SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What goes into your tuna salad sandwich?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What goes into your tuna salad sandwich? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I get a craving once or twice a year for a tuna fish sandwich. I prefer the Bumble Bee canned tuna packed in water. My go to is one can of tuna a couple dollops of Miracle Whip and some sweet pickle relish. Mix together and let it sit in the fridge for a hour or so.

Then slather it on thick on a nice homemade sandwich bun with a couple leaves of fresh iceberg lettuce on top and served with a side of kettle chips and maybe a pickle spear.
Anyone else have a recipe to share?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
When I do make it, solid white Albacore, Dukes mayo, dill relish,celery seed, dehydrated chopped onion and a pinch of sugar. I like to let it sit for a bit in fridge as well. What ever bread is around and some sort of lettuce

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Costco Albacore Tuna
Mayo - Dukes
Mustard - Yellow
Chopped Pickles- Dill
Hard Boiled Egg - Chopped up
Salt - fresh ground
Pepper - Fresh ground

Mix ingredients chill and serve on White Bread

make ya jump up and slap yo pappy...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Costco Albacore Tuna
Hellmans Mayo
Dijon mustard
celery salt
dried oregano and basil
minced onion
drained capers
Old Bay seasoning
dash of Worcestershire sauce

Mix and sprinkle paprika on top. Chill and serve on toasted English muffins upon which a slice of cheese has melted.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
HRK is largely correct - I will use relish in place of just Dill pickles, but the rest is pretty spot on. I will sometimes slice a good tomato, if available, to put on top.

Miracle Whip? You do realize that Miracle Whip was developed as a Yankee plot to punish Southerners during the Depression, don't you? Look it up, it's true Wink

My wife and I go round and round, I can't stand the taste of Miracle Whip, I think I have finally converted her to Duke's Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Tuna salad is the only thing I use Miracle Whip on and I usually have to buy it when needed. I've been going plain jane compared to some of you. I wondered about a bit of good mustard. I put a slice of good country deli cheddar cheese on once but the flavors just didn't work for me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Usually fairly decent canned tuna in water, drained. Dukes mayo. Maybe a whiff of cracked pepper. Served on sliced white bread, sometimes lightly toasted.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I normally make something like this:

Wild Planet Albacore Tuna
Duke's Mayo
Vidalia onion, finely diced (not too much)
Klaussen bread and butter pickes, finely diced (not too much)
Kikkoman or Yamasa soy sauce (just a dash)
Freshly ground black pepper

My tuna "salad" is very heavy on the tuna and mayo, and very light on the other ingredients. I usually eat it on Cuban bread from Publix or white bread (from the bread machine).

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We pretty much do it the way HRK does, except we use sweet pickles, and Miracle Whip.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large can of tuna or Costco canned chicken
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 medium sweet or dill pickles, chopped
5-6 hardboiled eggs, chopped

Add Mayo or Miracle Whip until you achieve the desired consistency; I prefer my "salad" drier over sloppy wet

Add salt and pepper to taste

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Whatever is in the pouch goes on the bread with mayo spread on the slices. Salt, pepper and maybe a slice of Provolone.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use light Ranch dressing instead of mayo;
One teaspoon of pickle relish;
Mustard;
One hard boiled egg mixed in.
Two cans of white albacore tuna.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kraft Sandwich spread
lettuce

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
2 cans American Tuna (https://americantuna.com/) -OR- Wild Planet Albacore (https://wildplanetfoods.com/product/albacore-wild-tuna/) with liquid from the cans (DO NOT DRAIN - these are not packed in water but packed in the tuna's own "juices" from cooking. Both brands strongly recommend NOT draining.), fork flaked + the following in amounts to suit personal tastes:

- chopped scallions
- diced celery
- diced English cucumber
- celery seed
- turmeric
- paprika
- parsley
- white pepper
- ground tellicherry black pepper
- ground Himalayan pink salt
- lemon juice
- sweet pickle relish
- mayonnaise (Blue Plate or Dukes)
- optional: diced Roma tomatoes (skip or use thick sliced hothouse or beefsteak tomatoes on sandwich)

Serve on whatever bread or bun you like, toasted or room temp, with lettuce. Black olives and radishes make good side garnishes. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
1. Tuna
2. Chopped onion to taste (I like a fair amount)
3. Chopped celery to taste (A little goes a long way for me)
4. Mayo of choice to taste

5. dash of celery salt
6. pepper, fresh ground to taste
7. a few splashes of Malt Vinegar

Optional depending on mood

8. a Dollop of good tartar sauce
9. minced pickled herring
10. fresh grated parmesan

Or for quick and easy...

Tuna
Mayo
Bread

I like both. Both are good for tuna melts with a good, sharp cheddar

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
2 cans of chunk light tuna in water, drained well
2 boiled eggs chopped
Heaping tablespoon of dill pickle relish
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of onion powder
Fresh ground black pepper
Tablespoon of yellow mustard
Mayo added until desired consistency reached

Pop in the fridge for an hour to chill

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
12 oz. can of tuna in water, drained (tuna water goes to the cat)
Green onion finely chopped (to taste, I like a lot)
Bell Pepper finely chopped, a lot
Celery, the inner stalks with leaves, a lot
Avocado, mashed, with lemon juice
Hellman's Mayonnaise, add sparingly
Freshly ground black pepper

On lightly toasted bread or rolled up in a flour tortilla

Using avocado reduces the amount of mayo required. I never worry much about the proportions, it always seems to come out fine.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2080 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Been eating a lot of tuna sandwiches since I had my sudo sist on my pancreas about a year ago.
My refined recip is;
can tuna on water(Prefer on oil but due to pancreas issue I stick with on water)
some dill hamburger slices chopped up with a little pickle juice,
Dehydrated onion flakes( the pickle juice starts to re-hydrate them)
a squirt of mustard
lots of real mayo
salt & pepper
On white bread/ makes two sandwich's, I eat one and refrigerate the other to eat the next day or later that day.
Sometimes I will add a packet of Arbys Horsyradish sauce when I have it for a different taste.
Like cold store bought baked beans with Gater Dill pickle kettle chips or HEB brand Salt & pepper kettle chips.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mustard, mayo, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped hard boiled eggs, pickle relish, tuna

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way back when, in the late 50's early 60's, Disneyland had a pirate ship in fantasyland. They served tuna sandwiches from a little restaurant on board the boat. As I recall, they had just some spices and mayo in the tuna salad, but they used hamburger buns and warmed them up in an oven, b.m. (before microwave). They were really good and I tried to have one every time I visited there. I lived three miles from the park back then and visited the park frequently.

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post