SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What goes into your tuna salad sandwich?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What goes into your tuna salad sandwich? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
- Solid white Albacore
- Couple dollops of miracle whip
- Equal amount of Kraft tartar sauce
- couple squirts of siracha mayo

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also go for albacore with mayo and sweet pickle relish. However last September we caught 16 albacore on my little 23' boat, so have enough for a while.

When you catch your own, first spike it in the brain, then turn it upside down for 5 minutes with the gills cut. This will drain most of the blood out. Then pull the guts and gills out through the mouth, and put the fish in a slurry of saltwater and ice to cool it down asap.

The result is albacore 3x as good as the best you can buy in a store.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I keep it simple. Water packed good quality tuna, some mayo, S&P and if I'm preparing it and I'm in the mood, some finely chopped celery for a bit of crunch. I know a lot of people would say add some diced onions, but for me that kills the clean taste and easy to digest nature of my simple prep. To each his own. But, not opposed to a nice slice of cheese, then melted under the broiler.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
Large can of tuna or Costco canned chicken
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 medium sweet or dill pickles, chopped
5-6 hardboiled eggs, chopped

Add Mayo or Miracle Whip until you achieve the desired consistency; I prefer my "salad" drier over sloppy wet

Add salt and pepper to taste

This, except dill relish and Duke's mayo. Miracle Whip is repulsive and probably part of a Chinese Commie bio-terror plot.

I like to spread the tuna or chicken salad on toast, cover with a slice of tomato, cheese, and then melt under the broiler.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas here! So far I'm adding mustard, hard boiled egg and a slice of tomato. Don't know if it was mentioned but I think some radishes either diced and mixed in or thin slices laid on top might add some nice crunch texture and a sharp flavor bite. Thanks for all the tips!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
What goes into your tuna salad sandwich?

My teef. CHOMP!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do canned salmon instead of tuna. Mayo, spicy mustard, diced pickle or celery and tiny bit of pepper. Tomato and lettuce if it's in the house.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll eat and enjoy every type of tuna sandwich you guys posted my only add on is splashes of Louisiana style hot sauce, aka Texas Pete, Franks, Crystal etc.

I’m fixing a grilled cheese & Tuna as soon as I put a period on this.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Albacore, mayo, hamburger relish, chopped onion and a small dollop of mustard. On any bread that's available.

I might try using ranch dressing like someone suggested. Sounds good.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Almost everything already listed except hard boiled eggs(yuck)and the double yuck yuck known as miracle whip. Sometimes a light sprinkle of some cajun seasonings . Love me come tuna salad sammiches. ..................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1997 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I continue to go thru phases of taste-favorites & various enhancements. Most of the above I've tried. Whatever else you may hear, don't expect peanut butter 'n tuna to be as good as the purveyor of such information may suggest.

Currently I'm with the
"Tuna
Mayo
Bread" entry, adding just a bit of
Slap Yo Momma rectifying salt.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I am particularly fond of tuna sammiches. I make mine with

Starkist solid white tuna
Miracle Whip (because mayonnaise is White Death!)
Celery seed
Granualted garlic
Granulated onion
Grey Poupon
Badia Saizon Completa
Slabs of my wife's homemade white bread.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White tuna packed in water. Hellmann's mayo and sweet pickle relish. Celery chunks if I have any celery around. Stir it up and spread on bread, usually oatmeal. Fresh, coarse-ground black pepper on top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amals,

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a big eater of Tuna:

Solid White Albacore in water
Duke's Mayo
A bit of French Dressing or Cholua sauce
Chopped onion
Chopped celery
Black Pepper or Flat Iron Sweet Heat Pepper Flakes (tried today, didn't add enough)

I'll have to try relish, I've been using Famous Dave's in the kitchen.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Tuna, I prefer white, but will use what is available. Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, pickle relish.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Bumble Bee solid albacore
Hellmans mayo
Dehydrated onions or real ones depending on how lazy I am
Black pepper
McCormick broiled steak seasoning
Shredded mozzarella

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Helmann's Mayo
Chopped onion
Chopped celery
Two tablespoons of Tabasco
Top it with Swiss or American cheese

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My recipe is pretty much a combo of the above that was listed. I also toast my bread and have it open face and lay out a few pieces of jalepeno on top.

Posts: 5299 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Good quality tuna packed in water
Peeled and chopped apple
Fresh red seedless grapes
Hellmans
Chopped celery
Boiled Egg
Salt and pepper
Honey wheat bread or croissants

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Anything that includes good tuna in water, hard boiled egg, chopped celery, chopped onion, good mayo and mustard.

Posts: 4010 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post