SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Braunschweiger I had no idea.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braunschweiger I had no idea. Login/Join 
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Very tasty stuff. Lots of porcine liver and from the snooter to the tooter all the kibbles & bits you can muster & mash. My dad loved it with a side of duck blood soup.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Liverwurst, red onion, brown mustard on rye. Maybe with Swiss cheese if you like. MMMMMMmmmm.

YES - THIS!!!

It's how my father and grandfather taught me to eat it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back around 1961, give or take a year or two, we used to stop at McSorley's on Friday evening, after work.

Mugs of ale, two for thirty-five cents, and a large platter of liverwurst, onion slices, and rye bread was a buck and a half.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a fan of the stuff all my life, as a cold cut on crackers, no condiments.
Currently only my younger son has followed me in liking braunschweiger. In college my roommates couldn't stand it, but would scarf up all the other Oscar Mayer mystery meat cold cuts. My Dad's comment to that with braunschweiger you had a finite list of ingredients compared to some other cold cuts/processed meats.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Back around 1961, give or take a year or two, we used to stop at McSorley's on Friday evening, after work.

Mugs of ale, two for thirty-five cents, and a large platter of liverwurst, onion slices, and rye bread was a buck and a half.

That place is great....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

That place is great....
It has changed. Back then, it was men only.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
deli braunschweiger, real butter, and a good rye bread, mmmmmm good.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Go easy on organ meats and drink plenty of water. Gout sucks.

According to my doc it's more important to balance your electrolytes, particularly potassium through citrate for gout prevention. If that's in check, it's difficult to get gout unless you are predisposed to it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Good stuff.

I only have it a couple of times each year, but damn it is good. Tomato, lettuce and some mustard, on a good toasted bread!!!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess you don't have any German relatives.

I never tried it fried. My favorite way is a sandwich on rye, with a spicy horseradish type mustard and a slice of Vidalia onion.

V-tail, as usual, knows whats up. Most of my forebears had German backgrounds, and this was common chow for us.

Liverwurst on rye bread, onion, with a deli mustard. Add some strong cheese (cheddar, a robust swiss . . .) if you like. One of my favorite sandwiches.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
and a slice of Vidalia onion

even on a thick PB this hits the spot!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yuck!!! Growing up on the farm we had that crap. Couldn’t stand it. Still can’t. Liver, yes. Beef and chicken hearts, yes. Gizzards, yes. Once in a while, pork brains, yes. Liverwurst, ahhh hell no.

For you guys that like it, enjoy. I can’t.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I like it on rye bread and stuck under the broiler.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Where’s Pipe Smoker? <snip>

Here I am!

My favorite is Thumann’s braunschweiger. I have it on baked-in-Germany pumpernickel with mustard, raw onion, and black pepper.

BTW – Thumann’s also offers several kinds of mustard. My favorite is their “Düsseldorf” variety.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Dark Rye Bread and Horseradish mustard. I've never tried it fried.

Might give that a try.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Go easy on organ meats and drink plenty of water. Gout sucks.

According to my doc it's more important to balance your electrolytes, particularly potassium through citrate for gout prevention. If that's in check, it's difficult to get gout unless you are predisposed to it.

And of course "predisposed" means you suffer from raised uric acid even when you eat a reasonable balanced diet. Many people suffer from this condition. Foods high in purines exasperate this condition. Braunschweigher fits into the list of high purine foods. I like braunschweigher, had it growing up and ate it until my first gout attack and haven't touched it since.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Love the stuff!

Was lucky enough to be raised close to a genuine family run German meat market that made its own outstanding sausages (Steigerwalt's in Syracuse).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone on a Cardiac Diet I was thinking YIKES. So, I looked it up expecting that the saturated fat levels would be off the charts. Turns out that it's relatively low in Saturated Fat, low in Sodium, and probably a Heart Healthy choice. Thanks for posting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5645 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
So, I looked it up expecting that the saturated fat levels would be off the charts.

Saturated fats do not raise the risk of heart disease.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Love the stuff!

Was lucky enough to be raised close to a genuine family run German meat market that made its own outstanding sausages (Steigerwalt's in Syracuse).

I miss Danzer's.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post