SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO Retirement Question 1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO Retirement Question 1 Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard the “Cops die early” thing forever, but I read a study a while back that completely debunked that compared to other professions or society in general.

Here’s one article about it:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...33-5422-D8D68689BCB0

quote:
We had on hand actuarial reports for police and fire and other groups of public employees for Ohio, Nevada, South Carolina, New York, California, and the District of Columbia and for Dallas police and fire. All of these plans use a version of the RP 2000 mortality tables created by the Society of Actuaries. The plans differ slightly in how they adjust these rates for males and females and for different types of employees. We used the mortality assumptions given in the actuarial reports to construct life expectancies for different employee groups.

The results show very little difference at age 60 in the life expectancy of police and fire as compared with other public employees. The average life expectancy at age 60 for police and firefighters was 24 years for men and 26 years for women. For non-police and fire, the comparable figures were 25 years for men and 27 years for women – just one year longer! And the pattern was quite consistent across states and localities

Another, much older source:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/pr/109485.pdf

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If not, there's always stripping.

Klusk, you might want to look into this!

I think you might be able to make some serious coin!
Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If not, there's always stripping.

Klusk, you might want to look into this!

I think you might be able to make some serious coin!
Wink

If it pays well, I'm in. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve heard the “Cops die early” thing forever, but I read a study a while back that completely debunked that compared to other professions or society in general.

quote:
We had on hand actuarial reports for police and fire and other groups of public employees for Ohio, Nevada, South Carolina, New York, California, and the District of Columbia and for Dallas police and fire. All of these plans use a version of the RP 2000 mortality tables created by the Society of Actuaries. The plans differ slightly in how they adjust these rates for males and females and for different types of employees. We used the mortality assumptions given in the actuarial reports to construct life expectancies for different employee groups.

The results show very little difference at age 60 in the life expectancy of police and fire as compared with other public employees. The average life expectancy at age 60 for police and firefighters was 24 years for men and 26 years for women. For non-police and fire, the comparable figures were 25 years for men and 27 years for women – just one year longer! And the pattern was quite consistent across states and localities

A friend of mine tracks Chicago coppers who die. Every single day I receive an email informing me of the death of at least one Chicago cop that passed away. They are all in their early to late sixties.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Interesting data, but I wonder what that data would show for major cities like Chicago, New York, Baltimore, etc. The amount of stress will no doubt be higher in areas where crime is much higher. I for one, would love to see a more in-depth analysis of this. I will say that I have been to far too many funerals of recent retirees in the last few years and that concerns me. The good news is that the current crop of newer officers tend take better care of themselves with better dieting, exercising and being able to reach out talk to someone without being ostracized from their peers. I can only hope that I get out as many years of retirement as I have put in.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've seen more early deaths due to suicide than anything else.

I'm sure the data is out there for the large departments. But I don't think it is any different. I think the "die within 5 years of retirement" is an old wives tale that we've told over and over until it's become "everybody knows that", like the second link from 1987 says.

Thing is, places would not be in pension trouble if all the cops died early. My agency is the largest in NC, with plenty of crime. Our retirees aren't falling over dead en mass at 55. Or 60. Or 65.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If we're talking cops who waited until mandatory retirement at 65, then I could totally see an average post-retirement lifespan of 5-7 years in those cases.

However, with cops at many agencies able to retire in their mid/late 40s or early 50s (starting early 20s and then going 25-28ish years), then 5-7 years doesn't seem to hold water.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen more early deaths due to suicide than anything else.

I'm sure the data is out there for the large departments. But I don't think it is any different. I think the "die within 5 years of retirement" is an old wives tale that we've told over and over until it's become "everybody knows that", like the second link from 1987 says.

While your observations don't differ much from mine, I will add that the "wisdom" I quoted was from folks who do investment planning to fund retirements. Like insurance companies, they've been collecting data for decades if not centuries.

Modern health trends would have to be extended to make much of a dent in their stats.

It makes them a bit slow to respond to changing trends, but it isn't a short term view

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't qualify for your poll as I've been retired a few years now, but I'll leave you with this:

Look back over your career and think of how many retirees have said "I should have got out sooner, vs. "I should have stayed longer?"

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post