SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HOA gets even worse, keep garage doors open or get fined.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOA gets even worse, keep garage doors open or get fined. Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
This is a new low for HOA's, I didn't think they could get any worse but it's happened. I'm beyond disgusted. So the little petty tyrants had a brain fart. I hope this bites the HOA pricks in the ass, and their wallet. I searched and don't think this is jib jab.

PLACER COUNTY, Calif. (KCRA) —
A Placer County homeowners association is mandating that its residents keep their garage doors open throughout the day during the workweek.

The policy, according to a notice taped to residents' doors, states that people who live in Auburn Greens face "an immediate hearing notice and subjected to a $200 fine" if they do not comply. The notice states the policy was enacted in October.

Advertisement
According to board member Norma Brewer, the policy was put in place after it was discovered that a resident was allowing people to live in his or her garage. She would not comment beyond that.

"That's an issue that they should address differently, I feel," said Fred Waidtlow, who owns one of the units in the community.

KCRA-TV
Waidtlow cleaned out his garage Thursday and moved personal belongings inside his unit as he voiced frustration with the policy.

"If we have to have this open from 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon, anybody can help themselves and steal you blind. And they do it in this Auburn Greens complex," he said.

Others echoed that sentiment.

"This will just be an open door policy and saying, 'Welcome, take what you want,'" said neighbor Shally Ia, who plans to keep her garage door closed.

Auburn Greens' on-site management closed its window as KCRA 3 pulled into the parking lot and subsequently posted a sign saying the office was closed. A phone call to the office was not returned.

Property management company, Eugene Burger Management Corporation, had no comment and referred KCRA 3 to the local district manager. A phone call and email to the district manager was not returned.

A spokesman for the California Association of Homeowners Associations said it's possible for an HOA to create this kind of rule. He added that California civil code sets the laws for making rule changes, which typically require a vote of the owners. It's not clear whether that took place.

John Sprankling, a professor at the McGeorge School of Law, said there's likely no law prohibiting this move. However, he said the law states that a rule must be considered reasonable, which can be a difficult thing to argue.

A judge would ultimately decide whether this rule is reasonable, he said. Based on the circumstances, Sprankling believes a judge would rule against the policy because it provides security concerns -- and added that the board can find a less intrusive way of meeting its goals.

LINK. Link

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Call a special meeting, vote the board out, a new board in, fire the management company and go from there.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this was voted by just the HOA board, the homeowners should attend the next meeting in mass and vote to overturn the board vote.
Then the members should consider voting the board members that voted for this policy out of office.
I would be sending the HOA board a letter stating that any loss I suffer do to this rule, I will hold the HOA and the board financially responsible.

Posts: 371 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds retarded as one of the main purposes of a garage is to keep your cars and other safe from theft.

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Call a special meeting, vote the board out, a new board in, fire the management company and go from there.
^^ THIS ^^

I’ve posted many times about doing this and that is how I ended up on HOA BOD.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Exactly why I will never live in an HOA again!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's straight up retarded.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! But then, I looked. This is Commie Kali, after all. So, no shock at all. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's brain-dead even by California standards.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Some people are just too stupid to live.

I'm just seriously speechless at this.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would install a giant bead curtain, just out of spite.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
subjected to a $200 fine

They could kiss my ass and lick on the knob for free.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
People living in the garage? But, it's a sanctuary garage... You racists!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hey, if these sheep continue to let their lives be controlled by their gods, then they deserve exactly what's coming to them.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
We passed on several homes because they had HOA. Never. Never. Never.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That's straight up retarded.

No further discussion needed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickc007:
Sounds retarded as one of the main purposes of a garage is to keep your cars and other safe from theft.

Around here the garage is to store your useless junk while your cars sit outside. Razz

Posts: 13107 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What do the CC&Rs say?

If you own your unit in fee simple, as opposed to an exclusive use area, and there is no restriction about use of a garage, then what authority is there to say one has to live in the living room, put beds in a bedroom, bathe in a bathroom, etc.?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
We passed on several homes because they had HOA. Never. Never. Never.

My wife & I are now in our "mid" 50's. I've made it very clear to her for many years that I will NEVER live in an HOA. I saw the insanity from my parent's HOA 25+ years ago.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could kiss my ass... no way in hell, am I leaving the door open!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post