SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baby becomes world's first to have gender marked ‘unknown'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baby becomes world's first to have gender marked ‘unknown' Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Gender” used to be used to refer to something that was arbitrarily designated as male or female like the gender of words in French or inanimate objects that fit together like plugs and sockets. “Sex” was the word to differentiate between the characteristics of living things.

Unfortunately, “sex” became a shortcut word to refer to sexual intercourse and therefore modern Victorians found it distasteful to use in its original sense and instead expanded the usage of “gender.” That allowed them to congratulate themselves on their sophistication and sensitivity in avoiding a loaded word.

In my own lifetime I have witnessed how the meanings of two perfectly good words have been warped into new applications.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Is the child an XX or XY? It's that simple.

Not quite. XXY. Wink

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The baby's parent, and the alien dude in the video afterwards, are truly fucking nuts. They are both either mentally ill from day 1, suffered some sort of traumatic event during childhood, or just generally had one hell of a messed up life prior to this point. Seems to me that Child Protective Services should be stepping in here.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There's a difference between "sex" and "gender", which neither the parents nor newspaper seem to understand.

No there isn't.

Sex is biological, Gender is societal. They are not separable, but they are two distinct things.

Gender as distinctly social rather than a synonym for sex and both being biologically based is only as it has been RE-defined by feminist, left-wing, gender benders. It is not supported by traditional definitions of even a few decade ago.

The Random House Dictionary of the English Language 1969, defines gender as "1. non germaine, relating to foreign language grammar of nouns 2. sex: she always minced her words when referring to persons of the feminine gender."

The World Book Dictionary 1976 defines gender "1. & 2. non germaine, relating to foreign language grammar of nouns 3. sex: the female gender"

The Oxford English Dictionary, Second Edition, 1989 provides the relevant definition, "1. & 2. non germaine, relating to foreign language grammar of nouns 3. sex, No mo gender been there but masculine, and femynyne, all remnaunte been no genders but of grace, in facultie of grammar. c1460"

The OED does note that under feminist usage gender is often intended to emphasize the social and cultural, as opposed to biological, distinction between the sexes.

This is comparable to when the GDCs RE-define racism as applying only to evil white people. I reject these leftist, self-serving RE-definitions utterly and completely. If we grant the left the authority to redefine the English language and meaning of words at whim, then we have already lost.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By this reasoning why not let the child decide race,nationality,gender,and also species.Maybe they decide they are an insect instead of a mammal.

Maybe reality does not exist anymore, and everyone does that which is right in their own mind.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Is the child an XX or XY? It's that simple.

Not quite. XXY. Wink

XYY is another, as are other, even less common variations.

I did a paper long ago on the “XYY Syndrome” that some attorneys attempted to turn into a defense by claiming that such “super males” were genetically driven to aggressiveness and irrational acts. I haven’t heard about anyone’s making that claim in decades, but who knows? It could make a comeback at any time.

As I recall from that research, the Y chromosome is always “dominant” in terms of sexual development, and if a person possesses one Y, he will usually have male genitals and generally male characteristics regardless of how many X chromosomes are in the genome.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
XYY is another, as are other, even less common variations.

I did a paper long ago on the “XYY Syndrome” that some attorneys attempted to turn into a defense by claiming that such “super males” were genetically driven to aggressiveness and irrational acts. I haven’t heard about anyone’s making that claim in decades, but who knows? It could make a comeback at any time.

IIRC, in his horror/sci-fi book The Bad Place, Dean Koontz uses XYY syndrome (and four undescended testicles) to explain the ultra violent rage of the antagonist Candy Pollard.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tall Pine
posted Hide Post
^here's another fun fact. In the sci-fi movie "Aliens III" the penal colony holding all the extremely violent offenders is designated a "YY Chromosome" facility at the very beginning of the movie. Their fictional way of linking YY to extremely violent (male) behavior.

Posts: 96 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
“When I was born, doctors looked at my genitals and made assumptions about who I would be, and those assignments followed me and followed my identification throughout my life.

“Those assumptions were incorrect, ...”

Ummm....no sweetheart, they weren't.

You have a uterus, a vagina, two X chromosomes, and you bore a child. Therefore, you are a female.

Yes, you are a female, and a batshit crazy one at that.

As someone else said recently, believing that gender is a choice but sexual orientation is genetic is all the evidence you need to determine that leftists are fucking nuts.
^^^Going, going, gone. Homerun!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would submit that, although this is true, it is a typical linguistic ploy used by the "liberal/Left-thinking" types to obfuscate the underlying reality.

I must jump in and immediately clarify that, although this was a reply to arcwelder's post, I am not implying that he is a "liberal/left-thinking" type. Just that it is the type of linguistic argument often used by them.
I can see where this could be misinterpreted by the way I wrote it and because it was in direct response to his post. pre-emptive apologies if I create any misunderstanding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crom,

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Look what happened to a boy named Sue!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
Sex is biological, Gender is societal. They are not separable, but they are two distinct things.

I would submit that, although this is true, it is a typical linguistic ploy used by the "liberal/Left-thinking" types to obfuscate the underlying reality.
Sex is the underlying reality. "Gender" are the things humans typically associate with the sex.
So, for example, you may be a man who likes to wear dresses, but you are actually still A MAN---who likes to wear dresses. The underlying reality has not changed. You can delude yourself all you want, but you can't force others to participate in your delusion.

Of course I am ignoring the small percentage of births that actually are sexually ambiguous, which, like many other conditions, is a BIRTH DEFECT. They need help and all the compassion and understanding we can give them. Most of these "gender-bender" nutcases do not fall into that category.

I agree with this. I disagree with Arc.

Gender is a definition not an attribute. Masculinity and femininity are attributes. You can not decide your sex, period. You can however decide to act masculine or feminine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Too weird for words.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 'gender' is the term we're going to use on public identification items, such as birth certificates, driver or concealed weapon licenses, and/or other such official identification, then that's the term which needs to refer to the biological stuff, not the mental/emotional stuff.

I don't care how you want to think of yourself, but I do care that your public records accurately describe your basic attributes including whether you're originally male or female.

If I can change such information on my public records, what else can they not prevent me from changing? If I'm 6'4", can I legally put down that I associate with being 3'6"? If my eyes are naturally brown, can I lawfully put "green" instead? If I'm of caucasian descent, can I apply for assistance programs and scholarships designated for people of other descent lawfully?

Where does the line get drawn? To me, this is exactly the same as allowing islamic women to wear full face covering on driver license ID photos. Unacceptable. It's a public record that needs to be based on reality, or based as closely in reality as possible.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two leading pediatric associations—the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Pediatric Endocrine Society—have followed in lockstep, endorsing the transition affirmation approach even as the latter organization concedes within its own guidelines that the transition-affirming protocol is based on low evidence.

They even admit that the only strong evidence regarding this approach is its potential health risks to children.

The transition-affirming view holds that children who “consistently and persistently insist” that they are not the gender associated with their biological sex are innately transgender.

(The fact that in normal life and in psychiatry, anyone who “consistently and persistently insists” on anything else contrary to physical reality is considered either confused or delusional is conveniently ignored.)

The transition-affirming protocol tells parents to treat their children as the gender they desire, and to place them on puberty blockers around age 11 or 12 if they are gender dysphoric.

If by age 16, the children still insist that they are trapped in the wrong body, they are placed on cross-sex hormones, and biological girls may obtain a double mastectomy.

I'm a pediatrician.How transgender ideology has infiltrated my field and produced large-scale child abuse

I encourage you to read the entire article, it's not too long.

Much of my career as a physician has been spent in developing and implementing practice guidelines based on the most sound scientific evidence (usually large-scale randomized clinical trials); this is now the standard in all of medicine. Except where political ideology intervenes as in this field.

But my horror at this isn't just professional, it's personal, as I have a niece who has decided her 6-year-old daughter is a "he" now.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The idiocy in this country has become unbounded.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When my youngest was six, he declared that he was a robot, or a dinosaur, or a robot dinosaur. Now he is 13 and wants to program robots. No word on the dinosaur part.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
If by age 16, the children still insist that they are trapped in the wrong body, they are placed on cross-sex hormones, and biological girls may obtain a double mastectomy.

I have an idea that is far better than abusing and mutilating children.

If by age 16, the children still insist that they are trapped in the wrong body, they are placed under psychiatric care.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:

Sex is the underlying reality. "Gender" are the things humans typically associate with the sex.
So, for example, you may be a man who likes to wear dresses, but you are actually still A MAN---who likes to wear dresses. The underlying reality has not changed. You can delude yourself all you want, but you can't force others to participate in your delusion.

Of course I am ignoring the small percentage of births that actually are sexually ambiguous, which, like many other conditions, is a BIRTH DEFECT. They need help and all the compassion and understanding we can give them. Most of these "gender-bender" nutcases do not fall into that category.

I agree with this. I disagree with Arc.

Gender is a definition not an attribute. Masculinity and femininity are attributes. You can not decide your sex, period. You can however decide to act masculine or feminine.

Both of you seem to be failing to understand that Arc was defending my statement (second post) when Fenris refuted it. You are actually both in agreement with the way Arc defines it but seem to have taken it out of context.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The entire lot of these people are bat shit crazy.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post