SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Cosell got on my nerves back in the day, but never as much as Kirk. Something about him I guess. I can easily turn off the sound so I have a choice. If we are honest with ourselves, we all would like certain people to not provide "color commentary" along with our sporting events. I remember when they just announced the game. I liked that.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember when they just announced the game. I liked that.

While watching a replay of a circa early 80's Iron Bowl last week, Deniseair observed exactly the same thing. That's what they used to do. Of course if their view of the game was as shitty as the recording, that's all they had time for after sorting that out.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
ESPN live streaming actually has a view that comes from the stadium with NO commentary. I enjoy that. The Skycam is pretty cool too as it is shot from behind the quarterback and you can see him read the defense. The bobblehead announcers provide little in the way of game enhancement. My alma mater only recently got a Jumbotron.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 7 Wrap-up:
  • #4 tOSU @ MSU at 11:00 on ABC - As expected, Buckeyes won and covered in a very lopsided game.
  • NE @ Purdue at 11:00 on BTN - I was very wrong on winner and spread. The first 6 minutes was absolutely disgusting with a blocked punt leading to NE having a 1 yard TD, then a short line drive punt where the returner returned it 75% of the distance of the punt, then giving up a TD on a 17 yard TD drive, then a 26 yard punt which NE converted to a FG. More poor coaching was evident in all of the penalties (e.g. 2nd and 21 incompletion but Purdue DB takes 3 steps and delivers a cheap shot leading to a 1st down). Not all of it was poor prep and coaching as NE came to play and they held us to -2 yards rushing and only gave up 1 big play to Bell and Moore despite 23 combined catches.
  • PSU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on FS1 - I was very wrong on winner and spread. PSU jumped on the scoreboard first and never looked back. They really built on last week's win and played well on both sides of the ball. Nobody had a statistically significant week on offense for PSU, but the important thing is they played a cohesive unit.
  • #12 IU @ #16 WI at 2:30 on ABC - I was incorrect on winner and spread. I knew the team had a lot of heart, but I had no idea that IU had a 4 star QB recruit sitting on the bench backing up Pennix Jr. It was largely a defensive battle, and the difference is IU scored 2 TDs but WI scored 2 FGs.
  • #19 IA @ IL WI at 2:30 on FS1 - I was actually correct on Hawkeyes winning and covering (by a half point). The Hawkeyes have turned around their 0-2 start by having 5 straight wins. They have a well balanced offense that is scoring more points (37 PPG in win streak vs 20 ppg in losing streak) and a defense that is getting stingier (15 ppg in win streak vs 23 ppg in losing streak).

Kudos:
  • tOSU's team and asst coaches - Head coach and 17 scholarship athletes (including 3 staring o-line) were out with COVID. Everyone stepped up and not just got by they dominated.
  • tOSU's QB Fields - the young man bounced back from the worst game in 1.5 years to throw 17 completions for 199 yards and 2 TD (0) INT. On top of that, he had 13 rushes for 104 yards and 2 rushing TDs (0 Fumbles). It doesn't show up in stats, but the back-up center was inconsistent in the shotgun and Fields turned many crappy snaps into positive plays without error.
  • tOSU's defense - had a first half shutout, gave up 1 TD in 3rd quarter, and a FG in 4th quarter (offense gave up a safety). They did this by 2 INTs (1 pick 6), 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks, holding MSU to 180 yards passing and 81 yards rushing.
  • NE's QB Martinez - 23 completions for 242 yards and a TD (0 INT) plus 13 rushes for 45 yards and 2 TD.
  • NE special teams - 1 blocked punt, averaged 33 yards on punt returns, and averaged 19 yards on kick returns. On the other side, they held Purdon't to 6 yards average on punt returns. Only sore spot was they gave up 29 yards per kick return (0 TDs thought).
  • NE offensive line - paved the way for 111 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs, and gave the QBs plenty of time (1 sack, 0 hurries) to throw for 253 yards and a passing TD.
  • PSU for becoming the 8th school in NCAA history to achieve 900 program wins.
  • PSU defense - pitched a shutout for 40 minutes. Vedral is a decent passer and they held him to 17 completions for 113 yards and a TD, and Melton is a very good receiver and they held him to 7 receptions for 38 yards and a TD (3 yarder). Rutgers is a good rushing team and they held them to 83 yards and 0 TDs. They did this by putting lots of pressure on the QB (3 sacks, 3 hurries), 6 tackles for loss, and stripping away a fumble.
  • IU back-up QB Tuttle - young man had his first start and he managed the game very well and didn't force anything (e.g. threw the ball away instead of risking an INT) against a tough D. Stats aren't huge, but it was a solid 13 completions for 130 yards and 2 TDs (0 INTs).
  • IU defense - they bent but didn't break. They had 3 sacks and forced both an INT and a fumble, but more importantly giving up 202 yards passing and 140 yards rushing only resulted in 2 FGs. That was key as their O only managed 14 points.
  • IA's QB Petras - threw for 18 completions resulting in 220 yards and 3 TDs (0 INTs, 0 Fumbles). 12.2 yards per completion is good.
  • IA's offensive line - gave the QB plenty of time to throw 3 TDs (2 sacks, 0 hurries) and opened holes to the tune of 5.4 ypc and a rushing TD.
  • IA's defense - they shutdown both the run and the QB scrambles which is IL's bread and butter. Any time you can force IL to pass you usually win. Only real black eyes were getting burnt for a 24 yard TD pass and 29 yard TD pass (this one was garbage time with 24 seconds left leading 35-14).

Big Ten Championship Outlook:
  • West - Congrats to NWU. Due to their week 2 victory against IA they hold the tie-breaker even if they lose this week and IA wins.
  • East - the tOSU and UofM needs to be played for tOSU to be eligible for the Big Ten Championship. UofM didn't play this weekend so who knows if they nipped COVID in the bud in 1-week like tOSU or it'll take 2-weeks like it did for many Big Ten teams. If the game doesn't occur, IU will represent the East, but hopefully the Big Ten will schedule a 2nd game with tOSU playing IA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    PurDon't rises up!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Wonder why their 3rd string punter was punting?

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Well, putting in their regular punter wasn't any better with the low punt and long return.

6 minutes into the game and NE has 2 TDs, but only 18 yards of offense.

On top of all of that, Rondale Moore just jogged off the field and headed to the locker room.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I'm also going to add a prediction for TMats - I think your opponent holding streak goes out the window this week as Purdue is bad enough to need to hold the Cornhuskers.Big Grin
    Not even 10 minutes into the game and Purdue already has an offensive holding penalty

Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    I'm also going to add a prediction for TMats - I think your opponent holding streak goes out the window this week as Purdue is bad enough to need to hold the Cornhuskers.Big Grin
    Not even 10 minutes into the game and Purdue already has an offensive holding penalty

Now two calls, but then it’s tough to keep the flag in your pocket when the O-lineman is beaten and tackles the pass rusher. Cool

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I had typed up a long post, and hit submit but it didn't post for some reason. I'm not going to repeat how bad my predictions were, how disgusted I am with Purdue football, or all of the kudos. Only 2 kudos stand out:
  • Congrats to PSU for becoming the 8th NCAAF program to achieve 900 wins.
  • Congrats to IU's back-up QB for delivering a solid performance and helping deliver the win (big help from their D who only gave up 6 points).

Big Ten Championship Outlook:
  • East - NWU has clinched. They beat IA in week 2 so it doesn't matter if they win or lose next weekend.
  • West - This one is up in the air and neither tOSU nor IU control their own destiny. Basically it comes down to whether or not the tOSU and UofM game occurs. Did UofM sitting out last weekend nip COVID in the bud in a week like it did for tOSU or will they sit out 2 weeks like numerous Big Ten teams? If the game occurs, tOSU goes to the Big Ten Championship. If the game doesn't occur, IU goes to the Big Ten Championship. Additionally, there is speculation that Big Ten AG's could agree to waive the 6 game rule and allow tOSU to play. If not, I hope they schedule a 2nd game on the 19th and tOSU plays IA.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    4-H Shooting
    Sports Instructor
    Picture of Zecpull
    posted Hide Post
    Rumors are flying that Rutgers may switch their game with Maryland to Nebraska. Leaving a possible Tosu and Maryland make up game.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
    > because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
    NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
    Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

^^^^^^
    The blame lies with Kevin Warren. If it were not for Notre Dame and the ACC there would not have been a season at all.

Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    quote:

^^^^^^
    The blame lies with Kevin Warren. If it were not for Notre Dame and the ACC there would not have been a season at all.

Explain, please

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Warren was the guy who wanted to cancel the Big Ten season and put in all kinds of ridiculous safeguards despite his lack of knowledge. (He has a law degree]

posted Hide Post
    ESPN even thanked ND on air for there being a season as they pressed on. They have had a nine game season and would have had ten game season except ACC cancelled last two games for both Clemson and Notre Dame. Frankly, these two teams did a much better job of managing the COVID problem than OSU and Michigan.

Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I understand that Warren did, in fact, cancel the season. Your post is the first I’ve seen giving credit to ND and the ACC conference for the B1G’s season, rather than Nebraska and Ohio State.

posted Hide Post
    Did Notre Dame save the CFB season? College GameDay 'thanks' Irish for doing so
    SDS Staff | 3 months ago
    Did Notre Dame save the college football season this fall?

During College GameDay, ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski produced a segment thanking the Fighting Irish for essentially saving the fall season. The rationale behind such a ‘thank you’ is that by joining the ACC, Notre Dame helped push the league into playing. Remember, it’s unlikely the SEC and Big 12 would play without the ACC doing so.

When the Big Ten and the Pac-12 postponed the season due to “uncertainties” surrounding the coronavirus, the 2 leagues thought the other 3 would follow suit. Well, they thought wrong, and the Big Ten is a borderline PR nightmare right now.

By Notre Dame hanging tight and wanting to play a season, it gave the ACC even more momentum to hold strong, which in turn game the SEC and Big 12 more momentum to play.

Here’s the segment and link to the thank you:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth....re-dame-thanks-2020/

Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I haven’t watched GameDay all season; I’m not on board with their “thanks.” Somehow, the SEC and Big 12 hanging on the actions of the ACC seems a stretch, even with ND in the conference.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    I haven’t watched GameDay all season; I’m not on board with their “thanks.” Somehow, the SEC and Big 12 hanging on the actions of the ACC seems a stretch, even with ND in the conference.
    +1

Nebraska, Ohio State, and several outspoken players on other teams saved the Big Ten season. Going to have to bring something stronger than the weak suace in the Saturday Down South SEC fanboy op ed piece to change my mind.