SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    German police confirm several killed after vehicle plows through crowd in Muenster
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German police confirm several killed after vehicle plows through crowd in Muenster Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Looks like some bad guys with cars may be using assault vehicles in Europe again, perhaps. The story is still breaking.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...owd-in-muenster.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Someone here has a tagline about one good guy with a gun can stop a bunch of trouble. I wonder if that is a thing said in the EU?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Someone here has a tagline about one good guy with a gun can stop a bunch of trouble. I wonder if that is a thing said in the EU?

How are you going to defend from a speeding 2 plus ton vehicle plowing into a crowd of people? I doubt my EDC will be very useful in that scenario.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How are you going to defend from a speeding 2 ton vehicle plowing into a crowd of people?

Shooting at a driver will not stop an immediate threat. It may stop it sooner, but your time would be best spent getting out of the way vs. shooting.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a car salesman at my local Toyota dealership recently and he mentioned that all new Toyota vehicles except the 4Runner have sensors in the grill that can sense a pedestrian and will stop the vehicle if they walk into its path. I said something like “they really need to adopt this tech in Europe”. The salesman didn’t laugh. It is probably only a matter of time before some heavy handed European govt requires such sensors be installed on all vehicles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
And the civilian populace continue to pay the price for Merkel's stupidity!

We have family and friends in Germany, and they are outraged by what the gubbermint has been doing over these "refugees".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

We have family and friends in Germany, and they are outraged by what the gubbermint has been doing over these "refugees".

I don't think they have identified the perp yet as a refugee. Yet. But the chances are. . . .

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet the German people vote her ass back in?!
We have the same problem in the U.S. people bitch but vote the carpetbaggers back in.

Here in WV., folks call him lynin' Joe Manchin & will vote him in for another term! And bitch about it!!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I was talking to a car salesman at my local Toyota dealership recently and he mentioned that all new Toyota vehicles except the 4Runner have sensors in the grill that can sense a pedestrian and will stop the vehicle if they walk into its path. I said something like “they really need to adopt this tech in Europe”. The salesman didn’t laugh. It is probably only a matter of time before some heavy handed European govt requires such sensors be installed on all vehicles.

I'd expect a terrorist bent on running over people could figure out which fuse to pull to disable the system. Or some other way to overcome it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
DailyMail:

“A man has shot himself dead after ploughing a minibus into a crowd of people in the German city of Münster, killing three people and leaving 26 injured.”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...ving-three-dead.html

ETA: “The crash comes on the anniversary of the Stockholm attack, when five people were killed and 14 injured after a stolen beer truck drove into a crowd in the Swedish capital last year.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
DailyMail:

“A man has shot himself dead after ploughing a minibus into a crowd of people in the German city of Münster, killing three people and leaving 26 injured.”

Workplace violence?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Not an act of Terror. The Driver was a German by birth. His Motive is not known. He is known to be mentally disturbed.

https://www.waz.de/region/tote...tot-id213948607.html

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Yet the German people vote her ass back in?!
We have the same problem in the U.S. people bitch but vote the carpetbaggers back in.

Here in WV., folks call him lynin' Joe Manchin & will vote him in for another term! And bitch about it!!

The only way merkel stays in power is thru a coalition, and her coalition is comprised of a number of groups with some unusual political thinking.

Are the voters there responsible? Sure they are. Just like they are here, they keep voting for more and more free shit.

Not to mention that the police tend to re-classify crimes, etc etc ad nauseum.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that he obviously had a firearm but chose to use his vehicle as his primary weapon instead. He probably assumed, and probably correctly, that he could cause much more carnage with his van.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
Not an act of Terror. The Driver was a German by birth. His Motive is not known. He is known to be mentally disturbed.

https://www.waz.de/region/tote...tot-id213948607.html

Doesn’t Germany ban persons with mental illnesses from owning firearms? I ask because if I’m correct, it’s strange that they say he has a known mental illness and has a firearm as Germany heavily regulates the sale and storage of firearms.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
The Driver was a German by birth.

Is he German by color?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
All this will do is add more fuel for people to ban guns. Honestly, its an example of how gun control doesnt work. I would argue since most anyone who cares does so with a large enough round to stop a person, just the simple attack of fighting back will stop most anything. Ask a criminal what scares them, cops, and people who are armed. Mental Ill or not, I doubt he truly was as Germany is heavily regulated on guns.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61Big Grinoesn’t Germany ban persons with mental illnesses from owning firearms? I ask because if I’m correct, it’s strange that they say he has a known mental illness and has a firearm as Germany heavily regulates the sale and storage of firearms.

ALL European countries prohibit people with KNOWN and DIAGNOSED mental illnesses, and even, in some countries, temporary treatable depression will see your firearms licenses temporarily suspended, along with your possession of the firearms covered by them.

Sooooooooooooooo, THAT means that any firearm he may have had was ILLEGAL!! Whoda thought?

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Elk - ask your German relatives about the refugees from the eastern german provinces after 1945 and how well they were received by their fellow Germans. According to stories from my mother, not very well.

Refugees are rarely welcomed due to the stress it placed upon those who receive the refugees.

How well were displaced Jewish refugees (without money, especially) received? Have stories from that too, before and after WWII and I'm not even Jewish.

It does not matter the religion, ethnicity and so one. Refugees will always suffer.

When the Berlin wall went up, a lot of West Berliners were happy too, in the stoppage of refugees - of the same ethnicity.

The real question is, is it part of our DNA to shun others, even of our own tribes, as part of our survival instinct?

Yes, we have isolated or limited instances of helping the less fortunate, but on a mass scale?

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elk - ask your German relatives about the refugees from the eastern german provinces after 1945 and how well they were received by their fellow Germans. According to stories from my mother, not very well.

Refugees are rarely welcomed due to the stress it placed upon those who receive the refugees.

Germans in the western regions had no choice but to accept refugees from East Prussia and beyond. Some 2.5 million Germans and Poles were fleeing the Soviet Armies who were driving west and seeking revenge.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post