SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travel insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel insurance Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I recently booked a trip to the Dominican Republic and was looking at travel insurance. I’ve never used it before... what does everyone think, generally?

And the best quote so far is from “Trawick”. Any thoughts on that group?

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on the fine print of your policy. There can be vast differences in what is covered between policies.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the big print they give it to you, in the little print they take it away.

What are you looking to cover? Sickness precluding travel, Medical evacuation if are acutely ill?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just exercise a right to cancel due to changes in the trip. The company set my trip to Europe back until 2022. I use the insurance to get a refund. I have my doubts as to whether many airlines will be in business in 2022.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the fine print says it all.

I've never purchased it and I travel quite a bit and have for most of my life.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am asking more of my clients to purchase trip insurance to protect us both. My business is currently offering trip insurance through Global Rescue. There are different options, but the short story is you can get 75% back for any reason. Rates depend mostly on age, I can send more information to anyone interested. So far none of my guests have had to make a claim.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outfitter33:
I am asking more of my clients to purchase trip insurance to protect us both. My business is currently offering trip insurance through Global Rescue. There are different options, but the short story is you can get 75% back for any reason. Rates depend mostly on age, I can send more information to anyone interested. So far none of my guests have had to make a claim.

If you'd like to email me, I'd be happy to look at a quote. I'm not sure I need it yet, hence my question here today.

My email address is in the profile.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My wife and her traveling companion bot a BUNCH of money back last year due to a cruise that was cancelled due to COVID.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on what you're doing and whom you're traveling with, YOU may not have an incident but, if one of your companions has an accident which results in altering the trip or, outright cancellation having that covered in travel insurance lessens the unexpected financial impact. Lost/delayed luggage, flight delays or stolen possessions are likelier issues that travel insurance can help with. I've bought travel insurance a few times, all through AIG, avoid the offers from travel companies and the airlines as they aren't the carriers; also check your home owners policy and Medicare (if applicable).

I took my parents on a trip to Europe and being seniors, I made sure that their travel insurance had medical evacuation and repatriation coverage with their coverage. Plenty of stories of a wrong step, or a slip, resulting in a broken bone, hospitalization derailing the trip, or, something requiring a medical flight, and nurse attendant to accompanying the patient back to the US. A bit of insurance on the front-end can alleviate any fears or, mitigate any possible bad outcomes. They had a friend in the neighborhood do a big trip through France, the husband had some internal problem, requiring surgery and hospitalization for a week. Luckily they had bought travel medical insurance as it helped off-set the cancellation of the trip, his hospital and medical stay and her additional stay at the hotel while he recuperated.

Here's some links to read-up on, again, just depends on your trip and what possible issues can result.
A reminder about having proper travel insurance especiallly medical evacuation

Do I Need Travel Insurance

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We travel a ton as a family. Even through COVID, we have never bought travel insurance. We even went to the Dominican Republic in December right before Christmas for 10 nights. No issues there either.
Where in the DR are you going?

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you read about Ashley Judd's fall in the Congo, you might never leave home. Riding on the back of a motorcycle for five hours while your leg is broken in four places. No thanks

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
My wife and I travel out of the country at least once a year. Weather, sickness, injury, or just others’ stupidity can cause serious troubles.

Never had to use it yet, but it is just a bad roll of the dice away.

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I get it when traveling abroad. It's come in handy a couple times. I like the repatriation part mostly.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I never leave the country without it.

Usually go through Squaremouth.com. Super easy to use, highly rated carriers, excellent search filters, and immediate purchase, all online.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel a lot and in my business occasionally have to change flight times/days. I don't bother with travel insurance, but I do a search on Kayak or flycheap, find the carrier/time I want and book directly with them. Most charge a nominal fee if you need to change.

What you can do right now, is a few days before the flight tell them that you couldn't get a covid test or the results in time and they'll change the flight for free (if it's only a few days difference).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Always get it! I pretty sure AMEX cover you.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It saved us a ton of money last year. I am a believer.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Make sure the policy covers medical repatriation. I’ll spare you the details, but my father in law had a medical emergency in France. It took almost two months to get him healthy enough to travel home. He had travel insurance that would cover medical repatriation. If he hadn’t had it, it might have cost $60k to get him home.

I have used Seven Corners for Travel insurance ever since. It’s very affordable and their customer service has been great. I have never personally had to use it, but I know others who have. They were satisfied.

I loved the DR. Great people and great food. I hope you have a great trip.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
It's important to note that if you're on Medicare, your benefits don't extend beyond the U.S.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
It's important to note that if you're on Medicare, your benefits don't extend beyond the U.S.

For traditional Medicare, yes, its US only, however if you have one of the supplemental policies, I think its called Medigap(?) it'll depend on which plan you have. Plan C, G and N I think has a foreign medical care component, maybe others as well; I remember going through this with my parents, don't remember much details beyond that. Like most things these days, need to read the fine print and specifics.

Big thing I remember when a friend got injured in Australia (broken arm) was making sure we recorded dates, times, names of people spoken to, and saving all receipts. This was before cell phone cameras but, that'd have helped too. Nevertheless, his g/f saved all the info and made his claims process a whole lot easier.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post