SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Braunschweiger I had no idea.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braunschweiger I had no idea. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
This stuff is fantastic. I’ve never had it before. Why didn’t you Yankees tell me about it sooner?

I have been doing healthy Keto for 2.5 months and have lost 26 LBS. I am trying to find the most nutrient dense foods and organ meats are at the top of the list. I was a bit hesitant but I lightly fried it and it was fantastic. Kinda like balony made with bacon.

I can see it will become a staple food for me. I have completely cut out processed foods but I will make an exception for this delicacy because of the dense nutrition. I’ll be searching the health food store for an organic version.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
liver is yum, but you probably shouldn't make it a staple food. I'm told gout is not fun.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

This stuff is fantastic. I’ve never had it before. Why didn’t you Yankees tell me about it sooner?
The baloney is bad, but the liver is wurst.

I guess you don't have any German relatives.

I never tried it fried. My favorite way is a sandwich on rye, with a spicy horseradish type mustard and a slice of Vidalia onion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technically, braunschweiger is a type of smoked German sausage. Whereas liverwurst is what you're eating, basically whipped liver with a boat load of spices and herbs that you can spread. The French version is called pate, kissing cousin of foie gras and is VeRY rich...and super tasty. Vietnamese bahn mi sandwiches, through French colonialism, use pate as a spread to kick-up the flavor with the other cold cuts. Never heard of it being fried or, heated....

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool carnivore, liverwurst should be on regular rotation, good butcher shops will make their own and put their variation on it. Keep in mind it's rich as offal cuts have higher cholesterol than other parts so, don't go overboard. Serve on a nice rye bread with mustard, pickles and onions, delicious.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Liverwurst, red onion, brown mustard on rye. Maybe with Swiss cheese if you like. MMMMMMmmmm.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I lightly fried it

You're doing it wrong! Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I like it just plain, on white, slathered with Miracle Whip.

Been eating it that way since I was a kid.

I might try the onion, dijon, rye thing though. Sounds good.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The baloney is bad, but the liver is wurst.

I guess you don't have any German relatives.

I never tried it fried. My favorite way is a sandwich on rye, with a spicy horseradish type mustard and a slice of Vidalia onion.

You nailed it. I buy Arbie's Horsey Sauce and that is perfect on Braunschweiger or Liverwurst sandwiches. I haven't had it for awhile so I think I'll get a tube next time I go to the store.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like it just plain, on white, slathered with Miracle Whip.

... with a little lettuce and a sliced home-grown tomato.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I bet it’s good on light bread with a bunch of mayo but I’m on keto and it’s working. I do take an off day occasionally and will probably try it.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wife buys the liver wurst fairly often, then serves it to me on s brotchen, split in half!

Altho, have not had it recently as I am on some kind of meat free/vegan diet she and our daughter came up with. Supposed to help with diabetes as well as muscle/joint pain.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet it’s good on light bread with a bunch of mayo but I’m on keto and it’s working. I do take an off day occasionally and will probably try it.
Mayo is OK (Duke’s, of course) but a deli mustard made with horseradish is really good. A thick slice of sweet onion, on rye or pumpernickel bread.

Try it. If you don’t agree, I’ll refund your money.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oh I love this. Maybe only get to eat it once a year. It like other orgon meats is too rich in iron and might not be good to eat it constantly. Iron is bad for men in high doses. It is darn good however.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

My wife buys the liver wurst fairly often, then serves it to me on s brotchen, split in half!

Altho, have not had it recently as I am on some kind of meat free/vegan diet she and our daughter came up with. Supposed to help with diabetes as well as muscle/joint pain.

The newer studies have shown that plant based diets without the proper animal fats are actually inflammatory.

TCB all the time...

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My father loved Braunschweiger with mayo, yellow mustard, and onions on white bread. But then he drank, a lot.

I was expected to eat that shit during family excursions involving picnicking.

Now that I understand the function of the liver, I'd consider death by starvation before I ate it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
If you want to splurge on some of the best sausage there is, this be da place.

Usinger's™ Famous Sausage

1030 N Old World 3rd St, Milwaukee, WI 53203
(414) 276-9105

https://g.co/kgs/RxkfW2

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
My father loved Braunschweiger with mayo, yellow mustard, and onions on white bread. But then he drank, a lot.

I was expected to eat that shit during family excursions involving picnicking.

Now that I understand the function of the liver, I'd consider death by starvation before I ate it.

Keep in mind that the livers used are almost exclusively from bovines. Think about what they eat and that might change your mind a little.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished a a hard salami and braunweiger sandwich with Dijon

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Go easy on organ meats and drink plenty of water. Gout sucks.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Where’s Pipe Smoker?

It’s true, though. I love leberwurst including Braunschweiger, but organ meats are not good for regular consumption.
The liver is the toxics disposal unit of the body.

Speaking of Leberwurst, I heard a story years ago when I was taking a refresher course in German at the Goethe Institut. Leberwurst comes in different grades and made with different meats. Kalbsleberwurst (calves’ liver sausage) is high-grade, and Muslims eat it because it says right there on the package “calves’ liver”.
Unfortunately for our pious Muslims living in Germany, there is not enough calves’ liver to go around, so they throw pork into “calves liver sausage” as well, but apparently not listed on the ingredients.
This was the topic of a discussion in German in the class, told with some amusement. However one Muslim student turned a little green, and it turned out he was unaware he had been eating pork and enjoying it.
So much for “German purity laws” which apparently only pertain to beer.
Mahlzeit!

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post