SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    why do airlines allow infants to travel free?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why do airlines allow infants to travel free? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
The FAA recommends infants be in car seats in their own ticketed seat but the airlines allow the less safe sitting in lap. Why do airlines allow this? What's in it for them?

I considered they don't want to disrupt the flying as habit travel mode, and want to establish the habit for the little ones.

My daughter just flew with her 10 week old and was told by a stewardess she had to hold her baby during tale off and landing instead of him being in a much more secure papoose harnessed apparatus. That seems counter intuitive. Why must they be held?

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What they get out of it is two parents buying tickets instead of staying home. We didn't fly much when our daughter was that age, but always bought her a seat. Safer and more comfortable for all concerned.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
My daughter just flew with her 10 week old and was told by a stewardess she had to hold her baby during tale off and landing instead of him being in a much more secure papoose harnessed apparatus. That seems counter intuitive. Why must they be held?

It isn't about what is safe. It's about the airline having a fixed policy and not allowing employees to make exceptions because of a fear that an employee will make a bad decision and get the company sued for millions of dollars.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a guess: wondering if in the case of an emergency evacuation it would be more hazardous and time wasting to have to unbuckle and unstrap the little one from a carrier? For quick egress, holding in arms may be superior.

Again, just a guess based on first principles.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll be upfront, I don't know. With that out of the way, in a crash, I don't think an infant seat would be of much help, like Wile E. Coyote holding up a little parasol when a boulder is about to fall on him. In something like an emergency landing or the aircraft encountering severe turbulence, I would think an infant would be a lot safer in a seat.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Because they are luggage! A carry-on bag, as it were... Razz

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No it's not. Just like the guys posting about the Navy collision, you guys say stuff with ZERO knowledge and apparently no interest in research or just asking. That would be too hard apparently. Don't complain about stupid left wing memes if you spout bullshit as fact. Glass house and all.

The airlines don't set the policy on CRS systems. That is a fancy way (FAA) to say car seats and papooses and booster seats. The Federal govt through enforcement action MANDATES what devices are legal to use in planes. Not the airline. I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, NOT THE AIRLINE. I know you want to believe that that flight attendant is making up the rules as they go but they aren't.

Basically you can only use a couple FAA approved devices. Period. You have the worlds finest car seat? Well, if it doesn't have the FAA sticker saying it's approved for flight you can't use it. Think that is stupid? Of course it is, but your angst should be pointed at your govt which mandates and enforces the rules through fines and other enforcement vehicles.

Google FAA CRS rules and regulations. You can read the entire set of binding regulations for yourself. You can read exactly why the Feds don't authorize papooses btw.

You think it's stupid that you can't finish your Diet Coke in a plastic cup while landing? Thank the Feds. How stupid is it that you can't put your phone in the seat back in front of you during takeoff? Feds. Up until recently you couldn't use phone in airplane mode. Guess who? Feds.

The airlines would let you juggle your little precious during takeoff if you wanted. They only apply the rules as dictated to them.

The worst part of this whole discussion though is that if people were really concerned about safety and not their own personal comfort during flight, they would buy a ticket and use an approved car seat throughout the flight. People don't, almost universally don't buy a ticket for under two years of age. Why? Because saving money trumps safety. Harsh but true.

At least attempt to spout the truth before banging the tired drum of the airlines suck. Maybe they do but lots of your angst is actually to the FAA not the airlines. They don't make the rules they are just forced to work under them.

At least attempt to be factual in your rants or you are no better than those idiotic left wing memes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You brought up a good point.

In a crash, a no shit crash, that car seat won't do much good. (Neither will your 1950, not even legal in cars, lap belt.)

The reason you are belted and why your baby should be in a car seat is for turbulence. I know many people who think that is bullshit but those people are willfully stupid and ignorant.

You can be flying on a perfect clear day smooth as a babies bottom and hit clear air turbulence or wake turbulence that will put an unsecured person (or baby) on the overhead before you can react.

Fact, been there done that. Not fun.

Buy a seat, use a car seat (approved). That is the safest way to fly with your baby.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
No it's not. Just like the guys posting about the Navy collision, you guys say stuff with ZERO knowledge and apparently no interest in research or just asking. That would be too hard apparently. Don't complain about stupid left wing memes if you spout bullshit as fact. Glass house and all. ...

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. Yea, I hear you. It gets tiring though listening to people spout what they think is true vice actually being true.

Airline travel can suck. It ain't the China Clipper anymore.

Blaming the airlines for federal law though is like blaming highway speed limits on Ford and GM. It is stupid and non factual.

Sorry for my rant. I've had some coffee now so I'm better. Lol

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.

Yes. That made me laugh. SigForum though is a couple of steps up from asking random strangers at the bus stop. It is fun when you see someone who is truly an expert in the field step up and set the rest of us straight.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Then they should be in the overhead bins.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Where you can't hear them screaming. Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Where you can't hear them screaming. Big Grin

Supposedly, Aeroflot used to have sound-proof crying drawers for babies.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
From the horses mouth or possibly the other end:

Federal Aviation Regulations

§ 121.311 Seats, safety belts, and shoulder
harnesses.
(a) No person may operate an airplane
unless there are available during
the takeoff, en route flight, and landing—

(1) An approved seat or berth for each
person on board the airplane who has
reached his second birthday; and
(2) An approved safety belt for separate
use by each person on board the
airplane who has reached his second
birthday, except that two persons occupying
a berth may share one approved
safety belt and two persons occupying
a multiple lounge or divan seat may
share one approved safety belt during
en route flight only.
(b) Except as provided in this paragraph,
each person on board an airplane
operated under this part shall occupy
an approved seat or berth with a
separate safety belt properly secured
about him or her during movement on
the surface, takeoff, and landing. A
safety belt provided for the occupant of
a seat may not be used by more than
one person who has reached his or her
second birthday. Notwithstanding the
preceding requirements, a child may:
(1) Be held by an adult who is occupying
an approved seat or berth, provided
the child has not reached his or
her second birthday and the child does
not occupy or use any restraining device;

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Yes. That made me laugh. SigForum though is a couple of steps up from asking random strangers at the bus stop. It is fun when you see someone who is truly an expert in the field step up and set the rest of us straight.

Are you just realizing this?? It's the internet. You have no real way of knowing if a poster is an expert, a poser (we've outed those before...) or just a well-meaning moron. Just enjoy the ride and take everything you read as entertainment. Regardless - someone's missive is just there opinion anyway as The Dude would say. With the exception of Para - it's his Casa...

There is also an 'ignore' button if there is someone in particular you find perpetually annoying. Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
FWIW... when travelling years ago with an officially FAA approved child seat WITH the brightly colored FAA sticker prominently displayed on it flight attendants on 3 of 4 legs of the trip did absolutely make up their own rules about where and how it had to be, and one in particular argued and argued that it was not FAA approved even when shown the sticker, so yes, experiences do vary.

This year, in one of the 10 legs I've flown first class I had a FA go around before take off and take away everyone's water bottles and the drinks that the other FA had already prepared and distributed because "it is FAA policy." She then re-prepared the drinks after take off and brought them around. I told her that I didn't order another drink...

In spite of FAA rules, airline rules, flight attendants make up stuff all the time.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else having PTSD-like flashbacks to the United 'ovebooking' fiasco? Frown

-an admittedly well-meaning moron at the bus stop Smile

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
$$$$, that's why.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post