SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
The Big Ten Season finally begins on Friday, Oct 23rd, so it’s time for the annual Sigforum Big Ten football thread.

Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

Season Predictions:
  • The pundits are predicting my beloved Boilermakers to finish 5th (out of 7) in the Big Ten West. I'm looking forward to team's having to decide whether to double cover Rondale Moore or David Bell. It sucks that our head coach has COVID and will be out for the first game.
  • The December 12 tOSU at UofM match-up will be meaningless as UoM would only open the door for PSU.
  • The Badgers and Wolverines will be in the Big Ten Championship, and the Buckeyes will win.

Goodish natured ribbing:
  • {new find for 2019} Not So Pure Michigan: UofM, The Harbaugh Edition

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h82kFMEvfZM
  • Not So Pure Michigan: UofM Football

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/01Kz6Rw99Kk
  • Not So Pure Michigan: Michigan State Football

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VZNG802zfZ4
  • Not So Pure Michigan: Wisconsin and Ohio

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ae_SxDnD2W4
  • Q: If you have a car containing a Buckeyes running back, a Buckeyes linebacker, and a Buckeyes coach, who is driving the car?
    A: The cop. In all seriousness, in order to be a contender for the playoffs the Buckeyes need to keep their players (and coaches) out of handcuffs and in the classroom.

2020-2021 Schedule:

EDIT NOTES:
    1. Every week I change the title to give page # for this week's discussion of the games.
    Original first post of thread
    Well guys, I predict this is going to be our briefest Big Ten football thread ever.

Last Thursday, Purdue's stand-out junior WR Rondale Moore announced he was sitting out the season and preparing for the NFL. I was impressed with the non-football adder:
    quote:
    I am on track to complete by degree in 2.5 years, this December.
    I hadn't been paying attention until then, but it turns out he was the fifth Big Ten player to make the decision.

However, it looks like it's all moot as the Dan Patrick show shared this morning that the Big Ten will cancel their season tomorrow. Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I talked to one of the Coaches on Michigan's football team last night. He was absolutely non-committal. I am listening to the local sports radio station, WTKA 1050AM, and this is the topic they have been discussing since 6am, that the BIG-10 is canceling its entire fall football season.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sidss1,

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Kuisis
    posted Hide Post
    We are, Penn State, just not this season.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    And what I think is weird is that we are having high school football in Ohio this year. Only 6 games and everyone qualifies for the playoffs. Haven't read yet whether or not spectators will be allowed. It's my understanding players must wear masks on the sidelines.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Cover3 podcast yesterday feinted that they were going to do their Big-10 win totals picks. HA!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Krazeehorse...

My nephew is a senior in high school and a touted division 1 recruit.

They are practicing in pads now. However, they all suspect that the season will be moved to the spring.

DeWine and the OHSAA has until August 23 to cancel the fall season. They all believe that with the MAC and BIG10 (and others) cancelling, DeWorthless (as I like to call him) will not allow the fall sports season to occur.

My nephew will be limited to 7 games (8 teams in his athletic conference) and then the playoffs.

Sorry for the thread drift...

The BIG10 is a bunch of pussies just like the SEC says they are... And I am a die-hard Buckeyes fan

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Well, it's official the Big Ten's commissioners cancelled it:
    quote:
    Big Ten Statement on 2020-21 Fall Season

ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference announced the postponement of the 2020-21 fall sports season, including all regular-season contests and Big Ten Championships and Tournaments, due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In making its decision, which was based on multiple factors, the Big Ten Conference relied on the medical advice and counsel of the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee.

“Our primary responsibility is to make the best possible decisions in the interest of our students, faculty and staff,” said Morton Schapiro, Chair of the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors and Northwestern University President.

“The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” said Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.

“We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult. While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The fall sports included in this announcement are men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball. The Big Ten Conference will continue to evaluate a number of options regarding these sports, including the possibility of competition in the spring. Decisions regarding winter and spring sports will also continue to be evaluated.

The Big Ten Conference is proud of its 14 world-class research institutions and has leveraged their resources and expertise to address this pandemic over the past five months. The Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee have engaged in extensive research and sharing of materials and conversations with federal, state and local government agencies, and professional and international sports organizations in order to track and better understand the daily updates surrounding this pandemic. Their advice and counsel have been invaluable as they have worked tirelessly over the past several months in their efforts to create and maintain a safe environment for athletics.

The Big Ten Conference will continue to work with medical experts and governmental authorities to gather additional information, evaluate emerging data and technologies, and monitor developments regarding the pandemic to make the best decisions possible for the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I can't even say I'm mad right now, I'm more depressed than anything.
    I was seriously looking forward to Big10 football and especially the Buckeyes chances.
    This year is a total shit show.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Well, that didn't take long. Purdue athletics is already asking for alumni money to make up for the athletic budget shortfall created by the decision.

The guy behind the guy
    Picture of esdunbar
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Well, that didn't take long. Purdue athletics is already asking for alumni money to make up for the athletic budget shortfall created by the decision.

Yep, I’m down for donating. Boiler Up!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Equal Opportunity Mocker
    Picture of slabsides45
    posted Hide Post
    As an SEC guy, may I just poke my head in to say I hate this (almost) as much as y'all, because after the Michigan/OSU head coaches dust-up, I want to see that next game!!

Suspect we will all see every other conference follow suit.... Frown

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
    -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of craigcpa
    posted Hide Post
    Par for the season; and the dominoes have started with the Pac-12 just behind, and I see the ACC soon to follow. I’m guessing the SEC will be last.

But I’m wondering if a Springtime season may be added for the Fall sports: Mini-schedule of 4-team sub-conference, played each weekend of February, followed by a two weekend semi and final to determine a Conference Champion? This would also allow basketball season to start mid-January and have an « April-madness » conclusion.

==========================================
    Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by slabsides45:
    ...because after the Michigan/OSU head coaches dust-up, I want to see that next game!!
    Me too! I really wanted to see if the Buckeyes could run up 100 on Wolverines.

posted Hide Post
    My alma mater estimates thatthe cancellation of two home games will produce a net revenue loss for the city alone at 102 million. Since football and basketball are the main revenue sources look for some deep cuts in all the other athletic sports. I guess parents will pick up the shortfall with increased tuition next year. I dont think the booster clubs are going to do it.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    The B1G is a disaster and spring football isn’t happening.

I believe that these players deserve to see the medical evidence that drove this decision...how and why is it different from what other conferences are hearing?
    - Joel Klatt, Fox Sports

One college town business owner stated that he makes about 50 times more on the 7 game day Saturdays than a typical weekday. “It’s the money that allows us to make it through the rest of the year.”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    MY guess is they are afraid of lawsuits.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    The B1G is a disaster and spring football isn’t happening.

I believe that these players deserve to see the medical evidence that drove this decision...how and why is it different from what other conferences are hearing?
    - Joel Klatt, Fox Sports

This report seems to be what's driving conference commissioners and school presidents to punt on the Fall season and attempt to wait it out.

Pac12 just cancelled their season, this is after the commissioner had a disastrous meeting with 'concerned players' in which he apparently got worked-up and frustrated. A guy earning $5+m/year, got bent out of shape by a bunch of 19-20 year olds on a video conference call Roll Eyes

In many ways, I'm ok without any ball, perhaps this is the reset that's needed for college football and its relation with university's.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    bigger government
    = smaller citizen
    Picture of Veeper
    posted Hide Post
    Did I read right that for the state of Wisconsin alone, this a $600m negative impact?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    Late breaking news and no verification yet, but it seems the Big 12 is going to press ahead with the Fall Season.

Of course this could very well change in the very near future.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Did I read right that for the state of Wisconsin alone, this a $600m negative impact?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am sure the ND matchup at Lambeau was a sellout. Half that money is a loss in beer sales.LOL