SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Building a clubhouse...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a clubhouse... Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Need a little advise. I'm building this for the kids, no plans just winging it. Wanted to pick your brains as to what else I can do to make it more safe and fun? I am going to add braces on the top and the opening on the bottom.

This was my jacuzzi concrete platform but it go old and we got rid of it. The electric box was connected to the jacuzzi but also connects to all the electricity in the back (present owners work). I'm going to build something around that to keep it away from the kids.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Handrails on the steps. Climbing wall on the outside, made with blocks of wood and holes cut into a wall of flooring boards. mulch below for soft landings. or Fireman's pole

You didn't say how old they are.

4" max openings in railings to keep little curious heads from getting stuck.

ladder up to a 2nd story / loft.

maybe a built in small table with bench.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
They are 10, 8, 7

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No advice, just had to say you’re a good Dad and that is a damn cool thing to do for your kids. Good luck! Cool

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Agree with cparktd.
Continuing with the 4" rule you should also put a riser on each step to keep them (or a leg) from going through the stairs.

Don't know how hot it gets there but maybe consider some sort of shade...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
A turret??? Big Grin

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Before i can help, a question or two:
1. Which wall will the big screen tv and surround sound mounted and what are the components and,
2, Will they be using cable, internet (or a game station), and/ or bluesy player for their signal source?

Also, will a mini fridge or kegerator be used?

Gots to has things in perspective to answer yours questions. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
A turret??? Big Grin

Oh, now you’re talking! Some sort of crow’s nest/lookout/cupola kinda thing on top would be ace.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks good, agree with climbing wall, maybe a slide, or rope to climb,

Since you have power access, power ports for USB charging and install an external hub for access to the internet for streaming should they decide to stay out there overnight,

perhaps some lighting for evening play and illumination of your greatness for guests for the fantastic parent you must be providing this.

Posts: 23415 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Secret entrance/exit underneath....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Cargo Climbing Net https://www.treehousesupplies....p/cargonet_no_el.htm

We called them ratlines.

Neat, and very tiring.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retractable Roman shades in those two overhead slots.

Tent platform sounds cool.

Things for imaginative play... pirate stuff, or castle stuff, etc.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Definitely a telescope on a gimbal mount. Appeal for all- playing pirate, looking at stars, spying on the neighborhood crush...
Big Grin

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Dave!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Can't tell from the perspective but I would make sure the electric line with the lights is far enough away that they can't jump from the structure and grab the electric on the way down.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will there be a pole?
http://www.treehouseaccessories.com/fire-pole/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Cool ideas.

From a structural engineer’s perspective, you might want to add a brace parallel to the front side, probably placed under the stair. The other sides appear to be stiffened by the infilled parts, but the front might be able to sway when the kids are on the platform being rambunctious or when the wind is blowing, etc. Such a brace wouldn’t need to go all the way across—-from the right side of the stair up to the left to the platform would probably be plenty.

Edit: Dave, just reread your OP and saw that you already planned to add the brace. Oops! Never mind!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm going to add a firepole. The wires are about 10 feet away, but they do look close though. Those ratlines look cool too!

God, Family, Country.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Put handholds, or a wooden ladder across the top. That way, they can go up the ratlines on one side, across the top, and down the pole on the other.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely put another support post under that front span. Other than that, looks great and you got lots of good ideas from others above.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post