SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coast Guard Busting a Drug Submarine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coast Guard Busting a Drug Submarine Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Right On, USCG!

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Maybe try an Axel Foley:

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those guys win the BAMF award of the day

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Just drop a grenade down the hatch..........problem solved. Wink

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I think he’s lucky the dude in the sub wasn’t at the ready with a gun...of course the sub smugglers woulda been killed if they fired some shots, but our boy coulda been shot.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is probably only 1 of 40 submarines that made it to it's destination. The USCG cannot just open fire on the Sub or shoot the people inside without cause. Plus, they need evidence. The chance of someone in the submarine getting a shot off, is possible, but nearly impossible to accurately aim at the person opening the hatch since they're blinded by the daylight when the hatch opens. The sub people have no way of escaping the situation, they do around 7-9 mph and cannot dive or anything like that, and are an extremely noisy, hot, tin can that has a diesel engine in most likely the same compartment as the people, and drugs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The mules don't get paid to shoot people. Plus, the preferred method is to open a seacock, and send the boat and load to the bottom. Then there is no evidence of smuggling, and the mules just get let go.

They run far enough off shore to ensure that if the load goes down, it can't be salvaged by the US or anyone else who would want to prosecute.

It's a numbers game. Enough get through to make the losses worthwhile, and no one gets killed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... that is one great clip, the courage the Coasties exhibit in protecting the shores.

"Bigfoot" These barco submarino are real enough.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The Coasties did a great job. This was a Law Enforcement operation, not a military one. The had no PC to shoot, and they needed to preserve the evidence to prosecute.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Shows the folly of making assumptions. The officer was yelling in Spanish, wouldn't he have looked quite the fool if the boaters had turned out to be Eskimos?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Maybe try an Axel Foley:

Glad I'm not the only one that thought of that.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How was work today honey. You know just another day at the office.

Why are your boots wet. Oh I stepping in a puddle.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
The problem is just because it looks like a modern day drug smuggling vessel does not mean it is, until you find the drugs on board.. So, shooting holes through a boat just because you assume it is carrying drugs is at least in my mind not a good idea. Ask Jimmy Buffet about this.

I'm guessing here, so I might just be wrong, that here boat isn't your average family boating experience-type vessel, right? Me, I'd assume that it IS carrying drugs and/or explosives, and blow the the **** out of it from a safe distance.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
The problem is just because it looks like a modern day drug smuggling vessel does not mean it is, until you find the drugs on board.. So, shooting holes through a boat just because you assume it is carrying drugs is at least in my mind not a good idea. Ask Jimmy Buffet about this.

I'm guessing here, so I might just be wrong, that here boat isn't your average family boating experience-type vessel, right? Me, I'd assume that it IS carrying drugs and/or explosives, and blow the the **** out of it from a safe distance.

And how exactly do you justify the excessive use of force when above said submarine has no armaments on it and is a metal can with the occupants underneath a steal hatch? And why? When you can just get on top of the thing and have them stop or open the hatch and deal with it the way it was dealt with? Not to mention it's in international waters and not posing an immediate threat to anyone.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

And how exactly do you justify the excessive use of force when above said submarine has no armaments on it and is a metal can with the occupants underneath a steal hatch? And why? When you can just get on top of the thing and have them stop or open the hatch and deal with it the way it was dealt with? Not to mention it's in international waters and not posing an immediate threat to anyone.

What submarine?

Anyone here see a submarine?

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Badass dude(s) !

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That rig is moving through the water pretty darn well. Would make an awesome recreational vehicle. I would love to know more. Love me some diesel! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the main problem is recovering some of the drugs before the occupants of the boat or submarine sink the vessel. They know that the coasties are bound to save any swimmers, so the drug mules expect a light or no sentence if they can sink the ship and it's cargo.

If a net or strap could be thrown around the sub, and inflation balloons activate, that would work.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's not illegal to pilot a semi-submersible in international waters.

Ferrying drugs, while illegal, is a criminal act, not an act of war.

Attacking an unarmed vessel of unknown nationality with unverified cargo and unknown passengers traveling in international waters could very easily be considered an act of war.

Death sentences aren't executed based on assumptions.

The response has to be proportionate to the act. Killing someone because you suspect them to be guilty of drug smuggling isn't going to hold up in an American court, which applies since the assets used in this operation are American.

The equation might change if the semi-submersibles shot back or carried suicide explosives, but that's not the case here.

The reason why these craft aren't shot up with .50 cal is the same reason why a van driving north on I-5 between San Diego and Seattle, full of fentanyl isn't shot up with .50 cal.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post