SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Your Favorite CornBread Mix?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Your Favorite CornBread Mix? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I tried baking cornbread for the first time, last week. Used KrustEaz mix per directions, cast iron skillet.

Flavor was good, consistency was a bit on the tough side. Did I do something wrong for the tough consistency? Is there a better mix that I should try?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indian Head stone ground yellow corn meal and follow the directions on the back for the sweeter bread.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
While not a connoisseur, Jiffy or the Krusteau you mentioned seem reliable, especially with a can of creamed or regular corn added. Big Grin

Did a quick search... these links might prove interesting:
https://www.southernliving.com...d/best-cornbread-mix
https://www.foodtasteguide.com/best-cornbread-mix/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Bob's Red Mill has a great recipe on their corn meal bag.
Family run business in Milwaukie Ore.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only use House-Autry, always good results with my cornbread

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This right here won't disappoint.

https://www.weisenberger.com/category_s/1841.htm

Somewhat local to me, well about 60 miles.
I volunteer with the fish fry our little community organization does, and their Hushpuppy mix is what we use, and we get plenty of compliments on the Hushpuppys.

Weisenberger Mills, family owned for 6 generations, since 1865.

If not available in local stores, can order from them, also on Amazon.

(No affiliation with them).

That said Jeffy cornbread mix has always been good, heck that is what my mom used most of the time.

Weisenberger Mills is better, plus they have different things, cornbread (white and yellow). Hushpuppy, spoonbread, fish batter mix, funnel cake mix,

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If I buy store bought mix (which is rare) I like the Central Market Cheddar Jalapeño mix.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We’ve always used Jiffy. Simple, easy, and even I can’t mess it up.
Great with lots of butter, and ham and beans on top.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha White or Jiffy. Nothing fancy.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
This right here won't disappoint.

https://www.weisenberger.com/category_s/1841.htm

ARman

Yep that's where I've bought it, great stuff, and get unbolted if you want to try true old school southern cornbread, and use buttermilk !

Cornbread, Muffins or Sticks

1 3/4 Cups of Weisenberger Plain Cornmeal
1 Egg 1 ½ Cups Buttermilk (to use sweet milk, omit sugar)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon soda

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients then add beaten egg. Pour in Buttermilk. Fill pans after a generous greasing.

Bake 15 minutes in 500 deg. oven.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Famous Dave's Cornbread mix........and add some chopped jalapenos.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Check the date, the leavening isn’t forever. It might be that simple.
I’ve used Jiffy forever, but Famous Dave’s is good. I prefer a sweeter style though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you’re willing to stir pan, stop with the concept of “mix”.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jiffy!
However, I’ll use buttermilk instead of regular milk, toss about a tablespoon or two of honey in there too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Most days I bake some Betty Crocker Garlic Cheese Biscuits, or Marie Callender's Corn Bread. I buy it at my grocery store, but here’s the Amazon URL:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0014CVTO4/r..._api_i_3UT7EbQ67SF82

I ABHOR sweet cornbread, and Marie Callender's mix is less sweet than any other that I’ve tried. “Just add water” – powdered egg yolk is in the mix.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Famous Dave's Cornbread mix........and add some chopped jalapenos.

Yep!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think many of us just go with what we grew up with. This is why I use Aunt Jemima Yellow Corn Meal with the recipe (minus the sugar) on the back. Cooked in the same cast iron skillet that I grew up eating from. I still cannot believe my older brothers did not want those cast iron pans.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I grew up on my mama's cornbread.

She used either non PC Aunt Jemima or Quaker Enriched corn meal. And all purpose flour, baking powder, salt,milk,some oil, eggs.

NO SUGAR my daddy said if he wanted cake he would eat cake.

And bake it in a black iron skillet.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Jiffy Mix for the win

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I tried baking cornbread for the first time, last week. Used KrustEaz mix per directions, cast iron skillet.

Flavor was good, consistency was a bit on the tough side. Did I do something wrong for the tough consistency? Is there a better mix that I should try?
. Since I have Celiac (Gluten) problems I use the Gluten free Krusteaz and my wife thinks it taste better than the regular mix.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post