SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which automotive sound deadening material?? (Update: Back wall done)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which automotive sound deadening material?? (Update: Back wall done) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I ended up ordering 32 square feet of Killmat. It got delivered today and honestly did not expect it to be that heavy for some reason.
Not concerned about weight was just surprised when I went to pick up the box.

Seems like SecondSkin is the best but I can’t justify the insane cost.
Noico was next on the list but a couple reviews says it smells and that it will dissipate but can return slightly in the heat.
My wife has a huge aversion to rubber/petroleum smells for some reason so I opted against the Noico.

Please take some pictures of your project if possible.

Will do. I document all my modifications. I have a binder for each vehicle I have owned.
I already have had the interior of my Mustang pulled out for a couple of years now and am ready to start putting it back (I had planned on doing it last year but well COVID).
So if the Tundra goes fairly well I will be doing the Mustang.

I am sure I'll screw it up some how.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I ended up ordering 32 square feet of Killmat. It got delivered today and honestly did not expect it to be that heavy for some reason.
Not concerned about weight was just surprised when I went to pick up the box.

Seems like SecondSkin is the best but I can’t justify the insane cost.
Noico was next on the list but a couple reviews says it smells and that it will dissipate but can return slightly in the heat.
My wife has a huge aversion to rubber/petroleum smells for some reason so I opted against the Noico.

FWIW, I am sure Killmat will work just fine.
My Noico never had any odor and just know that Second Skin is used differently in different areas.
Second Skin, CCCF and MLV (Second Skin is a hybrid of both) should be use with Killmat or other similar product.
Yeah they get stiff, heavy and sometimes very difficult to deal with.
But the Butyl product is the foundation and Killmat will be great.
Congrats.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
2 reviews of the Noico mentioned the smell the other 5 or so did not.
But as bad as the smell bothers my wife I figured better to err on the side of caution.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So I got to it a little today. I got the back wall and panel. Pulled the seats 8 bolts was easy. Of course had 3 car seats to pull first. Absolute worst thing about having kids is car seats. While they were out and the seat cover off I cleaned and conditioned the leather as well. Pulled the subwoofer and the foam pad between the seat and the wall. Some folks I have seen just do a layer of material right over the panel and don’t even remove it.
I opted to remove the panel for 2 reasons. 1st being so I could also put material on the inside of the back wall and 2nd so in case my window regulator ever goes bad I don’t have to cut the panel out. Not a bad job just very time consuming especially working the back wall and working around the window tracks and braces. If you removed all that it would be much easier but I was not getting into that. I think it turned out pretty well. Just doing the unscientific tap test there is a huge difference. This took me about 4 hours. I will be doing the backseat floor and putting it back together tomorrow.
I did buy an Alpine Subwoofer to just swap for the factory paper JBL but it t was a bit too deep so need to add a spacer ring. Yippy get to take the seats out again next week or so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Did the floor today. There actually is not really a ton to do. Toyota has some already on the big pan section and doing the unscientific tap test works pretty well.
Now that it is all back together it absolutely makes a huge difference. I can’t wait to get the doors done now. One can feel the bass at a much lower volume level and it is much more crisp and solid. Now my front door panels rattle a bit from the added bass.
Listening to Black Cadillac by Hollywood Undead that has some very solid long lows one can now see the door panels vibrate outside of the car. This was not visible prior so looking forward to getting in there and adding the Killmat to them. I am about $50 in material for the back and floor. Likely about the same for the doors. I presume I’ll end up doing the roof at some point.

————————————————

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Nice Tundra..... Big Grin

I put a final layer of DynaLiner on the back floor and wall of my DC..

I'd love to do the roof, but I just don't see that happening..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post