SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Friends, Romans, Motorcycle affecianados, Lend me your ears... EDIT: I BOUGHT IT. Update page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friends, Romans, Motorcycle affecianados, Lend me your ears... EDIT: I BOUGHT IT. Update page 2 Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Stick,

A 1986 GSXR-750 is my grail bike. Finding one that is original, low mileage, not painted neon green with a 6ft swing arm is another story. Back around 1999 I passed up an all original 1986 GSXR-1100 that sold for ~$5500. Last respectable 750 I found was $16,000.

I have quite a few bikes in that era I’m always looking for. Either of the Honda or Kawasaki in-line 6 cylinders. Pretty much any late 70’s in-line four.

I’ve always had a love for the V-Max. As impractical as a bike as it, the engine and sound is soul stirring.

Maybe it’s the recent sale of the Bullitt mustang. I have a feeling these legendary classic bikes will be very collectible in the not so distant future.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
There are a lot of variables in that question. What type of riding do you plan on doing? Do you have a price range? What style of bike do you prefer? How tall are you (think seat height)?

You can get a lot of answers, and all can be correct. A 650 could be an ideal first bike, big enough to grow into, but not small enough you’ll quickly become bored. The good news is most entry level bikes keep their resale value. You can ride it a season or two, and probably sell it for what you paid for, if you bought it used. Any new bike purchase will take a depreciation hit.

One of the most important tidbits I can offer is, if you live in a deer infested area, I’d highly recommend avoiding riding around dusk/dawn. Ask me how I know this. Lol...

And wear all the gear, all the time. I’m alive because of this.

Beginning rider - will probably be partial day rides in the near future. I prefer to sit relaxed and up so as to not put stress on the back and extremities. No twisty roads - maybe gentle curves. I'm 6'2", but not really long legs. Trying to keep the initial investment reasonable while I learn and decide where I might go later.

No deer in the immediate area, and I'm not likely to be a fast rider. Looking for additional hobbies as I get closer to retirement. Looking into groups in the area that have beginner rider groups.

I belong to a SCUBA diving club that has a sub-group of motorcycle riders. Don't know how quickly I'll be ready to go on one of their rides - will probably start off just going part of the distance.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
SigSac, check out Bay Area Rider's Forum (BARF).

Learn about ATGATT and practice it. Take the rider's safety course, perhaps later get involved with California Superbike School once you are comfortable on your ride.

FWIW, choppers are good for learning because both feet can touch the ground and they are more forgiving overall. I ride an ST - Sport Touring - bike, more upright and good for long trips, but still capable of high performance. You may ultimately find that to your liking.

Check out a 250/300cc bike for a starter as well as a chopper, see which one is right for you.

Best to you in your endeavors. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Congrats on possibly getting the bike you wanted.

The VMax was built for one thing, going fast, quickly in a straight line, sort of like the old Muscle Cars.

Since you're just starting out then go take a motorcycle training course, if there is a HD dealer near you they have an approved course and provide the bikes, all new and it's a good course. They dont' care if you ride a HD or Hondayamasaki. It also gets you your endorsement qualification if you don't already have it, and a discount on insurance.

Take your time, and be sure the brakes, pads rotors fluids are up to snuff as well as the other bits because that's one bike that can get to hyperspeed before you know it...

Ride safe, have fun!

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the safety training course last month - CA CHP has a training curriculum, and places around the state teach from it. As noted earlier, we rode the HD Street 500 (with the big orange crash bars, no less). I got the completion certificate, and already received the updated license in the mail.

I've been looking around and reading, and it appears that the Kawasaki Versys 650 LT is a good first bike that I won't grow out of for a while. There are a couple used ones at some dealers in the area. We have some bad weather coming in tomorrow, so it will probably be the weekend before I get a chance to take a test ride and see what kind of deal I can achieve.

I looked at the Vulcan and the Yamaha Bolt. The reviews on the Bolt indicated that it wouldn't be as good on highway roads. The Versys is a step above the Vulcan for not much more cost. I also didn't want to start with anything too heavy or expensive.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
SigSAC, I almost always tell people to learn on the dirt first. Not only do you learn the "physics" of motorcycle riding, it is much more forgiving when you crash.

But you are past that point. LOL. Most motorcycle courses offer a beginner and advanced class, but most probably have a time frame between one and the other. I'd suggest to take both, not only will it give you valuable insight, it may drop your insurance depending on your state.

Be defensive. The nice thing about this, you can practice while driving a car. On a bike, the situation is different. Other drivers are inadvertently or intentionally trying to kill you. That SUV at stop sign, they will probably pull in front of you. The Mustang inching through an intersection, probably doesn't notice you. That big ass Tahoe riding in your blind spot is a soccer mom communicating on FaceTime. That full size Dodge coming up behind you 30mph faster than traffic is pissed off you are in his way. You get my point. At stop lights/signs, if you are the first to stop, pay attention to your mirrors, the car behind you may not stop since they are looking at the light/sign, and probably not you. If you are behind a car at a light/sign, angle your bike so if you do get hit, you get pushed away from the vehicle in front of you, and not into it.

Be prepared for the unexpected. Wear the gear, all the time. Things can happen, that are totally out of your control. I thought I had it bad when I hit a deer, but there is a local guy that actually had a deer jump off an overpass, and land on top of him. Shit happens. Dress appropriately.

I started riding at age 5, all dirt until I was 18. Rode a street bike until I was 35. Had two back to back incidents within 6 months. One on a dirtbike, the other on a streetbike. Looking back, I really didn't do anything wrong. It just happened. That's when I said "Fuck it", I'm done riding. And I did quit for 13 years.

I had a friend who got hurt very badly on a sportbike. When I still rode, every time I got on my bike, I thought of him. He was foolish, riding like an idiot, and had a rear tire blowout, and slammed into a parked car about 80mph. He did have a helmet on, but he was in the hospital for at least a year. I have lost touch with him, but I doubt he is back to living a normal life. Just think about the consequences before they happen. Any roadrage incidents, just back off. Either speed up, slow down, or pull over.

I have a bike addiction. But I am purposely limiting my riding, because of pretty much everything I mentioned above. If I can ride once or twice a month, and have a bike in my garage I love, my addiction is sufficed.

I think your Versys will be a good beginner bike. Stick to backroads for awhile, get the feel for the bike. My favorite type of riding is getting lost, and finding my way home. Either on the dirt or street. The Versys probably can do both.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Vmax is my grail bike. I owned a 83 V45 Magna for many years. Then I sold it and didn't ride for about 10 years. I then bought a 84 V65 Magna. I have 2 young boys and every time I rode it I thought about what would happen if I wrecked. It took the joy out of riding. Maybe some day I'll get me Vmax, but at this point I doubt it. Have fun with it, I'm jealous.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
1967Goat,

I am in the same boat. In 2005, I hit a deer. Not too many people survive that. I got lucky as hell. The next day, we found out my wife was pregnant with my 2nd son. It definitely was a defining moment in my left. Motorcycles are the only thing in my life that I had always been involved in. But I decided to give it up, with the thought that maybe, some day, I’ll ride again once my kids are on their own. They are now almost 17 and 14, so I’m probably pushing it a little faster than I expected.

I’ve always had a thing for old bikes, you don’t need to ride them to enjoy them. You can admire them standing still. Friends ask me why I want to buy an old bike, I guess they don’t understand. Even though this V-Max is only 17y/o. I’m purposely buying an older bike to limit my actual riding time, even registering it as a “classic” vehicle, which by my state’s definition is not to be ridden more than once a week. Lol.

If things go as planned, I’ll have my V-Max. It is a little rough looking, but almost all original. I plan on getting it back to the way I think the previous owner would have wanted. But it will take awhile. I’ll just enjoy the process of getting it there, with an occasional ride.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
I took the safety training course last month - CA CHP has a training curriculum, and places around the state teach from it. As noted earlier, we rode the HD Street 500 (with the big orange crash bars, no less). I got the completion certificate, and already received the updated license in the mail.

I've been looking around and reading, and it appears that the Kawasaki Versys 650 LT is a good first bike that I won't grow out of for a while. There are a couple used ones at some dealers in the area. We have some bad weather coming in tomorrow, so it will probably be the weekend before I get a chance to take a test ride and see what kind of deal I can achieve.

I looked at the Vulcan and the Yamaha Bolt. The reviews on the Bolt indicated that it wouldn't be as good on highway roads. The Versys is a step above the Vulcan for not much more cost. I also didn't want to start with anything too heavy or expensive.
I took the MSF course last spring and the instructor was a retired California highway patrol motorcycle officer. On the second day (after he had seen me ride 1.5 days), I asked him what he’d recommend for me. It was a Honda Shadow which I hadn’t previously considered. It has a lower center of gravity than the HD 500 you rode and the Versys you’re considering. Lower cg bikes are easier to handle. It also has a 750 in it.

I bought a 3 year old mint condition Honda Shadow with 1100 miles a week later. It’s been a great first bike.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know about the v-boost butterfly valve. That sounds pretty cool actually I want to ride one now. My uncle used to have a V-Max and anytime the topic of motos comes up he talks about that bike, how fast it was and how much he misses it. I let him take my Honda CB-1 for a spin a few years ago and he was shocked at how fun the little high revving machine was....it was probably extra exciting for him due to the fact that he hadn’t ridden a motorcycle in well over a decade.

There is NOTHING like riding, it is how I clear my mind and it’s helped me stay sane. All the anxiety, stress and bullshit in life vaporizes and for a short while it’s just me, my bike, it’s glorious howl and rolling country roads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

I’m in the market for an old (black) BMW motorcycle if anybody has any leads.

Just sayin’
Check BMWMOA -- BMW Motorcycle Owners Association. You will find some in the classifieds. Don't hold your breath looking for a super bargain; you might find one, but that would be a rare occurrence.

An acquaintance has an excellent shop, servicing BMWs. He also restores older ones, the vintage that you are probably looking for. He is in Deland FL, post here or email me if you want details. He races (unless he is retired from that) vintage BMWs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Stick, it gets better...

I was asking the brother in law about a non-stock braided hose, coming out of the crankcase. He wasn’t sure, so I asked about it on a V-Max forum.

It’s for a Stage 7 jet kit. It basically eliminates the V-boost (the butterfly valve in the intake), so it is open all the time. With the right exhaust, it adds 10-15hp across the entire RPM range.

I got some reassurance, the deceased owner was an airline mechanic, and very meticulous with his “toys”. This could be a 160hp, 95ft/lb bike.

I didn’t put it through it’s paces. It is intimidating. But it definitely felt extremely strong, even at under 7,000rpm.

Stay tuned...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Waiting with baited breath and living vicariously through you.

My interests are peaked by the Yamaha Raider, especially the ones with aftermarket pipes (the OME are not attractive to me). One day...

Post pics when you get it!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I bought it today, will be dropped off tonight. Mechanic looked at it today, and said other than a few cosmetic (rust) issues, it is in excellent shape. He recommended replacing two breather hoses that started to dry rot, but mechanically it is in perfect shape.

The major things I will do is get the seat reupholstered, it has a duct tape patch job. And the rear suspension will need addressed. The springs are completely rusted over. But I figure for a few hundred bucks, I can get this thing close to factory condition.

I don’t have any major plans for it, I’d like to keep it as original as possible, as a tribute to the original deceased owner. It will always be his bike.

Holy Crap, I own a V-Max!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats.
I browse the Houston CL listings from time to time, hoping a seal of a deal falls into my lap.

Missed my chance at VTail's 2 BMWs. Timing & distance weren't working in my favor there.

Until then, just short trips on the Indian Scout that lives in my garage.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
AWESOME! Congrats!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hahhahahhah! Awesome!! WELCOME BACK TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF TWO WHEELS!!! Big Grin

One of the most amazing feelings in the world is brining your new motorcycle home. Congrats dude. That is one hell of a cool way to return to riding. From the research I’ve done (I have not had the pleasure of riding one yet) I have heard they are an absolute hoot to ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I had a 1989, bought new in 1991.

I would do the following:

Corbin seat.
Replace rear shocks with 1/2" taller Progressive Suspension shocks and their springs plus heavier oil in the fork. They did this for me at Americade in 1991 and it totally transformed the handling from a freight train that didn't want to change direction to a dancing bear. Throw it hard into a corner and it holds that line regardless of bumps and dips.
Ditch the Stage 7 kit and restore the V-boost. The butterfly valve that opens at 6k was designed to mimic a nitrous button and it does! The bike has plenty of power off idle in stock form. Enjoy the tire chirp when the boost hits!

Braided steel brake lines, if it doesn't already have them. 625 lbs is a lot to stop and the original lines are probably toast. EBC made some upgraded pads that had a good reputation.

Enjoy!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Waiting with baited breath and living vicariously through you.
You mean "bated breath"--a cat at a mousehole who has eaten ripe cheese has "baited breath". This is a common mistake. Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Stick, it gets better...

I was asking the brother in law about a non-stock braided hose, coming out of the crankcase. He wasn’t sure, so I asked about it on a V-Max forum.

It’s for a Stage 7 jet kit. It basically eliminates the V-boost (the butterfly valve in the intake), so it is open all the time. With the right exhaust, it adds 10-15hp across the entire RPM range.

I got some reassurance, the deceased owner was an airline mechanic, and very meticulous with his “toys”. This could be a 160hp, 95ft/lb bike.

I didn’t put it through it’s paces. It is intimidating. But it definitely felt extremely strong, even at under 7,000rpm.

Stay tuned...

With the 'right exhaust', and an opened up airbox (or individual air cleaners w/ velocity stacks) it sounds just like a Small Block Chevy V8! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8864 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post