SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I sell cars. Ask me anything.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I sell cars. Ask me anything. Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
New or used pre-owned?

Both. New Chevy and pre-owned everything.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I use to sell cars too. Around here, if you don't know a second language, you pretty much end up splitting half of your commissions with someone who does.

That happens on occasion.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
How much are you allowed to negotiate on your own without managers and financial folks getting involved?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
How much does the invoice price differ from the true cost?

There are probably 3 people in the dealership that know the answer to that question, and I ain't one of them. I'm also convinced that no online resource has that exact information either. There are so many variables to consider and its also not a static number.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
How much are you allowed to negotiate on your own without managers and financial folks getting involved?

Very little. Our store is a high volume store and sells new chevy for generally the lowest price in the country. I make my money per car deal, not off of gross profit. The dealership treats me very well so try to hold gross profit but at the end of the day, my goal is just to sell. If I sold you a $20k car for $100k or $15k, I get paid the same. Most dealerships are not like this.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most dealerships are not like this.

Can't say I agree. Carmax is like that. My next door neighbor worked at a Ford dealer that has 3 locations and they had the same deal.

Lastly I bought a new Dodge Durango for my wife several years ago and it was the same thing there...

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you trow in dat Truecoat fer free, I'm ready ta deal, you betcha!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:
Most dealerships are not like this.

Can't say I agree. Carmax is like that. My next door neighbor worked at a Ford dealer that has 3 locations and they had the same deal.

Lastly I bought a new Dodge Durango for my wife several years ago and it was the same thing there...

Ok. Just based on my experience from speaking to others in the business and the other 60 salespeople I've met.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If you trow in dat Truecoat fer free, I'm ready ta deal, you betcha!

Sign here X____________________

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tough biz, my uncle did it for almost 20 years. Good money in the right situation and if you're a good salesman.

Good luck in your new endeavor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok. Just based on my experience from speaking to others in the business and the other 60 salespeople I've met.

Maybe it's just like that in your area. Good luck on the new gig.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:

Maybe it's just like that in your area. Good luck on the new gig.

Its possible. Thank you.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Tough biz, my uncle did it for almost 20 years. Good money in the right situation and if you're a good salesman.

Good luck in your new endeavor.

The money is good, but its work. Have to be very self-motivated and have a constant drive. Be able to reset constantly, learn and improve. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
I sell cars now. Ask me anything.

Not a question, Just a comment. Best wishes in your new career. My family has been in and around the car dealership business for a long time. Mostly finance and insurance. It's not easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sell cars. Ask me anything.

How low can you go?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
I sell cars. Ask me anything.

How low can you go?

I meant the pricing, not your character. Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Do any of your coworkers or supervisors look like this?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, describe what goes on when you bring an offer to the sales manager, what does he typically tell you to say and do? What determines what the lowest price will be on any given vehicle that day? What would you suggest for getting the best price possible? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I've always been curious about what goes on behind the scenes.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You were such a good boy!

Best to you!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’m looking at a diesel 2500 or 3500 4 door, 4x4 with towing package. I don’t need leather and all the fancy packages but I would like a bench seat in the front. What can I realistically expect to pay? Where are you located?

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post