SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Evening in DC / Arlington - Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evening in DC / Arlington - Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I found out yesterday at 3:30 that I'm going to DC today. Quick in/out trip, but I should have some time this evening, depending on traffic. I get to IAD at 5PM.....
I'm staying in Arlington at the Hilton Garden Inn - any suggestions for good food or sights to see (very) nearby? I've never been to DC & would really like to see the monuments/museums, but I just couldn't work the time in. I could've stayed an extra day, but the wife would have strung me up (she gets to solo with a 3-month old).

Google maps scale can be deceiving, but I'm very close to the capitol - is it worth driving by just to see? That's about all I'll have time for.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Traffic from DC/Arlington to IAD at rush hours is a bear, so allow 45-60 minutes travel time to get there.

There's 2 or 3 Hilton Garden Inns in Arlington. Which location are you staying at? The Courthouse one is walking distance to Arlington National Cemetery and/or Iwo Jima if you are able to walk a piece. The Courthouse and Airport locations are both near Metro subway stations. If nothing else, it's a short ride over the river into DC to see the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Vets memorial, etc. They are all lit up at night.

One place to eat is the Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you only have one night, I'd go check out Lincoln Memorial at night. If you have a decent camera or a modern phone you should be able to get some pretty darn good pics.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm at the Hilton near Arlington National Cemetery. I see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is open until 8:30, I will definitely try to make that one.
Looks like I have 2 nights now, but might be very short nights.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Mall at night. Lincoln, Koren, wwII and the other monuments are all spectacular at night. Tonight should be a good even. Maybe a little chilly but nice out.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I would hit this place for dinner. It's sorta on your way from the Dulles.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/amoos-restaurant-mclean

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Cemetery is right near the Courthouse Metro station. You can take the Metro to nearly anywhere in D.C. you might want to visit (until about 11pm). For example, Courthouse on the Orange Line to L'Enfant Plaza, which will place you right on the Mall near the Air & Space Museum. From there, you can walk west toward the Lincoln Memorial, or east toward the Capitol.

Pretty much everything worth seeing is in that general area, so give yourself about 30 minutes travel each way, and keep your rental car parked at the hotel.

https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/index.cfm

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Find out the most recent winner of the crabcake contest, and eat there.

I wish I could remember the details of the place when I did that ~25 years ago. It was pretty basic, run by and favored by blacks, had a band, seemed like it was near the river, in DC, kind of out of the way, and I will never be able to find better crab cakes again. Lordy those were good.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Metro should be easy but if you don't want to use it Uber and Lift should be easy to get a ride anywhere in the area.

I've walked the mall area at all times of night. Really nice e down there with no crowds.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
The Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Cemetery is right near the Courthouse Metro station. You can take the Metro to nearly anywhere in D.C. you might want to visit (until about 11pm). For example, Courthouse on the Orange Line to L'Enfant Plaza, which will place you right on the Mall near the Air & Space Museum. From there, you can walk west toward the Lincoln Memorial, or east toward the Capitol.

Pretty much everything worth seeing is in that general area, so give yourself about 30 minutes travel each way, and keep your rental car parked at the hotel.

https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/index.cfm

Doh! This hillbilly never thinks of bus/trains to get around. I curse traffic when I have to wait for 2-3 vehicles to get on the highway in the morning.....
Heading out on foot, should be a nice night to get out.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed seeing the memorials at night, especially the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and for a true tingle the Korean War Memorial. My favorite place to eat when I am in downtown DC is the Old Ebbitt Grill. The food is great and it has history

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is like now, but the Crystal City Restayrant on 23rd St. a block away from your hotel used to be the premier topless bar in NoVA, maybe still is. Much better "sights" than the monuments! Decent burgers too.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I don't know what it is like now, but the Crystal City Restayrant on 23rd St. a block away from your hotel used to be the premier topless bar in NoVA, maybe still is. Much better "sights" than the monuments! Decent burgers too.

Funny you should mention that place. Maybe 15 years ago I was in Crystal City for work. It was around dinner time and I dinner want to deal with traffic back to MD so I hit up a friend that worked in the area. He said let's go to the Crystal City Resturant they have good food. Not knowing the area I said sure. He didn't say until we were inside.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only place I can really think of that's know for crabcakes in the area is Phillips. But you really need to get closer to Baltimore for the best ones. And crab season doesn't start until April. Out of season, or even early in season, you'ge gonna be getting crabmeat from the Gulf or if you're unlucky, overseas.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

The only place I can really think of that's know for crabcakes in the area is Phillips. But you really need to get closer to Baltimore for the best ones. And crab season doesn't start until April. Out of season, or even early in season, you'ge gonna be getting crabmeat from the Gulf or if you're unlucky, overseas.

Where is Phillip's? They tore it down to redo the waterfront. Didn't notice it's location. Still next to The Wharf, or did they move somewhere else?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post