SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DSLR camera? Update on page 1
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSLR camera? Update on page 1 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I shoot portraiture and events with a Nikon D800. My lenses are the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G, and Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G. Flashes are a SB-810 and SB-900.

Now that my son is playing in a basketball league, I needed a setup for shooting indoor sports. So I picked up a Nikon D500 and Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM lens.

I'm quite pleased with both cameras and my selection of lenses.

The D500 is a great camera for shooting sports and fast action, and the Sigma zoom is the perfect focal length for his basketball games (it's very fast for a zoom lens too).

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olympus E3 and a bunch of Zuicko lenses. I started with an OM1 decades ago, so when transitioning to digital I stayed with Olympus.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
What are you using and are you happy with it?

I have an old Nikon D80 with a not so good kit lens. Today I upgraded to the Nikon D7200 with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G lens. Cheap lens but it gets good reviews. For Christmas I'll spend some money on a good lens.

Depending on what you shoot, a used 50mm 1.4 can be had cheap, my go to are 50mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8, and 17-35 2.8. The 17-35 nearly never leaves the camera body, unless I'm putting the 50 on for static shots with bokeh. They're all really expensive, but the picture quality can't be beat.

That's certainly a great lens setup but will set you back some serous dough.

oh for sure, deals can be found on KEH though. I got them in excellent condition for fair prices. Buy once and all that

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
You made a great choice with the D7200. I might suggest if you want a single all around lens, look for an 18-300 f3.5. With the DX sensor it will have a viewfinder image at full magnification of a 450mm lens. My suggestion is to shop for a used lens at KEH or B&H and stay with the excellent, excellent + or like new. You will not be disappointed with their conservative ratings and it will save you some serious money vs. new. You can shoot a wide variety of pictures with this one lens. The only minor shortcoming of the DX cameras is that wide angle lenses do not seem like wide angle on the FX cameras. Of course you can always zoom to a wider perspective by backing up. :^)
I solved the issues of perspective by owning a D810 and a D500. I have the best of both worlds with the lenses and body combinations I have.
The 18-200 VR2 is a great lens, too. My D7100 wears one. Yes, the 18mm behaves like a 27mm on a DX camera, but if one needs a wider coverage one can take a panorama. My D7100 does not have a function for that, but I use Autostitch® to merge photos and it works great. With care, one does not need a tripod to shoot panorama photos, either. An advantage of achieving wide coverage that way is that there is less stretching of picture elements at the edges that way:

pano 2113-2115.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr
Note that the person at the right edge is normal, not stretched. One can easily get a full 180° (or more), too:

pano 3140-3143.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post