SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global warming. Not.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global warming. Not. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
"In a little over a decade the world could be plunged into a 'mini ice age', scientists have warned.

Temperatures will start dropping in 2021, according to a mathematical model of the Sun's magnetic energy.

This, they say, will lead to a phenomenon known as the 'Maunder minimum' - which has previously been known as a mini ice age when it hit between 1646 and 1715, even causing London's River Thames to freeze over…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec...ni-ice-age-2030.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I just mentioned that to the wife no more than thirty minutes ago after watching a news report on all the snow in Erie, PA.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well that's a damn long to time to listen to the snowflakes whining about how we are killing the earth.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
And here I thought the glaciers were going to melt and drown everyone. Wish they’d make up their minds as to what global catastrophe is going to kill us all. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When I was in tenth grade (circa 1990) all the talk in science class was of the coming ice age. Seemed back then all the scientists thought we were due since they were a pretty regular occurrence over earths' history.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Shit, I was enjoying the mild weather!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They can't accurately predict the weather coming next week. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
This has been predicted since at least 2007. Back then, some scientists projected that the mini-age was related to sun spot activity and would probably begin between 2015 and 2020.

It won't matter if the Thames freezes over, because the Left will still tie it to their man-made climate change boogeyman.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like the new ice age is starting. Frown It's supposed to be about 12° tonight.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Damnit, I just bought a boat.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So, it looks like Bill Murray was right!

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's getting warmer, it's getting colder, warmer, colder.

I went thru this when The Mrs. went thru menopause.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
What are they saying - That the sun can make the Earth warm or cold? How can that be? The sun is so far away... Eek

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I thought the sun only made day and night. Next thing you know they will be saying the moon makes the oceans go up and down!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The problem with "global warming" is that it is ill defined, and in a planetary scale of time, "50-60 years" is nothing.

What can we see that is actually true?

Extreme weather, for one. a rise in the average temperature in the worlds oceans. There are other factors that are real.

But what do they actually mean?

Well, I'd like to see truth on the matter, and that truth is hard to find.

Only one thing is true.

The earth is in no danger. It will be fine. Long after we're all dead, the earth will remain.

So, perhaps the problem is poorly framed. We'll never kill the planet, even if we nuke it, on a cosmic scale it will be here unit the Sun dies.

When the Department of Defense is investing in solar power and taking other steps, I'd say that there are "credible threats" out there that are real, which are climate related.

I do like the ideas of many things about saving energy and "being green," but for me, energy independence from OPEC and the Saudis is a much more prominent motivator.

Some sort of balance must be reached, we need to live here, and we should understand that if we aren't a steward of the planet we'll destroy our food production, air quality and other parts needed to not die.

We need to drill for oil, and precious minerals. We need logging, etc.

We need balance, that is what will bring long term sustainability to us, and our environment.

What I don't have time for, is the enviro-nuts.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I love these predictions. Almost none ever prove true. It’s a wonder that people still make them.

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” — Mark Twain

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Shall I repost the George Carlin "saving the planet" video, or has everybody seen it?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I love these predictions. Almost none ever prove true. It’s a wonder that people still make them.

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” — Mark Twain

How else would they get grants? No one is going to give money out for non alarmist research.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
well, we can stave it off if we immediately start pumping tons and tons of greenhouse gasses into the air...

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post