SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did it become common place to drape the gas hose/nozzle across the car to fill up???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did it become common place to drape the gas hose/nozzle across the car to fill up??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Used to be you would see this on occasion as someone forgot which side their gas door is on.

For the last couple months it never fails there are multiple people that have pulled to the wrong side of the pump and then have the hose draped over the car and the nozzle in upside down.

I don’t get it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
At Costco...the lines are long because their gas prices are better, so I go in whatever one is shorter. Seems like fewer cars have the filler on the passenger side so thats where I go frequently.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Used to be you would see this on occasion as someone forgot which side their gas door is on.

For the last couple months it never fails there are multiple people that have pulled to the wrong side of the pump and then have the hose draped over the car and the nozzle in upside down.

I don’t get it.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what side of my car the gas goes in. While my preference is to pull up to the “right” side, I am not going to sit and wait in line if a pump on the “wrong” side is open.

99.9% of the time I get gas at Costco and they specifically have long hoses that easily reach to the “wrong” side if needed. However on those instances when I fuel like this the hose is not draped over the car, I hold it up and off the car and the hose length is sufficient that the nozzle doesn’t need to be upside down.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Same with Jimbo. That is the only time I'll purposefully be on the wrong side of the car.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Yup. BJ's gas here is always tied up with people trying to fill on the driver's side, with one way flow through the station. I can always find a spot pulling up to the passenger side, and with a truck, the hose never touches any part of the body or bed of the truck, so I don't get any scuffing, buy cheap gas, and don't wait in line.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I use Costco and the line can be long.
The shortest line, saves you time.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm a Costco member too. I go where the line is shorter. Thankfully they have long hoses that easily reach to the other side.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
When did it become common place to drape the gas hose/nozzle across the car to fill up???

Never owned a 1973-87 GM C/K pickup truck?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
I never did until I saw this sign.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, many places now have hoses that will reach both sides. Our local Smith's does. I've done it when it's convenient. Most people don't seem to notice the signs though as I constantly see people waiting in line by habit I guess to pull up with their tank door facing the pump while I gratefully pull ahead of them to the empty pump.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Mass dyslexia caused by the Earth passing through a spacial inversion field.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It started when gas stations started getting long hoses to reach across. It works well especially when the lines to the pump are just one direction.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Costco member here also. Though, I actually go ahead and wait to use the pump on the correct side. I’m not interested in scratching up my paint matched camper shell dragging the hose over the top. I do get annoyed waiting behind those who could easily fuel up their Mini Cooper or Prius in the other lane that isn’t three cars deep using the long each hose, but choose not to.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's the newest index by which to measure the health of a locale.

A bit like the Waffle House Index in a state of emergency.

Not too dissimilar from the Broken Windows theory.

It's an indicator, to be sure, and it's not pretty.

I've seen "the type".

You don't want them loitering around the local Piggly Wiggly.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
"When did it become common...?" When IQ's continued to drop to a point beneath room temp. The general population are for the most part, completely incompetent, and need a keeper.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Well, you would think that with their automated parallel park car, they could back right into that SOB with no problem and stick the hose in it. But, they are hosers!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m old enough to remember when cars had the fill nozzle hidden behind a flip down plate on most cars. It never mattered what pump you pulled into.

Most would disagree but I prefer the filler being on the passenger side because you can get nice and close to the pump without having to squeeze out of your door.

Just as an aside every car I have ever owned has a locator on the fuel gauge letting you know what side your fill side is.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I know exactly what side of my car the gas goes in. While my preference is to pull up to the “right” side, I am not going to sit and wait in line if a pump on the “wrong” side is open.

99.9% of the time I get gas at Costco and they specifically have long hoses that easily reach to the “wrong” side if needed. However on those instances when I fuel like this the hose is not draped over the car, I hold it up and off the car and the hose length is sufficient that the nozzle doesn’t need to be upside down.

Same here. I get fuel at Costco first and foremost because it’s tier 1 gasoline. The fact that it’s less expensive than anywhere around here means for the truck I’m not going anywhere else unless I leave the metro. Left hand side pumps are always full with a line. Right hand side pumps are always free when I go, and I go at the deadest time of the week. Like 911, I hold the hose above my truck bed and tonneau. I don’t even let the rubber touch my vehicle (that’s what she said!). And I’m quick as fuck too. I’m always topping off instead of a full fill up so I’m in and out of that line and pump faster than a cat can lick his ass.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Volvo, passengers side. No waiting in line. Joy
Chevy Colorado, drivers side. Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Learn something new everyday. Not heard about these long hoses. I guess they must be somewhere close and folks use that mentality.
The 3 gas stations I fill up with do not have the longer hoses.
With these longer hoses is one able to insert the nozzle in the proper orientation??
I see these folks especially with trucks and the nozzle is of course upside down in the filler neck which would lead me to believe the nozzle is barely inserted and could easily cause issue with the automatic shut off.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post