SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did it become common place to drape the gas hose/nozzle across the car to fill up???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did it become common place to drape the gas hose/nozzle across the car to fill up??? Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used a Costco in NJ that featured gas pumps. As usual the lines were always long. For the few cents difference I wasn't about to wait on line. Down side was that they only took the Costco CC which back then was American Express.

Dropped them as the closest was a 60 minute ride here in NH but they are planning one on the seacoast area. But these days I really need nothing in bulk.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't gas up where there is a line. Always use a pump on the driver's side.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Like others have said I get gas almost exclusively at Costco and the "wrong" side always has a shorter waiting time.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would anybody guess which side filler door is on? Manufacturers have been putting a little arrow on gas gauge for at least the last 10 years, maybe more. No guessing.

I am a Costco member. I wouldn’t willingly wait in a line to save 30 cents a gallon. You just saved 5 bucks. There are a whole lot of more effective ways of saving money. As for top tier gas, I have no answer. I’ve been putting gas in my various cars for 4 decades without actually giving much of a shit. Other than my Jeep, I’ve never had a car that crapped out on me while using this hodgepodge of gasoline options that I have poured into my cars. Never. Overthought is my opinion on this. I don’t know where Sheetz gets their gas not do I care nor does anecdotal evidence show any issues.

I see a gas line I keep driving. Unless it’s the mid 1970’s.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay a little more per gallon than what Costo charges - but I haven't waited 5 seconds for an available gasoline pump since I sat in line with my dad in the 70's.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My wife isn't any more excited to drape a hose onto her car than I am. Both our cars are passenger side fuelers and we just go to the correct side. We like the tier one gas. Not certain that fuel gets counted like merchandise purchases towards the year end rebate though.

We are no more than 5 miles from either of 2 Costco locations so if they are busy we just come back another time.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

One of Car Talk's weekly puzzlers was how can you tell which side the gas tank filler door is by only looking at the rear of the vehicle. Answer, it is the side opposite the exhaust pipe.

Dual exhaust ?

Yeah I thought about that, even when it was posted way back then, and you're just out of luck in that case. But the era in which that show ran and the puzzler was posted, I think most dual exhausts were not factory items. You see quite a few more factory duals nowadays.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
My guess is that most vehicles have the fuel door on the driver's side.

And, unlike regular gas stations, Sam's Club, BJ's, and probably Costco, are all one-way. I've noticed that the line for passenger side fueling is often shorter or no line at all.

When sitting in line I keep trying to estimate if the hose will reach. Haven't tried yet.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Costco membership and have never filled up there. The pumps are in weird location and have to drive well past the store and then drive back to get out. So I don’t bother.

As for where I am seeing folks do this are not 1 way entry locations.
But I guess a lot of folks must use the Costco idea and just do it everywhere.

But have just noticed such the tactic maybe for the last couple months.

My main fill up location is just outside a very interesting trailer park. I’ll be honest I fill up there mainly because it is always a new adventure as to what you see roll in and out of there.
Plus never had to wait for a pump and they have top tier fuel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame kids getting lazy! First boomers thought opening both doors and feeding it through was too much work, those Gen X punks won't even bother to roll down the power windows and put it through the vehicle.. And now we have woke liberal millennials that just drape it over the vehicle. Kids these days are just lazy! What's next, just plugging them in to electric and not even using gas?!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
I open tank, use one hand for nozzle, and one hand to hold hose so it doesn't rub vehicle...

Exactly how I do it.

As do I. When I'm finish filling, I use both hands to loosely gather the hose and nozzle into one hand and then screw on the gas cap with the other, keeping the hose away from the vehicle.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My '68 Firebird had the fill pipe behind the license plate. Didn't matter which side of the pump you chose. Should have seen me try to fill up the first time. I had no idea where the thing was. I pulled into the station and walked around my new-to-me car scratching my head. Someone else had to show me. LOL

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
My '68 Firebird had the fill pipe behind the license plate. Didn't matter which side of the pump you chose. Should have seen me try to fill up the first time. I had no idea where the thing was. I pulled into the station and walked around my new-to-me car scratching my head. Someone else had to show me. LOL

Same location on my ‘69 GTO

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
And my '66 Mustangs.

flashguy

Same location on my ‘69 GTO

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
'69 AMX, same thing, behind the license plate. First time I tried unscrewing the AMX symbol on the real sail pillar!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post