SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone make the roux for their gumbo in the oven?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make the roux for their gumbo in the oven? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I followed a fellow's roux making method of baking the flour for 20 minutes at 350F in the oven. The flour still looked white until mixed with the oil. The color wasn't very dark and that bothered me. It tasted OK, but I may have been hungrier than usual. Has anyone else used the oven method and got a dark chocolate colored roux?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We used to make brown roux for brown gravy in the oven when I was a cook in the Army.

We used melted shortening and flour in a large roasting pan and baked it 375-400 stirring with a whisk regularly. The key was to start with a thin layer of the raw roux and the constant stirring.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I think it's easier on the stove top. I get mine pretty dark.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The longer you leave it in the oven the darker it will get.
The advantage is that it doesn't need to be watched as closely. If you're trying to do a dark roux on the stove, you gotta watch it like a hawk once it starts getting dark.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
I usually make it in the oven. It takes about an hour and gives me time to do all my prep work.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've not tried it yet, but ATK just had an episode where they toasted the flour in the oven at 425 to make a roux.

America's Test Kitchen - Big Easy Favorites

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, no.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I tried this last time; it turned out very well.

Cook's Illustrated Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (stovetop roux)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I made for Gumbo it was light too.
However, my understanding it was because I clarified the butter (removed solids after melting).
Didn't really bother me and the Gumbo was great (but man is it expensive to make good gumbo).

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try bacon grease or just regular lard in place of the oil. It will change your life....

Posts: 103 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: March 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ what he said

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Yes, a few times when I was behind but I prefer to make it on the stove top.

But, I figure if it is good enough for Alton it is good enough for me...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I followed a fellow's roux making method of baking the flour for 20 minutes at 350F in the oven. The flour still looked white until mixed with the oil. The color wasn't very dark and that bothered me. It tasted OK, but I may have been hungrier than usual. Has anyone else used the oven method and got a dark chocolate colored roux?

Wait, what? You cooked o lunch flour in the oven? You need to cook the fat as well in order to make a roux....

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need to cook the fat as well in order to make a roux....

Not according to the dry roux technique link(s) in some of the posts above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpsouthhtr:
Try bacon grease or just regular lard in place of the oil. It will change your life....

Yes indeed it will!!! I do make it on the stove top.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How ya stir it? You'd have to keep opening the oven.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I've not tried it yet, but ATK just had an episode where they toasted the flour in the oven at 425 to make a roux.

America's Test Kitchen - Big Easy Favorites

I trust ATK. So, I'll try it at 45-55 minutes at 425F. It makes the color look right and not as much oil is used. Thanks guys.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Here's Alton Brown's version of shrimp gumbo complete with oven baked roux instructions.

Shrimp Gumbo - Alton Brown

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Seems unnatural to not stir your roux.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
A dry roux?
That can't be true
A roux you can't stir?
Not for me; no sir!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post