SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has lack of faith or religion caused a downfall in this country?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has lack of faith or religion caused a downfall in this country? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
sigfreund's question about Adam and Eve in the bible has me thinking. Regardless of how we feel about organized religion or the bible, do you think we as a country have lost our way because of a lack of faith in God, a god, a universal power?

The more I read about leftist ideas and what are in my opinion, truly ridiculous proposals, it seems any kind of faith has gone out the window. And these ideas seem very illogical. Does faith and logic go hand in hand?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Not so much religion itself, but the total rejection of the 'basic', underlying, tenants of most Judeo-Christian religions has created a vacuum, providing no foundation for the development of ethics, morals, and character. And with the nuclear family having been obliterated in this country, there is no familial foundation helping to subsidize these key attributes. It all starts early on....or it doesn't and we end up with what we see today.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Lack of morality IMO. Religion at least Christianity attempts to instill some moral fabric within society IMO. That same morality can be taught by good non-religious parents. However, I think the number of sources for morality teaching is smaller now than ever. Drop in religion, single parent families, "do whatever feels good" generation are all contributing to the moral decay of society IMO.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is a moral failing rather than a religious failing that has caused the problem. I believe it is easy for them to be conflated as most religions provide a strong moral framework. That isn’t the only place a moral education can come from, but it used to be one of, if not the, most common sources of moral education.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Lack of faith = poor ethics & values > Yes

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
simple answer to your question is YES. Just one man's opinion.

Posts: 40 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's lack of faith. I think it's lack of accountability. And what we're seeing these days from the PC police is an over-correction.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. The Bible predicts a “falling away” and also states that “the end is not yet”.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
no

I think the downfall can be attributed to the two generations of leftists and public school indoctrination

also the unfortunately well established concept of entitlement

in short, lack of education and the failure to be able to place blame and have accountability

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Yes.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should ask G-d...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In short, yes. I think organized religion helped a great majority of the population for centuries. In the past two decades, religious affiliation has dropped as a equally dramatic rise in single parenthood, divorce, broken homes and substance abuse.

One example - 50 years ago, waiting for marriage to have sex/create families was generally accepted as the right thing to do and what was best for family, children and communities. Now if you wait for marriage, you’re considered a religious freak. The consequences are clear to me.

Cohabitating couples experience higher rates of divorce. Getting a HS degree, waiting to be married before having children, and working full time nearly guarantee not living in poverty.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, certainly it has, but a greater cause of the current state of this nation is the dissolution of the family.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I think the abandonment of the idea of a universal good has hurt. Situational ethics, subjective truth, etc, leads to rationalization of behavior that otherwise wouldn't happen.

But I agree with Para that the destruction of the family unit has done just as much harm, if not more.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'll add that I think the tech advances play a part, which is ironic because they are supposed to advance us.

Access to any information, and quick. Immediate gratification for any entertainment. Short video clips, youtube. Our devices - constantly checking email and texts, just being able to exchange quick thoughts, not even in complete sentences.

This all contributes to a different social dynamic. Social experiences have changed drastically - in particular for millenials and younger.

I think this contributes to the way people treat each other. The way people go about their responsibilities, work, family etc. And it contributes to this entitlement mentality, where the world is wrong, and you are owed something.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I think the lack of faith in God has resulted in the weaker family unit. Throw in easy to get divorces, drugs, sex, movies, and it’s no wonder the family unit suffers.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m not religious but definitely yes. Not everyone is innately good so fear of punishment is the only thing keeping a certain percentage of people from being turds. Incurring the wrath of an almighty power is about as fearsome as it gets and that’s a good thing for everybody as long as it works and it did for centuries.

For those not so inclined, fear of societal repercussions such as family disapproval and or today’s court system has represented society’s additional lines of defense but unfortunately all are on the ropes right now and we’re seeing the result.

At least that’s my take on it.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
A big fat YES! It used to be morally wrong to commit a crime, but now the possibility of an arrest and everything that goes with that is the deterrent.

I would rather live in a society that doesn’t do wrong for moral reasons than one not doing them due to threat of arrest. Government is society’s god now.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, certainly it has, but a greater cause of the current state of this nation is the dissolution of the family.

Nailed it, Para.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Has declining religion caused it? No.

But declining religion has certainly added to the problem. It is also worth noting that religion hasn't declined just because of the left or secularism.

All on its own, over decades, numerous scandals and bad PR have plagued the publics view of religion. For example:

The obsession with homosexuality and willingness to legislate it
"Don't ask don't tell."
The Catholic churches institutionalized pedophilia
Downfalls of numerous mega-churchs like the Bakers
Existence of people like Joel Osteen
Highly vocal groups like the Phelps WBC
Numerous sects barring women from serving as priests

These and other issues over time have damaged the credibility and moral authority of certain churches, but christianity as a whole.
It is also worth noting that thanks to technology and "social media," people are less likely to be active in their local community.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post