SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which automotive sound deadening material?? (Update: Back wall done)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which automotive sound deadening material?? (Update: Back wall done) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking to add some sound deadening material to all 4 doors and the back wall off the cab.
I may eventually get crazy pull the interior and do that cab floor may even do the roof. But for now just looking to clean up the sound from the audio system.

There are a slew of options anymore. Who gives the best bang for the buck?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one thinking, "Why don't you just turn up the volume?"

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Dynamat is what I’m looking at for the 55 Buick I’m slowly building.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
You might want to look into RAAMmat 60. It was recommended to me over dynamat by a car audio installer. Did the floor doors and back of cab and it quieted the road noise quite a bit.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dynamat was what I used on my Prelude 20 years ago. I was very happy the way is worked as a sound deadener. Road noise was much improved, as was sound quality from my ass kicker system.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Mat66 80mil from Amazon inside all 4 doors and the rear hatch door of my 4 runner. I also pulled all the seats and carpet out and did the whole floor front to back. I didn’t attempt to pull the headliner and do the roof. It took me about 16 hours start to finish. It really cut down on the road noise from the tires and makes the factory stereo sound a lot better. I think I was around $400-$450 all in including heat gun, and rollers. I’ve had it on for 2 years and none of it has started to fall off.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There is no one product but know it is a process.
At the first level you want to deaden the vibrations of the metal with a butyl product like Dynamat or what I used is the Noico Butyl/Metal mat ~ better priced and very effective.
Place this on floors, ceiling, walls of doors especially and anything to reduce the metal vibrations.
Next
A closed cell foam product to absorb vibrations and sound reflections ~ such as Vibro Sound Dampening Insulator in the thickness appropriate for the area.
This goes directly behind the speakers and in area where other materials can vibrate such as door skins and in some crevasse's.
Last
A Mass Loaded Vinyl to stop exterior sound such as TMS Sound Proofing Padding .
This would go on top of everything else and between the door skin and the door or similar.
Note: this is may or may not be easily done as it is very rigid and difficult to install.
For that reason you may not want to go that far.
There is a product that combines the Mass Loaded Vinyl with the closed cell foam that I have used that is great but very expensive > Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro.
It is easier to use than the MLV but still a little difficult as it is quite bulky.

All in all I would:
1) use a Butyl Product
2) top it with some closed cell foam.
3) skip the MLV as it is a ton of work to fit but it does work well.

I did all of this on my truck a couple of years ago, a lot of work but fun and effective.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Am I the only one thinking, "Why don't you just turn up the volume?"

Volume is not the issue. It gets the plenty loud enough. It just gets muddy sounding at higher volumes.
Part of the being the constant resonance of the sheet metal so I am trying to cut down on that.
The truck is actually fairly quiet in the cab from outside noise. I have the Limited trim and have been told Toyota adds a bit of sound deadening material to the higher trims (never have confirmed this).
After or maybe while I am doing the sound deadening I’ll upgrade the sub and the center channel and dash tweeters.
Then will do the door speakers. Mix ads is pretty decent with this JBL system.

————————————————

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve just ordered Kilmat for my Gladiator..it’s the exact same product as Noico but less expensive.

https://youtu.be/gDq_DJS6Zv4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
There is no one product but know it is a process.
At the first level you want to deaden the vibrations of the metal with a butyl product like Dynamat or what I used is the Noico Butyl/Metal mat ~ better priced and very effective.
Place this on floors, ceiling, walls of doors especially and anything to reduce the metal vibrations.
Next
A closed cell foam product to absorb vibrations and sound reflections ~ such as Vibro Sound Dampening Insulator in the thickness appropriate for the area.
This goes directly behind the speakers and in area where other materials can vibrate such as door skins and in some crevasse's.
Last
A Mass Loaded Vinyl to stop exterior sound such as TMS Sound Proofing Padding .
This would go on top of everything else and between the door skin and the door or similar.
Note: this is may or may not be easily done as it is very rigid and difficult to install.
For that reason you may not want to go that far.
There is a product that combines the Mass Loaded Vinyl with the closed cell foam that I have used that is great but very expensive > Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro.
It is easier to use than the MLV but still a little difficult as it is quite bulky.

All in all I would:
1) use a Butyl Product
2) top it with some closed cell foam.
3) skip the MLV as it is a ton of work to fit but it does work well.

I did all of this on my truck a couple of years ago, a lot of work but fun and effective.

Noico is one of the ones I was looking at. Is there a difference between the silver you linked and the black I had been looking at aside from color?
Noico Black 80 mil 18 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and Dampening https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

————————————————

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When you finally install the product, do not fall for the "just install a full sheet across the door, trunk, gender, etc. " philosophy. That's a waste.

Instead, cut squares, rectangles, triangles, etc of various sizes and install randomly so about 50% of the metal is covered. The rest is overkill. (Don't forget the door skin as well as the inside metal frame)

You'll get the same satisfying "thud" when trapping on the metal while saving 50% of the cost and weight.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Noico on the roof of my Ranger when I replaced the headliner. Pretty easy to install (the roller helps), made a nice difference.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Noico is one of the ones I was looking at. Is there a difference between the silver you linked and the black I had been looking at aside from color?
Noico Black 80 mil 18 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and Dampening https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No difference except the color.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't know about sound deadening on higher trims. I stripped the interior of my last Limited Tundra and used Dynamat on the doors, floorpan, and back wall. I know there are other products but used Dynamat Extreme based on past experience with it.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I don't know about sound deadening on higher trims. I stripped the interior of my last Limited Tundra and used Dynamat on the doors, floorpan, and back wall. I know there are other products but used Dynamat Extreme based on past experience with it.

Again, just something I have heard with no actual evidence of.
I find the interior to be rather quiet. I am just trying to clear up the car audio a bit.

————————————————

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Doing the doors will tighten things up a lot. The interior is pretty quiet but there's a lot of vibration in the doors. I did as much of the outer skin as I could working through the holes in the door, then covered the interior skin.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You might take a listen the guy at CarFabrication.com and his YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarAudioFabrication/videos

You have to be impressed with his detail.
Not that any of us will go to that extreme ~ you can extrapolate some facts that you can use in your installation.

One thing I learned that helped tremendously in my installation was in the door panels to block off or enclose the open areas.
It takes a little work but worth it.
I used PVC sheets cut to fit mostly although some MDF.
When you seal it (somewhat) like a real speaker the low(er) frequencies are more defined.
All the sound deadening materials is to make the interior quieter and reduce/eliminate vibrations.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The absolute best solution?

Pretty much any of the self adhesive mats, but then a layer of mass loaded vinyl and then a layer of closed cell foam (I used extra thick yoga mats from Walmart.

It made a heck of a difference. The three different products have different goals.

The adhesive sheeting most are familiar with adds mass to the sheet metal to help prevent them from vibrating.

The MLV acts as a sound barrier, making the interior quieter.

The ccf is a mechanical decoupler between the MLV and the vinyl, making it work better. Ideally, the MLV would be floating and not attached to anything.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering 32 square feet of Killmat. It got delivered today and honestly did not expect it to be that heavy for some reason.
Not concerned about weight was just surprised when I went to pick up the box.

Seems like SecondSkin is the best but I can’t justify the insane cost.
Noico was next on the list but a couple reviews says it smells and that it will dissipate but can return slightly in the heat.
My wife has a huge aversion to rubber/petroleum smells for some reason so I opted against the Noico.

————————————————

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I ended up ordering 32 square feet of Killmat. It got delivered today and honestly did not expect it to be that heavy for some reason.
Not concerned about weight was just surprised when I went to pick up the box.

Seems like SecondSkin is the best but I can’t justify the insane cost.
Noico was next on the list but a couple reviews says it smells and that it will dissipate but can return slightly in the heat.
My wife has a huge aversion to rubber/petroleum smells for some reason so I opted against the Noico.

Please take some pictures of your project if possible.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post