SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Students vote to give blacks free tuition at Western Kentucky University
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Students vote to give blacks free tuition at Western Kentucky University Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Just another episode from the daily twilight zone that seems to pervade this country, especially at the universities. How would something like this effect enrollment (as in paid enrollment)? I doubt these kids have thought about it or care.

The student government at Western Kentucky University on Tuesday voted in favor of giving free tuition to black students.

The school’s Student Government Associationpassed a resolution by 19-10 supporting slavery reparations for black students in the form of free tuition and free access to the public Bowling Green campus.

The resolution also recommends that the university create a task force to “assess the feasibility of test-optional admissions and geographically-weighted admissions,” claiming that some standardized testing poses a disadvantage for needy students and perpetuates inequality and “white supremacy,” The Bowling Green Daily News reported.

“We demand reparations for the systemic denial of access to high quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all black people (including undocumented, currently and formerly incarcerated people to Western Kentucky University),” the resolution reads, according to the Daily News.

SGA President Jay Todd Richey told the newspaper that the long-shot resolution is meant as a “conversation starter.”

“Due to discriminatory education, housing and employment policies that have disproportionately held back Black Americans, we believe this resolution is ultimately a conversation starter for discussing how to make college both more affordable and accessible for communities of color and marginalized people in general,” he wrote in an email.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...dents-vote-to-give-/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I did my undergrad there.

This is BULLSHIT. Giving someone something others pay thousands for just because of the color of their skin is FUCKING RACIST.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Students vote to give blacks free tuition at Western Kentucky University

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Rachel Dolezal is going back to school.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

And, why we shouldn't let teenagers make important monetary decisions. Why don't we ask the parents - you know, the folks actually paying the bills - if they're okay with it?

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The first question that comes to mind is "The one drop rule." A product of the Jim Crow era, it basically classifies as Black anyone that had even a drop of Black blood. Wonder how many will use this to get freet tuition.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Right now this means nothing.

I'm honestly getting really worried for the next 10-15 years when these idiots are actually in a position with some amount of power.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It won't ever happen. It's kids playing at real world with no real power and no real consequences

Meanwhile, the grownups, as can be seen in the statement from the university president, said "yeah, that's nice" and will continue to operate in as close to the real world as academia gets.....

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Lets see where this is in ten years. Unintended consequences in ten years the enrollment of blacks will be really high. I mean heck if someone offered to pay for my college that would be a huge motivator to attend that school.

Now cost increase for others to help pay for the free students. So the paying students decrease and the free ones increase. Yep I see where this is going.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the administration doesn't go along, I'm sure the 19 who voted in favor would make the financial sacrifice to come up with the cash themselves or even give up their slots for the less advantaged--NOT.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm honestly getting really worried for the next 10-15 years when these idiots are actually in a position with some amount of power.

Yes, this is the real fear! They are the up and coming demographic, and these stories are all too frequent. Look how far Bernie got.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the students actually believe all the justifications they cite for their vote, they should ask for a refund of whatever money they’ve already spent on education themselves.

Modern beliefs due to generations of leftist propaganda and profound ignorance is absolutely astounding. This sort of thing used to alarm me, but these days I view it just as I would if we suddenly discovered a huge asteroid was going to hit the Earth and there was nothing we could do to prevent it and the humanity-destroying consequences.

I feel some regret for all those who didn’t expect their lives to end that way, but I’m reminded of a line from the movie Animal House: “You fucked up; you trusted us!” or when Goebbels said essentially the same thing about the German people and their support of the Nazi party. What this sort of attitude and ignorance demonstrates is how the American people allowed a society-destroying world view to become widely accepted with hardly a word of protest. The asteroid is coming, and I am convinced that when it turns what was once the greatest nation in the history of the planet into a third world hellhole, all anyone will be able to say is, “What happened?”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The University needs to hand these students their next tuition bill. The one where the cost as tripled to cover their little decision. Then see how in favor they are of the free tuition concept.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with it.... just so long as the student can prove that they were indeed a slave before getting benefits.

And I hope the rest of these idiots enjoy their now higher tuition.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The University needs to hand these students their next tuition bill. The one where the cost as tripled to cover their little decision. Then see how in favor they are of the free tuition concept.

All for it!

The students could care less, Mommy & Daddy are footing the bill. I'll lay good money that the ones who are actually paying their own way checked the "HELL NO" box.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
So, it's essentially a racist Bernie Sanders deal. He would have given everyone a free ride, as I recall - these guys only care about one particular race.

But, it's kiddies at play. Full of sound and fury, and all that. Writing checks would take an account, which the student council doesn't have.

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Let the students who voted for it, pay for it...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

Yes, this is the real fear! They are the up and coming demographic, and these stories are all too frequent. Look how far Bernie got.

I get what you are saying and don't disagree. But, as usually happens with young people, most of them will change their attitude when confronted with the real world of paying taxes, owning a home, having kids, etc. At least that's my hope!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
student government

This is a worse joke than when I was in junior high and high school (1970s California). "Hi, I'm" [insert name of "most 'popular' guy/girl here] "and I'm running for student body president," speeches and campaign posters and everything. Roll Eyes Students do not and never did "govern" jack shit. It is purely illusory, to give the feeling of actually "doin' sumthin'." It is worse in college because a college-age person should have learned by now that the assholes are in charge. Hopefully the assholes real government of the school will overrule this.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Hopefully the assholes real government of the school will overrule this.

They won't have to overrule anything. This whole thing is a joke. These are idiot children who are utterly clueless in reality.

Frankly, this type of garbage should never even be a story in the newspaper outside of their own little school paper. What an embarrassment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post