SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, folks in Ann Arbor are all very angry at our Wolverines. We are pissed because the moment they run into some opposition, the damn team folds and wave the white flag. I think the problem is with the tone set by Coach Harbaugh. The fellow is more interested in joining them in participating is Black Lives Matter protests, rather than in coaching the players to be resilient and to fight thru adversities. Well, we were all excited after the Minnesota game, but, we didnot expect the loss yesterday at the Big House. I am not going to watch the loser players and their loser Coach any more. If the lose to the Spartans who are like a high school team, what would happen if the Wolverines had to play, say, teams like Alabama or Clemson? I am really pissed. As a former letterman at Michigan, I was never taught to just give up and wave the white flag at the first sign of adversity.

Sorry for the rant.
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. I cannot stand Harbaugh. I liked Schembechler. A quality coach at Michigan would be nice to see. Saban probably has some quality assistants somewhere.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
Sorry for the rant.
-Sid
No need to apologize. Good rant and UofM football earned it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I thought Harbaugh was going to be the answer, sadly he is not.

Like I said, it has been a tough couple of decades.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad is a UofM fan. When Harbaugh was hired one if my Dad’s first comments was [paraphrase] everywhere else he had coached he wore out his welcome in 3 or 4 seasons and everyone was glad to see him go. [/paraphrase]

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s me, because I’m a Husker fan. Maybe not. I think the B1G conference is in decline under Kevin Warren’s leadership. It seems to be breaking into factions. The love between Nebraska and Ohio State is a little weird, but mutual respect seems real and reminds me of that between the Huskers and Sooners from years long past. There is an undeniable lack of transparency coming from the Conference office; the repeated answer seems to be, “Because I said so, that’s why!”

What do those of you who follow other schools/teams in the Conference think of its leadership?

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmm.Last time Sparty beat Michigan was when Saban was coach,

Hmmm.. That is not quite accurate. 1999 was the last year Saban was Head Coach. I was at the game.

In the 20 years since then, the W/L ratio is 50/50

92 1999 East Lansing No. 11 Michigan State 34–31
93 2000 Ann Arbor No. 16 Michigan 14–0
94 2001 East Lansing Michigan State 26–24
95 2002 Ann Arbor No. 15 Michigan 49–3
96 2003 East Lansing No. 13 Michigan 27–20
97 2004 Ann Arbor No. 14 Michigan 45–373OT
98 2005 East Lansing Michigan 34–31OT
99 2006 Ann Arbor No. 6 Michigan 31–13
100 2007 East Lansing No. 14 Michigan 28–24
101 2008 Ann Arbor Michigan State 35–21
102 2009 East Lansing Michigan State 26–20OT
103 2010 Ann Arbor No. 17 Michigan State 34–17
104 2011 East Lansing No. 23 Michigan State 28–14
105 2012 Ann Arbor No. 23 Michigan 12–10
106 2013 East Lansing No. 22 Michigan State 29–6
107 2014 East Lansing No. 8 Michigan State 35–11
108 2015 Ann Arbor No. 7 Michigan State 27–23
109 2016 East Lansing No. 2 Michigan 32–23
110 2017 Ann Arbor Michigan State 14–10
111 2018 East Lansing No. 6 Michigan 21–7
112 2019 Ann Arbor No. 15 Michigan 44–10
113 2020 Ann Arbor Michigan State 27–24

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
the moment they run into some opposition, the damn team folds and wave the white flag. I think the problem is with the tone set by Coach Harbaugh. The fellow is more interested in joining them in participating is Black Lives Matter protests, rather than in coaching the players to be resilient and to fight thru adversities

Well said.

Michigan had a great program under Schembechler. Unfortunately Nothing since.

The BIG 10 is only running at about 50% these days that being Ohio State, Wisconsin. Penn State seems to be falling apart this year. Nebraska and Michigan are struggling to regain their once dominate programs.

Harbaugh's time is coming to an end. He'll probably get 2 more years due to COVID.

Nebraska's coach is in year 3, overall record of 9-16.

Wisconsin Strong team under their current coach.

Penn State, Seems like the wheels have fallen off the bus.

Michigan State, the perpetual other school.

Minnesota, P.J. Fleck has proven to be a good coach, hopefully, that program is on track

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember in Harbaugh's first year they were a crappy 4th down spot from beating OSU and being in the playoff. It's been downhill ever since.

It's as if the more players he develops, the worse the team becomes.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Michigan's football program. Well, I talk to a lot of former Michigan athletes regularly. And these guys and gals all upset at how badly the team seems to be doing. They get good high school athletes, but, dont know what Harbaugh and his team of asst. coaches are doing, but, seems the players dont seem to develop and blossom into great performers on when it really matters, that is they dont seem to perform in a game situation.
He has the team travel to Normandy and to visit the Pope, and South Africa, to widen the player's horizons, but, instead of concentrating on the actual skills they need to be better football players who do well in game situations, and who dont run up the white flag, whenever the opponent scores.
It is all very well that he supports his players in the SJW protests, actually even joins Black Lives Matter sponsored protests, to prove how much he 'is down with the brother's", all the while he seems to be neglecting that the players need to block and tackle well, and not miss their assignments, and the players are not prepared such that they throw up the white flag and surrender at the slightest hint od good opposition.
I knew Coach Schembechler and Coach Carr who were good and very successful coaches at Michigan, and knowing both guys, I know that they would have not let the football program go the way Harbaugh has let it go. A bunch of SJWs, and soy-boi's is what the Michigan team seems to have become.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do those of you who follow other schools/teams in the Conference think of its leadership?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It sucks. When I was a kid growing up in the Midwest it was something. Warren needs to go. My team is an Independent although all family members except me are graduates of Big Ten programs.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, Todd, now Wisconsin’s game with Purdue is cancelled. It appears Wisconsin has not crossed the Conference’s “red/red” threshold requiring a shutdown, and like the Nebraska game, the decision was made by Alvarez and the university president.

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my viewpoint it all boils down to frequent testing, and adherence to the protocols. Notre Dame slipped up when they had a team meal. A few days later one of the players threw up on the sideline. They figured it was dehydration. The player tested positive for COVID. Clemson has had its problems but have been able to contain it, although Trevor Lawrence missed last week and will miss the Notre Dame game. You have to wonder how some programs have been able to contain things. It is more than a matter of luck. If I recall correctly the Big Ten has MORE requirements than other conferences. At least we are having a college football season of sorts.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Well, Todd, now Wisconsin’s game with Purdue is cancelled. It appears Wisconsin has not crossed the Conference’s “red/red” threshold requiring a shutdown, and like the Nebraska game, the decision was made by Alvarez and the university president.
I've been avoiding the television and news all day so your post was news to me. Obviously disappointed.

Big Ten teams have to play 6 games to be Big Ten Championship eligible (they do have a contingency in case that's not possible league wide, and in that case have to be within 2 games of average). WI is certainly in jeopardy of being ineligible and Purdue already has 1 game lead on them. If NWU wins this weekend, they'll have a 1 game lead on Purdue and 2 game lead on WI.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 3 (all times Central Time):
  • #23 UofM at #13 IU at 11:00 on FS1 - The Wolverines are 3.5 point favorites. Likely the best game in the Big Ten today. Both games give up a lot of points per game (25.5 and 28 respectively) and yards per game (387 and 367 repectively). Turnovers will be key and so will morale. I'm going with IU to pull off the upset.
  • NE at NWU at 11:00 on BTN - The Wildcats are 3.5 point favorites. The Wildcats remain undefeated by winning and covering.
  • MSU at IA at 11:00 on ESPN - The Hawkeyes are 5.5 point favorites. 0 and 2 Hawkeyes woes continue as MSU pulls off the upset.
  • MD at PSU at 2:30 on BTN - The Nittany Lions are 27 point favorites. Good tune up game for PSU after a disastrous 0 and 2 start. They key here will be getting off to a quick start, but don't succomb to putting in a prevent defense and giving MD's offense confidence. PSU wins but fails to cover.
  • MN at IL at 2:30 on BTN - The Golden Gophers are 7 point favorites. Never would've thought that MN would be 0 and 2 going into this game. PJ Fleck and crew turns it around this week by winning and covering.
  • Rutgers at #3 tOSU at 6:30 on BTN - The Buckeyes are 38.5 point favorites. The Buckeyes win but fail to cover the monster spread.

WI - BTN reporting that their 27 cases reported on Tuesday has fallen to 14 and only 2 new positive tests this week.

Purdue - the silver lining in the cancellation is they get another week to prepare for the co-leader of the Big Ten West. 2 weeks ago, I didn't think there was a path to the Big Ten Championship, and as of right now they control their own destiny.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    [quote]MSU at IA at 11:00 on ESPN - The Hawkeyes are 5.5 point favorites. 0 and 2 Hawkeyes woes continue as MSU pulls off the upset
    ^[/quote
    ^^^^^^^
    Last I looked Iowa up 35. It shows just how poorly Michigan played last week.

posted Hide Post
    Well the Wolverines managed to lose in a poorly played game, and managed to lose to Indiana U in Bloomington today!!!!! FrownFrown The calls by fans calling of Coach Harbaugh's firing are growing louder and louder.

posted Hide Post
    As a loyal Michigan fan, I hope that Coach Harbaugh is allowed to "retire" and go to other freshpastures. And then, Michigan ought to hire Urban Meyer. Coach Meyer is not coaching anywhere, and I bet if given a sweet deal, he would come and coach the Wolverines. At least that is what I can fervently hope for!!! SmileSmileSmile

Hope all of you, my friends have a wonderful Sunday!!!!!
    -Sid

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 3 Wrap-up:
  • Since Purdue was off and it was a beautiful day in the high 80s, I was outdoors all day enjoying the weather. I only watched a few minutes of live Big Ten football while eating a late lunch.
  • #23 UofM at #13 IU at 11:00 on FS1 - As predicted, IU pulled off the upset and turnovers were in IU's favor (turned the ball over 0 times, but had 2 INTs and converted 1 to a TD and the other to stop UofM's 4th quarter comeback). Other than INTs, they were a wash on passing, but rushing was a differentiator with IU having a 110 yard and 2 TD advantage. IU's head coach was a senior in high school the last time IU beat UofM.
  • NE at NWU at 11:00 on BTN - As predicted, the Wildcats won and covered and they are now in the catbird seat in the Big Ten West. Replay looks like it was a tale of quarters where NWU dominated the 1st, 3rd, and 4th and NE the 2nd. Nobody on NWU had a statistically significant game, and NWU's defense bent (i.e. gave up a lot of yards) but didn't break (i.e. 2 FGs and 1 TD).
  • MSU at IA at 11:00 on ESPN - I was very, very wrong on MSU pulling off the upset. IA dominated every aspect of this game. You know it's bad when the losing team's punter(s) put up 400+ yards.
  • MD at PSU at 2:30 on BTN - I was wrong on the Nittany Lions winning but correct on failing to cover. This game was a bigger shock to me than IU's game or IA's game. WTF PSU? It was actually more lopsided than the final score as MD was up 28-7 at half and gave up 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th.
  • MN at IL at 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, the Golden Gophers won and covered. I had to chuckle while watching BTN's Final Drive when PJ Fleck came on and said that Friday night he read the team a children's potty training book and told them to [paraphrase] turn all of the +*&^ into fertilizer and grow something.[/paraphrase] MN had a dominant rushing attack which translated to a bunch of points and time of possession advantage (37.5 minutes vs 22.5).
  • Rutgers at #3 tOSU at 6:30 on BTN - As predicted, the Buckeyes won but failed to cover the monster spread. Rutgers is much better than past season and put up the most points of the season on the Buckeyes. Still a dominant performance by tOSU.

Kudos:
  • IU's QB Penix Jr - 30 completions for 342 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.
  • IU's O-line - The hogs did a better job of pass protection (0 sacks) and better job of run protection (118 yards rushing for 2 TDs) than their opponent.
  • IU's Defense - 2 key INTs, shutdown the run to 13 yards and 0 TDs, had a ton of pressure on the QB (3 sacks, 5 hurries), and 5 tackles for loss.
  • IA RB Goodson - 14 carries for 113 yards and 2 TDs
  • IA o-line - paved the way for 226 yards rushing, 4 rushing TDs, 5.5 yards per carry, and on the passing front only gave up 1 sack and 2 hurries.
  • IA Defense - 3 INTs, 2 sacks, 5 QB hurries, 7 tackles for loss, only gave up 59 yards rushing, and MSU's 227 yards passing were meaningless.
  • MD Defense - 7 sacks, 3 QB hurries, 9 tackles for loss, 2 INTs, and a fumble recovery.
  • MD QB Tagovailoa - 18 completions for 282 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs.
  • MD WR Jarrett - 5 receptions for 144 yards and 2 TDs (42 yards and 62 yards).
  • MN's o-line. The big guys dominated the line of scrimmage to the tune of 325 yards rushing, 5 TDs, and 6.9 yards per carry.
  • MN's RB Ibrahim - 30 carries for 224 yards (7.5 yards per carry), 4 TDs. He even averaged 15.5 yards per catch. His only blemish was fumbling.
  • MN's Defense - they bounced back from last week's disastrous performance and only allowed 6 receptions, 181 yards rushing, had 4 sacks, 3 QB hurries, and 4 tackles for loss.
  • tOSU QB Fields - polished his Heisman resume with 24 completions for 314 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, a rushing TD, and 0 fumbles. For the season, he has 11 passing TDs, only 11 incomplete passes, 0 INTs, and 908 yards.

•  
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Ohio State’s game with Maryland cancelled because of the number of COVID cases the Terps have.