SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Related Apps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Related Apps Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
I just bought a new Android phone. Any suggestions for good gun related apps?

I would love to find good ones for...
- Shot timer
- Gun Inventory, plus usage/reliability records
- Ammo Inventory, plus usage/reliability records
- Field stripping, cleaning and operation of different models
- NFA doc management, particularly for electronically filed paperwork/stamps
- Other ideas?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you travel and have CCW

https://play.google.com/store/...ls?id=ryan.ccw&hl=en

CCW – Concealed Carry 50 State

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Find a bullet drop calculator app. I'm on iPhone and use BulletDrop Plus. I think it was about $3 for the plus version. I'm not sure there is an Android version but if not there are plenty of others. Some free (Winchester) and some cost a few bucks.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
myArmsCache for gun and inventory. You can upload pics of guns and then transfer and open info in other formats

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with RangeLog. - RangeLog Website

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really want a gun inventory on your phone? Just a thought.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
App to keep track of reloading supplies and ammunition (both reloaded and commercial).

https://play.google.com/store/...s.reloadersinventory

Full disclosure: I wrote it.

I'm also in the process of writing one for CCW laws for interstate travel. It will be $.99, but it won't be out for at least a couple months.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a shot timer app.

Any good ones? I see plenty are available, but I hate to download and try them all. So I thought I'd ask here......

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10901 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot timers-
I had surefire on my last phone, and was pleased with it. Never upgraded it to my current one.

I have "free shot timer" by innapps, so far- no complaints. A friend has "range tech" and he's really happy with it.

I also have "Mil-Dot Rangefinder" for cheating on the rifle scope (much easier than doing the math in my head). Has all of the inputs you want for reticle, focal plane, target size, subtension displays... There's also an angle calculator.

I occasionally use "time on target- survival mode". It has a handful of standard rifle, pistol and rifle & pistol qualification times.
Plug in your distance of the range you're shooting on, if you're using just a rifle, just a pistol or both, then the course of fire you want to shoot: fbi course of fire, USMC course of fire, Special Forces course of fire, SEAL course of fire.... Hit "start" and wait for the beep....

As far as weapons inventory, I just used a regular spread sheet-
Manufacturers name, model, barrel length, finish, serial number

Field stripping, I'd recommend YouTube. Just type in "disassemble 1911" or "field strip M-1a" and there's more than enough videos to show you the how-to on whatever you have.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CPD SIG,

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One inventory idea is an encrypted password safe like 1Password. Set up a separate, encrypted vault for firearms info.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
If you travel and have CCW

https://play.google.com/store/...ls?id=ryan.ccw&hl=en

CCW – Concealed Carry 50 State

I purchased this app years ago and it was sufficient. Within the last year or so they went to a yearly fee and refused to honor those that made a one time purchase in the past. Check their reviews. Anyhow, I dropped the app and went with the USCCA app which as far as I can tell has the same information and it's free.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of coltchris
posted Hide Post
https://www.guntrack.app/

I just got this app a couple weeks ago; very satisfied so far.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use gun log.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

That was my first thought too. I'm very careful with my phone but still managed to lose one last year. It only takes a second of distraction or scatterbrain to leave it sitting somewhere and walk away. I never do any banking or anything else that requires secure access on my phone. I don't even have any of the banking apps installed on it. It's only for phone calls, occasional text messaging, GPS, email and a couple of time-waster games.

I keep spreadsheets on my home computer for inventory of guns and ammo, and how many rounds I've fired through (most of) the guns. I've considered writing a desktop app to manage inventories, even started it a couple of times but never finished it. I am occasionally working on a desktop reloading app to manage load recipes and test firing and chronograph results. But I write code for a living, and it tends to be difficult to keep motivated to work on a personal project after I've been pounding my head on an office bug all day.

I have an old-school dedicated shot timer that I bought when I was shooting IPSC decades ago, and it still works. Changing the battery is a PITA because you have to remove a bunch of screws to take the whole back off the thing, but it's still running.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I keep one on my phone in a password protected spreadsheet app which has no back door. Perfectly safe between that and the fact that my phone times out in 3 minutes, has a 6 digit password and will wipe the whole phone after 10 unsuccessful tries to guess the password.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not just NO, but HELL NO! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried any of these but am interested.

https://npxp.com/best-sound-decibel-meter-apps/

"If you want to measure sound/noise with an SPL meter then try these decibel meter apps for free.

All you need is your smartphone and a decibel meter online app. Let’s take a look at all the best decibel/sound meter apps for Android."

"A lot of you have asked how we test silencers for our videos here at Silencer Shop. In this post, I'll explain how it's done. The MIL-STD-1474D is the standard military test to measure potential hearing damage from noise. This is the industry-accepted standard for testing silencers, too. It states that a sound meter is to be placed one meter to the left and level with the muzzle, with the microphone oriented in an upward position. The meter is placed 1.6 meters off the ground. "

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/test-silencers

Read that whole article: there are a LOT of factors in measuring gunfire sound.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post