SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Federal Employees Out There
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Federal Employees Out There Login/Join 
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Was in the private sector for 30 years
Currently an "essential" employee of the USA
I go to work no matter what

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
My weekend battle assembly was cancelled because of it. They waited til the very last second to notify us, I was about an hour into my 5 hour drive. Could've been worse though.

In 2013 we still attended and were paid weeks later when the shutdown ended. They probably didn't want to deal with that headache again and cancelled it all together.

Battle Assembly??

Is that what they call “drill weekend” now?

For going on 7 years now, IIRC. I think the good taxpayers felt that "drill weekend" made it sound like their hard-earned dollars were being wasted on us, while "battle assembly" makes it sound like we're being more productive.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend that is DHS. He said if it were to go 4 weeks he'd miss a mortgage payment. It sucks to see how this type of thing affects real folks. He has to go to work. He doesn't get any vacation. Yeah, he'll get pay for what he works once the shutdown is over. But that doesn't help pay the bills when they are due.

In any case I now have a couple grand in an emergency fund and told him he is welcome to it if it comes to that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I've got a friend that is DHS. He said if it were to go 4 weeks he'd miss a mortgage payment. It sucks to see how this type of thing affects real folks. He has to go to work. He doesn't get any vacation. Yeah, he'll get pay for what he works once the shutdown is over. But that doesn't help pay the bills when they are due.

In any case I now have a couple grand in an emergency fund and told him he is welcome to it if it comes to that.

My son works at the USMS but is actually employed through a contractor. This is his first real job, he has had it for 7 months, and now he is out, of course. He lives frugally, best you can in the DC area and has worked hard to save but will be in trouble if this goes more than a month.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
He doesn't get any vacation.
Not just vacation. "Essential" employees are not allowed to take any type of leave, including sick leave, during a shutdown. Any essential employee who does not come to work, for any reason (even sick leave that would normally qualify under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)), is in "AWOL" status, and can be disciplined, including termination.

Had a family vacation planned for this week? You're out the money for those flights and hotels. Your kid is scheduled for surgery this week? Too bad. Hopefully your spouse can handle it alone. Spouse needs home care after a rough round of chemo? Tough, I hope you have other relatives who can help, or can afford to hire a nurse. All those are real world examples people I know dealt with on previous shutdowns.

It does suck for those who are living paycheck to paycheck, but most creditors make allowances for the shutdown, knowing they will paid when it's all done. So they might delay a house or car payment, but still have to buy groceries, buy gas for the car, etc. However, the inability to take care of your family, like any other normal person, sure is horrible for many.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
As a former contractor (employee of contracting companies) with the Military, govt. shutdowns were generally a pita. But for Civil Service employees, it was basically a vacation, since they went home on what would normally be a workday, but get paid later for the days they weren't allowed to come to work. And during the downturn, us contractors would work to keep things going, but we would only work if our employers were willing to provide our labor "at risk" - that is, the contracting employer is paying his people without being paid by the govt., with the expectation that their clients would eventually pay them for the days the govt. employees stayed home. The whole thing is always without exception a political clusterfuck, and left military leaders and our SES management clients stuck working around the shit they were delt from the hill. It's truly one of the stupidest things the US govt. is really good at these days - fucking up really big things on a predictable and regular basis. But ultimately it's the fault of stupid voters voting for stupid candidates.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yup. Uniformed LEO, so essential. I'm not allowed to do anything but respond to emergencies; I can't even do routine patrol.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Essential" employees are not allowed to take any type of leave, including sick leave, during a shutdown. Any essential employee who does not come to work, for any reason (even sick leave that would normally qualify under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)), is in "AWOL" status, and can be disciplined, including termination.

What if they get... sick?
There's a flu epidemic going around. If they come in they will spread it to everyone else.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
"Essential" employees are not allowed to take any type of leave, including sick leave, during a shutdown. Any essential employee who does not come to work, for any reason (even sick leave that would normally qualify under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)), is in "AWOL" status, and can be disciplined, including termination.

There's a flu epidemic going around. If they come in they will spread it to everyone else.
Right now I am literally sick. I have to go to work tomorrow.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
All the more reason to have 1-2 months of expenses available for emergencies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Right now I am literally sick. I have to go to work tomorrow.

There is a lot of bad information being put out there about this. We all heard it last shutdown. If you missed work for ANY reason you would be furloughed for the duration.

This time around they are telling us that we would only be furloughed for the day/days we missed.

The reason being, how can you be essential one day and then not the next?

See F 2A.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-dat...utdown-furloughs.pdf

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post