SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alps helicopter rescue gone bad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alps helicopter rescue gone bad Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Everyone survived.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45327...trying-to-rescue-man

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
ouch!

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Some tricky flying at that altitude. So thin and if the wind kicks up probably easy to over correct

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very scary.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Was that gross pilot error or did the tail rotor go out?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That was so preventable it's sad.

This is why inexperienced pilots shouldn't do backcountry rescues.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The roads in that area are spectacular driving, lots of ascending switchbacks.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

No tail rotor, it's a NOTAR that uses air as anti-torque. It could be an MD-902:

https://www.mdhelicopters.com/md-902-explorer.html

Rotary wing experts feel free to correct me.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Shaka. When the walls fell.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

No tail rotor, I think that's a NOTAR that uses air as anti-torque. It could be an MD-902:

https://www.mdhelicopters.com/md-902-explorer.html

Rotary wing experts feel free to correct me.

Yeah, on closer observation, there is no traditional rotor. The question stands, though - did the pilot lose directional stability due to mechanical failure or pilot error. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Loss of tail rotor effectiveness.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...The question stands, though - did the pilot lose directional stability due to mechanical failure or pilot error. . .

He did not seem to be in control during the approach, and note that he almost lifted off while they were still loading the rescuee.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
From what I'm reading, that NOTAR system, while quieter, lacks the power of a traditional exposed tail rotor. In thin air, the aircraft would more easily experience loss of tail rotor authority. Maybe the only pilot error was that he was flying that type of heli there at all.

He may have been a pretty whizbang driver, actually. I'm guessing that when the bird started auguring toward blue sky, he had a split-second decision to try and recover the flight or set it into the side of the mountain as quickly and gently as possible. He may have saved lives, though not the craft, by doing what he did.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It appears the pilot started losing control as soon as the injured hiker was loaded on board. Maybe the additional weight caused the aircraft to become imbalanced and things cascaded from there.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Shaka. When the walls fell.

H&K-Guy

Darmok and Jallads sister under the bleachers...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Kopter is Kaput! Glad nobody was seriously injured. Odd things happen when the air gets thin.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Put a watermellon on the floor, then a 4x4 sheet of plywood, then a skateboard, and while performing ballet dance moves, have a drunk freind hop on your skateboard.

Yeah, it works a lot like that.

Was on a UH-1N and had someone "board" during about a 2 foot hover and even in a nice calm day, nowhere near gross, and proper weight and balance, we really got the rock on.

The AC was not a happy camper and uttered some military "Wartime Use Only" phraseology.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That looks like A-Star country to me. Lots of passenger seat time in helos, and for 20 years now, most high-elevation work for SAR and FF in both the Forest Service and NPS has been contracted to companies who fly A-Stars (now Airbus H-125).

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of Bell Helicopters out there under contract, but if the work includes high-elevation SAR and FF...A-Star

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
There was an Air Force search & rescue Blackhawk that crashed on Mt. Hood a while back. Similar, and no fatalities here either (a couple of the climbers they were trying to pick up had already died, but nobody was killed in the crash).

Link

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone survived.

That's pretty incredible.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post