SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for keeping dogs calm during July 4th celebrations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for keeping dogs calm during July 4th celebrations Login/Join 
Picture of drew3630
posted
Does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping dogs calm when fireworks start going off? One of my dogs is a little high strung and she gets really freaked out when the firework show begins
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Put on some Rock and Roll and turn it up.

It helps mask the noise.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I understand that it helps to wrap their chest snugly—there are even vests commercially made. Supposedly, that has a calming effect. You might try a bath towel and an Ace Bandage.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some owners are using CBD products. Some positive results. There was a story in the Chicago Tribune in today's paper.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Our old black lab slept through after he determined there were no ducks to retrieve. Our current dog doesn’t so we bring him inside put him in his pet porter and give him a bone to chew on. This seems to keep him calm.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My Shepards like MGD. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Start playing recordings of fire works now to desensitize him

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Our old black lab slept through after he determined there were no ducks to retrieve.

That made me smile. Labs are just great dogs.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those Thunder Coats for dogs. I'll just put that on her and turn the TV on loud and close all the windows. Hopefully that should keep her calm for the night

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thundershirt is a popular brand. I don't have a dog, and my cats don't seem to have a problem--probably because of all the gunfire they hear on my TV (I watch a lot of NCIS shows....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Take him go down in the basement, turn on the Tv, the fan and then have him load ammo for a few hours, that's what I do. Big Grin

(also how I do Halloween as well)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Wholetones music for dogs. We have a professional trainer friend who swears by it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Start playing recordings of fire works now to desensitize him

That won't work

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Does not work for people either. Creates more fear. You should be aware of pharmacological solutions or behavior therapy both of which work.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Wholetones music for dogs. We have a professional trainer friend who swears by it.

Thanks I will try that

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Monkey’s idea was good. At one time my dogs were used to me playing the Chicago Symphony’s 1812 Overture with howitzers, so mere fireworks didn’t much faze them. For that matter the finale pretty much took a small firefight out of the running for them.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Soliel. Obviously too late but next year.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the thundershirt. It sounds weird but works - at least for our dog.

Fireworks have been going off non-stop tonight and she is asleep next to my chair. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sons dog sat in my lap during fireworks. He seems to like me.

Sig P320
Sig P290

Posts: 1 | Location: Wayland, MI | Registered: July 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diphenhydramine 1mg per pound, sleep right thru it!

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post