SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 months to live
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 months to live Login/Join 
posted
What's on you bucket list ? When would you tell your family ? Assumes grown children and one parent.
We could all unknowingly be in this situation.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’d tell em right away, so that we could make a bucket list together to make memories. I have an 11 yo and. 27 yo...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd tell the appropriate people of the situation. Have never even considered having a list of things to accomplish before I die, so bucket list is moot for me.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be boring. I would tell nobody and have no idea what to do for a bucket list

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was told I had 6 months left, I would immediately start getting rid of everything I own so as not to burden my kid with it. And make arrangements for my cat. No need for him to cash in with me.
As for telling anyone, probably not.
No bucket list stuff either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Is the question what's on our bucket list if we only had 6 months to live or would we tell our family that we are down to our last 6 months? Or maybe telling family we have 6 months left and would like to get input for the bucket list?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If I was told I had 6 months left, I would immediately start getting rid of everything I own so as not to burden my kid with it.

Same here, 'cept I'd be doing it for my wife.

Wouldn't be no foolin' around, either. I'd price everything so low I'd have to beat people off with a stick.

E.g.: Firearms, since this is a gun forum. I'd establish the average selling price on GB and put 'em up for sale here at 25% off, right out of the gate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't believe the first few replies, no bucket lists. I don't currently have one, but off the top of my head, I'd go see the pyramids, Taj Mahal, the great wall, old japanese and Chinese architecture, visit Israel. If I ended up with any time left I'd do a cruise through Alaska.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Nice click bait.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
At 67, I've seen a great deal of the world and done many things that are good memories. I've punched most all the tickets. Even some regrets I wouldn't want to repeat. No bucket list other than to get my affairs in order so my demise would be burdenless to anyone and everyone. Other than that, I'd just want to be as calm and comfortable as possible in my daily routine, and slip quietly and gently into the night when it's my time.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If I was told I had 6 months left, I would immediately start getting rid of everything I own so as not to burden my kid with it. And make arrangements for my cat. No need for him to cash in with me.
As for telling anyone, probably not.
No bucket list stuff either.

This plan works for me, as well.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My Bucket List includes the Pyramids and the Taj Mahal, but I doubt I'll ever get there. My only blood relatives are 2 nephews, so I'd probably tell them, as well as my 2 BFFs. And I'd begin divesting all my possessions to reduce the load on my Estate's Executor. Would also try to find somone to care for my 5 cats.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’d tell em right away, so that we could make a bucket list together to make memories. I have an 11 yo and. 27 yo...

I'm with you. Interestingly, I seem to be a year ahead of you...

I have two daughters - a 12 yo and a 28 yo.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I have joked that if I knew the world was ending at midnight, I might still do the dishes as I usually do.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thing I would do is get a second opinion.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I would work through my wife's or other family members' bucket list before my own.

Spending a bunch of my money now, to create an enjoyable memory for myself, to hold in my head until I die six months later seems like a waste of money. If I haven't already done it, it clearly wasn't a priority while I was alive.

I would see what my wife wanted to do. Find something on HER bucket list and do that with her. She'll benefit from the memories long after I'm dead.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Wife and I have no debt other than a few monthly things like telephone bills, etc. What would I do if told I had 6 months?

I am physically in pretty good shape so not much chance of getting crippled or helpless before I go. At least not right away.

I would like to go back to Idaho (where I was born and grew up) for one last elk hunt before I hit that long dark trail. Other than that I can't think of much.

From time to time I kind of think I would like to make a last trip to Germany where we still have family and some lifelong friends.

But giving how they have damaged the Germany I knew back then, doing so would most likely ruin those great memories of the 11 years I spent there. In-laws are limited to one brother in law and my wife spends a lot of time on the phone with him from time to time.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Oldbill, the title had me worried...glad this is only a hypothetical.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No bucket list for me, leave little or no debt, a comfortable exit & on to my next adventure.

I am prepared, as I’ve had heart issues the last couple years. “Party on dude.”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'd find a comfortable chair, a beautiful view, good company, and open the Pappy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post