SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HOA gets even worse, keep garage doors open or get fined.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOA gets even worse, keep garage doors open or get fined. Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
if one were to prove the negligence of the HOA was contributing factor to the theft, then the owner may have a shot at collecting.

How is them asking you to open your door or face a fine negligence? If they came over and opened it for you I would see it. If they told you to jump off a bridge or they would fine you $200, would they be culpable for you jumping off of a bridge?

Others have already struck on the solution. You make their new rules more miserable for them than the conditions leading up to it, or vote them out.

HOAs have a few clear key points that they dislike: Trash cans, tall grass, junk cars, signage, decorations, noise, etc. I'm sure somebody who's fairly crafty could implement several of those design features into an open garage door scene.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The atteactive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts, in the United States. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
How is them asking you to open your door or face a fine negligence?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
No way my HOA says to leave our garage doors open.

If people sleeping in the garage is a city code violation, get them involved (I know laughable) and leave the rest alone. It has to suck with this shit going on in your neighborhood.

Sounds like what they really need is a big wall built way south of them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
You have GOT to be kidding me Roll Eyes

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Get one of the xmas projectors, then you can download videos to a USB, and set it on loop, hang up the screen where the door are is and you could have all kinds of cool things to be seen LOL

Hey that's an idea. It's whackyland, home of liberal politics. How about putting Trump videos on for all to see? Bwahahahah!

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Hey guys you can't fix stupid. I would move in a heartbeat.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
if one were to prove the negligence of the HOA was contributing factor to the theft, then the owner may have a shot at collecting.

How is them asking you to open your door or face a fine negligence? If they came over and opened it for you I would see it. If they told you to jump off a bridge or they would fine you $200, would they be culpable for you jumping off of a bridge?

Others have already struck on the solution. You make their new rules more miserable for them than the conditions leading up to it, or vote them out.

HOAs have a few clear key points that they dislike: Trash cans, tall grass, junk cars, signage, decorations, noise, etc. I'm sure somebody who's fairly crafty could implement several of those design features into an open garage door scene.

Your cherry picked my post. Look at the first part of it.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The atteactive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts, in the United States. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children

That makes the person with the open door liable. Not the HOA for asking you to do so. The HOA has zero liability here. It's not their doors, it's not their property, it's not them leaving the doors open, and ultimately they are not making you open them either.

quote:
Your cherry picked my post. Look at the first part of it.

The "it would be difficult" part? Because it's beyond difficult. I suspect from a legal standpoint it's impossible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think when people hear the words HOA, they automatically go to upscale developments and semi-gated areas, this is far from that. As another poster pointed out, there's a lot of trash and meth-heads crawling out of the woodwork in these places.
Here's the local news and gives you an idea.
http://fox40.com/2018/01/05/au...e-garage-doors-open/

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I watched the news story and got a kick out of the guy that had his door opened the height of a paint can.

He's got a point. They didn't say how open it had to be. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Anybody else notice in the tv news segment that the door of the closed office has a security mesh over the door? So they can be concerned with security but no one else can?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has to be illegal as it's jeopardizing the safety of the home owners.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
That makes the person with the open door liable. Not the HOA for asking you to do so. The HOA has zero liability here. It's not their doors, it's not their property, it's not them leaving the doors open, and ultimately they are not making you open them either.

I agree it's not their property or their doors (so they should STFU!!), but how is a $200 fine "not making you open them"? They can and will (in most places that have freaking HOAs) file a lien to enforce the fine.

These little HOA tyrant wannabes need this broken off in their ass...sooner rather than later.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would leave it open just as soon as the hoa took total responsibility for anything that came up missing for any reason and put it in writing and had a bond to back it up.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's the point I was making. The HOA will fine you if you don't open your garage doors, which IMNSHO creates an attractive nuisance that puts the liability 100% on the home owner.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
but how is a $200 fine "not making you open them"?

Because you could risk paying the fine in lieu of opening it or sell your property and move. If you refused to physically open the door the door won't be open. It's not like the HOA is coming by, kicking in your door, and opening it for you.

Let's say the HOA requires that you park in your driveway even though you prefer parking in the street. One night you're parked in your driveway and a sinkhole develops and swallows your car. Should the HOA be liable for that?

What if the planned community with HOA lays out two types of homes. You can choose between a single story and a two story. You want a split level, which is not allowed under the community rules. Are they making you buy a single story or a two story? Are they making you agree to the rules?

Just because you don't like the alternative options doesn't mean you're being forced to choose another. Beyond that, I suspect part of the paperwork they signed as part of the HOA agreement absolves the HOA of liability.

HOAs can be the devil. So can local government that believes in the same silly nonsense. You have choices.

www.zykansafe.com

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
Exactly why I will never live in an HOA again!

I won't consider any community that has an HOA. I'm not going to let some "Neighborhood Nazi" tell me how to keep my property.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post