool.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
VERY cool. Wonder if the officer had any rodeo experience.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
WTF is he yelling, and why is he yelling at all doubt they could hear anything he's saying.

wonder why they didn't dive...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

They can't submerge completely under the surface. They need to snokle to keep their engines going.

The US Navy uses the surface search radar on ASW USW Helos to hunt them.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTF is he yelling

Alto su barco.

Stop your boat/ship.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
WTF is he yelling, and why is he yelling at all doubt they could hear anything he's saying.

“Alto su barco. Alto su barco ahora.”
Stop your boat. Stop your boat now.”

Seems some fifty cal rounds bouncing off the conning tower might be more easily heard...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That soldier doesn’t look prepared for a dunk in the water, wearing boots and all that gear. Am I missing something?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
That is crazy!!

Amazing how he just jumped on that sub & started beating on the top!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
That soldier doesn’t look prepared for a dunk in the water, wearing boots and all that gear. Am I missing something?

Agreed, from what I can see.

If he had slipped, he'd be in a very, very position waiting for the recuse boat/raft.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:

They can't submerge completely under the surface. They need to snokle to keep their engines going.

The US Navy uses the surface search radar on ASW USW Helos to hunt them.

so basically its a ocean going low rider....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

The Navy has armor carriers with built-in self-inflating flotation systems, and lots of armor carriers are available that are releasable (yank a loop on the chest and the shoulder and side straps all come apart)... Presumably the Coast Guard would use something similar on the water.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that if he's a Coastie, he's done this before and is quite prepared to do the task - the appearance of gear notwithstanding Smile

thats his job

I saw a program on these subs about 2 years ago - hunting for them in South America - most are just barely watertight compartments with a diesel engine - everything in one giant room - no engine room or watertight doors...so yelling and banging to be heard over the noise makes sense

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A few dozen 7.62x51 API-T or 12.7x99mm HEAPI-T through the hatch, hull, and snorkel would make more sense.

ETA: Better still, use one of the EFPs the Iranians used against us in Iraq.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The problem is just because it looks like a modern day drug smuggling vessel does not mean it is, until you find the drugs on board.. So, shooting holes through a boat just because you assume it is carrying drugs is at least in my mind not a good idea. Ask Jimmy Buffet about this.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Guessing maybe as a legal CYA so if/when they shoot the thing full of holes and Pedro drowns they can show they attempted to stop him?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very easy way of stopping a small boat or even a ship is to tow a floating polypro line accross their box. It will wrap in the prop, the heat from friction with cause the rope to melt together and seize the propeller.

Next the occupants will lift the hatch and the jig is up. I wonder why they do not try these simple methods.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woulda been fun to see them toss a CS grenade in there

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a program on these subs about 2 years ago - hunting for them in South America - most are just barely watertight compartments with a diesel engine - everything in one giant room - no engine room or watertight doors...so yelling and banging to be heard over the noise makes sense

So, Jonsey's going to hear more than "Singing" if Dallas pings these guys?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought he was yelling alto su puerco, stop pigs! Big Grin

Ballsy officers jumping on that death trap.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
A very easy way of stopping a small boat or even a ship is to tow a floating polypro line accross their box. It will wrap in the prop, the heat from friction with cause the rope to melt together and seize the propeller.

Next the occupants will lift the hatch and the jig is up. I wonder why they do not try these simple methods.

I think one of things you have to factor into this kind of operation is the goal of the effort.

In a real war, material gets destroyed/sunk/demo'd all the time. Prosecution is completed on the battlefield, not in the courtroom.

But in an law enforcement setting, preservation of evidence is very important when it comes to prosecution, as is meeting the probable cause standard of evidence.

That means:

1) you can't just torpedo a contact.

2) Let's say the submarine is loaded with a 1/2 ton of cocaine. Do you want to try transferring all ~450 1 kilo bricks to a RIB by hand in choppy open water? Or maybe just leave the drug-running craft intact and either tow it or drive it to port?

The kind of evidence collected in this operation isn't going to just be used against the poor schmuck they caught driving the boat. These busts are part of the book that will get thrown at any jefe from the same organization.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post