SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Federal Employees Out There
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Federal Employees Out There Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Fed. Lived through shutdowns and near-shutdowns.

I am "non-essential," which will astonish the various prosecutors I'll be calling Monday morning as I facilitate the "orderly shutdown of government." I get to explain to them that if they need me for something urgent and court-related (the only things that will prompt my agency to recall me during the furlough) they shouldn't call my work phone, or message my work e-mail, because I'm not allowed-- under penalty of disciplinary action up to removal from government service-- to violate the Anti-Deficiency Act by "performing work" and answering or even checking those things. The few "essentials" in my place (managers and HQ overhead) can probably reach me by personal phone if it's something emergent and they can maybe convince the head shed that my status should change.

Yes. Really. Meanwhile, the statute of limitations runs on crimes I investigate, preservation orders expire, and state/local counterparts shrug and wonder when I'll get back to join cases where I'm a moving part.

I am not even a little bit unique in how this whole essential/non-essential/furloughed/excepted insanity affects me or my work.

Bozman, with or without back pay, this shit isn't victimless, and your "wish" is damned shortsighted.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I hated going back. I had to input all those days time cards for my 24 workers. 7 digits which denoted type of absence. Slow typer here.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DennisM...

All I can say is, "Oh well, welcome to the real world". No job is guaranteed and sometimes even good workers get shafted. You chose to work for the government, so you are at the mercy of your puppet-masters.

A majority of American's who work in the private sector and who are at the mercy of federal, state and local bureaucrats have been living this shit all of their adult lives. Elected and unelected bureaucrats that, at the drop of the hat, can makeup or reinterpret the rules/regs and affect if and how one is allowed to make a living with little regard for who it may affect.

Remember, the reason you are potentially out of work for a little while is because Democrats overplayed their hand and put the plight of illegal immigrants over American citizens, even those who work in government service.

The only people I have pity for right now and are concerned about are warfighters and those that directly support warfighters, police and other first responders.

I hope the effects of this shutdown (which appears will not last very long at this point) will not sting too much.

Enjoy your vacation.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remeber, the reason you are potentially out of work for a little while is because Democrats overplayed their hand and put the plight of illegal immigrants over American citizens, even those who work in government service.The only people I have pity for right now and are concerned about are warfighters and those that directly support warfighters, police and other first responders.

Bozman is knocking it out of the park tonight.

Right on target, and I'm with him. I'm not a fed but my building is paid for by them, so for now, I'm shut down too. I'm not concerned. Shutter the fucker for all I care. I'm down for the struggle for however long it takes to make the Dem pukes see the light - that illegals are a non-starter for the rest of this nation.

If that means I eventually need to find a new job, well, I was looking when I found this one.

Fuck 'em.

Signed Sincerely,

quasi-government employee

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
DennisM...

All I can say is, "Oh well, welcome to the real world". No job is guaranteed and sometimes even good workers get shafted. You chose to work for the government, so you are at the mercy of your puppet-masters.

A majority of American's who work in the private sector and who are at the mercy of federal, state and local bureaucrats have been living this shit all of their adult lives. Elected and unelected bureaucrats that, at the drop of the hat, can makeup or reinterpret the rules/regs and affect if and how one is allowed to make a living with little regard for who it may affect.

Remeber, the reason you are potentially out of work for a little while is because Democrats overplayed their hand and put the plight of illegal immigrants over American citizens, even those who work in government service.

The only people I have pity for right now and are concerned about are warfighters and those that directly support warfighters, police and other first responders.

I hope the effects of this shutdown (which appears will not last very long at this point) will not sting too much.

Enjoy your vacation.

Cool. You revel in the big ol' oppressive meanie-head civil servants getting a taste of private-sector uncertainty. Because me not being allowed to do my job, even if I offered to do it for free, will CERTAINLY make government less oppressive and will stick it to whoever took your figurative lunch money, right?

You don't get it. It doesn't sting. I can weather a few weeks or even months on the bricks, with or without back pay, because I did the responsible thing for the last 20 years and saved. It sucks because while fucking politicians are fiddling under some theory that Rome won't be allowed to burn, with "excepted" functions and all, it still will because we're just not set up for forced "vacations."

I work primarily frauds. Since they're not violent crimes, the agency finds it easier to explain why I'm non-essential. But they're still perishable, they still age, they become more difficult to prove as witnesses die, records are purged as part of normal business, statutes of limitations run, and proceeds are dissipated. That translates to bad guys NOT being prosecuted and victims-- often including private citizens as well as the .gov-- not seeing a dime of restitution.

But you're cool with that, right?

Wishing for a shutdown because you have a personal bitch with something SOME corner of the .gov did to you or someone you know is like wishing for a bubonic plague epidemic because you're tired of long lines at the stadium men's room. There are always unintended consequences to that approach.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DennisM...

I am glad that this shutdown will not cause you too much pain... sincerely. And I am not opposed to the government. I am opposed to the size and scope of the government as it exists today and the power many of its employees wield with little regard for the average Joe.

I have no illusions that this is going to change the size of government or how it operates and I know some may be inconvenienced by this, but again, I won't lose sleep over it. Shit happens, deal with it.

As for the specific harm this is going to do to your work, the victims that you advocate for/attempt to get justice for, well that sucks for them too. But how much harm is this truly going to do? Are a few days to a couple of weeks going to see all of the evidence purged, all of the victims/witnesses die, the statues of limitations run out? No, it is not and I think that is a bit dramatic.

You know the pussies in Washington will not let this continue for too long and they are already working on "fixing it". Also, this administration has stated that they are not going to weaponize this and allow departments and agencies to use money that has already been allocated/already sitting there, but not yet spent.

In the end, you will still have a job, your cases will still be there and the victims will see the justice they deserve if the evidence is there and the courts don't fuck it up for them.

The important takeaway from this is that Trump did not cave, he did not make a bad deal, the illegals are not receiving a windfall by having citizenship to the greatest country in the world handed to them by way of committing a crime. Most of all, he continues to beat the dems at their own game and hammer the dems so bigly that we may still pick up seats in the senate, enough to allow Trump to keep fixing everything that is wrong with government. And it is only going to cost us a few days of the government not busting our balls about stupid shit and most government employees getting a small paid vacation.

When all is said and done, I will count this as a win as I imagine most on this forum will.

Respectfully,

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Life isn't fair. I have no objection to them shutting down the government. I may change that opinion in a while. What I do object to is paying them. Its my belief, maybe unfounded, that the majority of the federal workers vote wrong. It would be good for those who supported the hag and voted wrong in the other races to suffer for their sins.
Life isn't fair but if I don't get paid for the work I do, what would you call that? I'm deemed essential and have to work. I grew up learning life wasn't fair (younger brother). I didn't vote for the hag. I didn't vote for any of my reps. For those who didn't vote for the Hag, should we suffer for their sins?

Do you actually not get paid, or is your pay deferred?

Who I'd like to see not get paid is the politicians. Personally, I'd like to see those ******s (let's go with individuals) all locked in the capitol until they figure it out. No going out for food, no leaving to take a shower, nothing but stay there and work until they have a budget (screw this continuing resolution crud). Oh, and they don't get paid a dime (no salary, no per diem, no nothing) for any time that they don't have a current budget. No fricking back pay for those clowns either. Get it done on time or you suffer pols. Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Retired Army.

Pretty sure I'll eventually receive my checks, though they may be delayed.

But I'll gladly accept late payment in return for the Democrat Party hypocrisy being fully exposed. The Democrats are going to own this shut down.

Go ahead, Mr. Schumer. Shut it down. Everyone will see where you and your party's true loyalties and priorities are. And it's going to HURT you come November.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one here. My agency is heavily funded by fees for service (about 30% appropriated funds, roughly 70% fees), so we'll be working a while. I could use a week furlough to take care of some personal business, though. And as Sapper says, I remembered that shutdown a few years ago when I voted twice since then...

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the mail is on time today.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
The funds that pay my salary for the rest of the FY are already in house, so I'm good to go for awhile.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
All this over ILLEGALS?
Just "Bounty" them they will either leave or get FEMA Camped in the middle of Nowhere, process and deport.
The DACA's are NOT Children, they can reunite with their people and discover their roots like Kunty Kintay did in the TV series.
The DREAMERS (3.6 MILLION of them) can dream back in the shithole the came from. AMERICAN Children have a dream too.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Fed. (Justice)

I work in the Field, soooo....

I'm at work...and will get paid...whenever?

It was interesting. During a shutdown...

All leave is cancelled. My GF wanted to go on a cruise that would have gone into next week.

I have too much stuff going on and we didn't go...

So that worked out.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dems are just posturing to let their base know they are part of the "RESISTANCE!!"

And also to make the President look bad after he blamed the last shutdown on Obama. Schumer couldn't wait to post that video on Twitter.

I think it will be over by monday. I am supposed to go TDY in a few weeks so it has to be over soon!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you actually not get paid, or is your pay deferred?

Last shutdown, nobody in my office got paid or received back pay. The days off didn't get charged against our leave balance, but there was no pay or TSP contributions for the duration and none thereafter. Backpay is largely a myth from what I've seen.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
BB, are you sure about that? There were unpaid individual days of involuntary vacation but not continuous.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The DACA's are NOT Children, they can reunite with their people and discover their roots like Kunty Kintay did in the TV series.

That was funny. Maybe they should make Roots required viewing. LOL

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My weekend battle assembly was cancelled because of it. They waited til the very last second to notify us, I was about an hour into my 5 hour drive. Could've been worse though.

In 2013 we still attended and were paid weeks later when the shutdown ended. They probably didn't want to deal with that headache again and cancelled it all together.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would venture to say that close to 50% of the SF memberhip are employed in government at some level. Waaaaaaaaaay to many.

Do not agree at all. I think we have quite a few entrepreneurs. Where did you get your figures? There are a few bureaucratic types on the Forum, but not that many.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
My weekend battle assembly was cancelled because of it. They waited til the very last second to notify us, I was about an hour into my 5 hour drive. Could've been worse though.

In 2013 we still attended and were paid weeks later when the shutdown ended. They probably didn't want to deal with that headache again and cancelled it all together.

Battle Assembly??

Is that what they call “drill weekend” now?

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post