SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DSLR camera? Update on page 1
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSLR camera? Update on page 1 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Canon since high school (TLb). My first EOS was a 10s, which moved me to the EF lens mount. I switched to digital with a 20D (and ironically shot my last roll of film while working for Kodak).

Today I have a 7D Mk II, and I picked up a new 70D as a 2nd body for pretty much free cashing in United Airlines miles which I was never going to use.

The innovations today are less about megapixels and more about lower noise levels at higher ISO settings, which in turn, lets you get away with slower lenses when light is low.

I've also used them for some production video, though as others have said, there are compromises involved depending on what you are trying to do.

While Canon and Nikon are the long-time market leaders, competition in digital photography is heating up, especially as the line between still and video continues to blur. Panasonic and Sony have some really good stuff out there, all depending on what you are trying to do.

There is also an increasing market for lens adapters, so (again, depending on what you are trying to do and the limitations) is starting to make "glass investment" less of an issue.

If you are considering what to buy, I would suggest moving beyond "DSLR" in your search, and take a look at the high-end mirrorless cameras entering the market as well.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a full m4/3s kit and loved it, great technology. Just depend how much deep you want to get into photography.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canon 5D MkII. I started with Nikon way back in 1980 with Nikon film bodies. Transitioned to Canon when I was shooting Winston Cup racing 86-92. The focusing system was faster (not necessarily more accurate) than the Nikon AF system at that time. Moved into EOS 1-n bodies. had an APS-C 40D and shot 100k + frames through it, then moved to a 5D MkII. Others are right, though, these days it's about the glass. The bodies are like PC's......prepare to replace every two years max.
Have some superb L series glass, starting with the 24-105 2.8L , a 70-200 2.8L IS, a 35-350L, a 300 4.0 and a 400 5.6L with 1.4 and 2x converters. I have access to 16 and 20mm w/a if needed too.

Posts: 214 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I started with a Nikon D3100, after two years someone showed me how to shoot manual and I quickly progressed to a D7100 and now have a D750 which is great kit. I have Tamron 24-70,70-200 and 15-30mm, all great glass.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olympus E420 Old but still works good after tens of thousands++++ photos.

Posts: 5 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Bodies:
Nikon D750 current main body
Nikon D600 used to be a main body, now backup

Lenses:
Tamron 15-30 f/2.8
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D
Nikon 35mm f/2D
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

Speedlight:
SB-800

Either body, when paired with the Tamron or the Nikon 35mm, will produce mind blowing results for my needs. On occasions where I need the reach, or for portraiture, the 80-200 fills the need nicely. I'm honestly not sure why I still have the 50, except for the fact that it's got such a low "street" value that it's not worth the effort and fees to sell the damned thing, seeing as I never use it.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My latest one is a Nikon D750. Still have the D7100 and a D5300 as well. Outside of not having the opportunities to use it as wished, I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
just a cheap D90. IMO lenses are more important than camera bodies.

these were all taken with my d90 and quality glass

http://www.fabspeed.com/blog/e...iano-in-monterey-ca/

Those are as clear as can be, almost like you can reach out and touch them.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Canon 5D Mark IV.

You have good taste! That's what I shoot too. I've been shooting the Canon platform for years. If I were to "downgrade", the 6D is a good choice too. I got one of those for my daughter as a graduation present, and she loves it.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon D750, primarily with the 24-120 VR but also have a 70-300 VR and a rather extensive collection of fixed focal lengths Nikkors with the oldest being a 50mm F2 Nikkor H with the AIS conversion kit. BTW, many old timers consider the 50mm Nikkor H to be the finest 50mm that Nikon ever made.

For many years the only lenses I owned were fixed focal lengths because the questionable image quality of common zoom lenses prior to sometime in the mid to late 90's kept me using Primes. The first zoom I ever had that impressed my was the 18-85mm that came with my D70 and when the 18-105 VR hit the market I was really impressed. As for the 24-120, I've done crops equivalent to about 320mm with this lens and I was stunned at how well the image quality held up. While it won't replace the 70-300 VR it is nice to know that in a pinch it can do duty as a 300mm substitute for not so critical images.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
What are you using and are you happy with it?

I have an old Nikon D80 with a not so good kit lens. Today I upgraded to the Nikon D7200 with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G lens. Cheap lens but it gets good reviews. For Christmas I'll spend some money on a good lens.

Depending on what you shoot, a used 50mm 1.4 can be had cheap, my go to are 50mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8, and 17-35 2.8. The 17-35 nearly never leaves the camera body, unless I'm putting the 50 on for static shots with bokeh. They're all really expensive, but the picture quality can't be beat.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I upgraded to the Nikon D7200 with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G lens. Cheap lens but it gets good reviews. For Christmas I'll spend some money on a good lens.

That lens may be cheap in price but not performance. You will not find a better buy on a Nikon lens. I had the "D" model(older with no internal motor).

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
What are you using and are you happy with it?

I have an old Nikon D80 with a not so good kit lens. Today I upgraded to the Nikon D7200 with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G lens. Cheap lens but it gets good reviews. For Christmas I'll spend some money on a good lens.

Depending on what you shoot, a used 50mm 1.4 can be had cheap, my go to are 50mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8, and 17-35 2.8. The 17-35 nearly never leaves the camera body, unless I'm putting the 50 on for static shots with bokeh. They're all really expensive, but the picture quality can't be beat.

That's certainly a great lens setup but will set you back some serous dough.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Today I upgraded to the Nikon D7200 with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G lens. Cheap lens but it gets good reviews. For Christmas I'll spend some money on a good lens.

That lens may be cheap in price but not performance. You will not find a better buy on a Nikon lens. I had the "D" model(older with no internal motor).

Yeah I'm getting very good images with it. I'm very pleased with this lens.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first was a Nikon D100 before moving into D2s. One managed a round 800k shutter clicks before biting it. My other one was close to that.

Sold off my 300/2.8AFS-II to replace those with two mint D300s models. Still use those and a D300 as backup. Using Nikon 17-55/2.8 and just picked up a mint Nikon 70-200/2.8 to replace my trust 80-200/2.8 AFS that died a slow death.

My film days I started with a Pentax K1000 and then went to: Pentax ME Super, Nikon FE2, Nikon F3HP, Canon T90, Canon F1s and then back to Nikon F3/F4/F100/F5 before switching to digital.

Loved all of those cameras except the F4...that was a total dog...

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Masteri...-Young/dp/1937538745

Custom setting f9 will allow you to turn auto ISO on or off with the movie record button when not filming movies. You can also adjust ISO manually when auto ISO is off. Use the front wheel while holding down the record button to make your adjustments.

Congrats on the new camera.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I tried the digital SLR camera route when we moved away from film. I just don't shoot enough, or post process enough, to enjoy the extra benefits of an SLR, but I also don't care for the simple point and shoot cameras. My iPhone is good enough for most shots. Beyond that, I use the modern equivalent of my old Leica viewfinder M model, which is a Fuji X100. It can save RAW, but I find the highest JPG setting to be the most convenient for my purposes. It produces very high quality pix.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You made a great choice with the D7200. I might suggest if you want a single all around lens, look for an 18-300 f3.5. With the DX sensor it will have a viewfinder image at full magnification of a 450mm lens. My suggestion is to shop for a used lens at KEH or B&H and stay with the excellent, excellent + or like new. You will not be disappointed with their conservative ratings and it will save you some serious money vs. new. You can shoot a wide variety of pictures with this one lens. The only minor shortcoming of the DX cameras is that wide angle lenses do not seem like wide angle on the FX cameras. Of course you can always zoom to a wider perspective by backing up. :^)
I solved the issues of perspective by owning a D810 and a D500. I have the best of both worlds with the lenses and body combinations I have.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2885 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon D5500. MY first DSLR and I love it. The lens I use the most is the 35mm F1.8 (~$200) and I get amazing results.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navman316:
Nikon D5500. MY first DSLR and I love it. The lens I use the most is the 35mm F1.8 (~$200) and I get amazing results.

+1 on that 35mm prime lens. Loving mine.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post